So...Who shipped very little?

cartertucker

Id love to hear from those that shipped very little over....:wubclub:

:chatterbox:

What made you decide not to take much?

Are you happy with your choice?

Anything you wish you had shipped?

How hard (expensive) have you found it to buy almost all things again?

We are planning on only shipping over very few items...

Kids toys, a couple of good quality mattresses, a few tvs/games consoles & photos/paperwork :yes:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
play station? women hinna time to play ps s you shud hae ironing te dee:laugh: and chores:mad::policeman:off topic stace

sexist pig lol. its daves ps3, we werent going to bring anything at all but im just thinking about things like photos and little ornaments that i might like to bring. might be able to just bring the more important things in my suitcase

Kids toys, a couple of good quality mattresses, a few tvs/games consoles & photos/paperwork :yes:

Excellent idea,

We dont intend to take very much either, thinking of buying most furniture new when we get there!

Gary & Sue

Thanks for starting this thread, was something i was going to ask the other day but forgot. cant decide wether to bring a few things with us!

Guest SupportPants

Ship absolutely everything - unless you don't like it or it's cheap junk. The cost (choice far lower) of replacing furniture, clothes, books, DVDs and so on will be far far more than the saving on a container. If we were doing it again I would have bought alot more books for the move (the price of just one book here is often around $30), I'd have brought the car, new bikes, filled up on several years supply of trainers and sports kit etc , nice picnic stuff, cool tents.

The UK has an excellent retail scene with lots of bargains to be had. Australia doesn't - things are nonsensically expensive and the choices are extremely limited.

Are there not deals over there? like at Ikea etc. we lived in a private rented house which was furnished but now we've moved back in with parents for a few months so we wont have any furniture to bring over. We're just hoping to find a furnished apartment for a while and then try and start from scratch once we find somewhere more permanent to stay

Guest SupportPants
Are there not deals over there? like at Ikea etc. we lived in a private rented house which was furnished but now we've moved back in with parents for a few months so we wont have any furniture to bring over. We're just hoping to find a furnished apartment for a while and then try and start from scratch once we find somewhere more permanent to stay

There's an Ikea in a few of the major cities I think. If you are going to Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne you could buy stuff there but on an exchange rate basis your savings would buy much more in the UK than here - prices still work on 2.5 equivalent to UK generally. You could keep a container in storage until you want to furnish your place. An easy way to make a few bucks would probably to fill it up with cheap stuff and sell it here.

Guest lkquick

Having recently got quotes it costs about £4000 for a whole 20 ft container which will fit most of our house into, which will be loads cheaper than buying all that stuff again as we do have some reasonable quality furniture.

There's an Ikea in a few of the major cities I think. If you are going to Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne you could buy stuff there but on an exchange rate basis your savings would buy much more in the UK than here - prices still work on 2.5 equivalent to UK generally. You could keep a container in storage until you want to furnish your place. An easy way to make a few bucks would probably to fill it up with cheap stuff and sell it here.

I think we will be going to perth if we move over. I'll have a look at Ikea, gumtree etc once we've started the visa ball rolling.

Thanks for the info :)

Personally I would bring most things. The cost of shipping would be far less than buying everything new. I would also stock up on bedding, towels, toiletries as everything is so expensive here. We left some things as thought it would be more cost effective to buy new. Its not. Plus for me personally it was so lovely to unpack all my things from home.

We are taking very little, just cases and clothes we stand up in. We will ship only couple of boxes of toys and books. We reckoned that by time we paid for shipping container, and van to move it all from Melbourne, will be cheaper to start afresh and buy new over there. Also, none of our gear is good quality, only bought in dribs and drabs and none matches so will be glad to get shot and start with new gear. Good chance to have massive cleansing!

We are taking very little, just cases and clothes we stand up in. We will ship only couple of boxes of toys and books. We reckoned that by time we paid for shipping container, and van to move it all from Melbourne, will be cheaper to start afresh and buy new over there. Also, none of our gear is good quality, only bought in dribs and drabs and none matches so will be glad to get shot and start with new gear. Good chance to have massive cleansing!

Same here, We would have to go and buy everything new here then ship it over, dont have anything worthwhile bringing over except maybe a few things like playstation but not sure if he'll even bother with that. Its quite sad that we wont have anything to unpack but I also like the idea of starting completely fresh

This time, due to different circumstances, we are taking everything but the kitchen sink in a 40ft container.

Last time, we moved to Greece and I was allowed to take 2 enormous cardboard boxes full. We had 3 children under 4 at the time and we managed on what we took.

The priority was to make them feel at home when they got there. Main items - car seats (which took up a lot of the space).

Familiar bedding - favourite quilt cover or pillow case

Childrens books and toys.

Stock of prescription medicines and things like calpol.

Any clothes that wont go in hand baggage ( eg footie boots for your middle child)

Ask each child if they could take 1 thing, what would it be. Then try to accomodate it.

Foldable travel cot and cot bedding

Computer if it won't go in your suitcases when you fly

Any school stuff they will need

That's it!

We then stocked the empty house with the equivalent of Asda smart price everything.

If we were doing the same this time, I would buy almost all furniture and appliances second hand from ebay, gumtree etc. There are often really good quality nearly new things that people are parting with at rock bottom prices.

Mmm, interesting replys :wideeyed: I often hear people saying we should buy towels & bedding....

I cant believe that a towel would be that much more expensive in Australia....Really, is it! :eek:

hope yer man is taken his tools kel?

He wasnt planning on taking them, as really unsure about the cleaning side of things :confused: I wonder if he should though?

If he got a job with a company (rather than being his own boss, as he is here) wouldnt they supply the tools?? :unsure:

Not to turn this thread into a 'towel issue' :laugh:

But have just done a little research on towels......:embarrassed:

These are 'basic' towels, but just for a comparison:

Target ~ Australia ~ Hand towel $4.00

Asda ~ Uk ~ Hand towel £3.00

.......approx 50p in it & the asda towel currently has 27p off!

Archived