Perth cost of living

Guest chrisphysio

cheers fiona, i agree things here definitely arent cheap anymore. our shopping bills arent getting more expensive but we are buying less and less most weeks. and dont even get me started on how much it costs to heat the house lol. i feel so sorry for the older people who worry about paying their gas bills in winter

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

Costs just as much to cool your home here in Summer....food is not so expensive...I dont think so anyway...petrol is 50% more expensive here now than when we arrived 3 yrs ago! All that taken into account....as I said not much difference really...easy to have a nice life if at least 1 of you is earning a reasonable wage. Like someone else said...Its Australia...I wouldnt want to leave even if it was more expensive! IIts only money after all...why do we earn it?...to spend it! No dramas if youre enjoying life ..

Well dave will be working on the excavator machines or on the powerlines so im hoping he'll earn a decent enough wage and I plan to work too, i'll work anywhere to start with but id like to train as something completely different but not sure what yet. Your definitely right about money, no point having a little bit left over if your still unhappy where you are

Guest guest17301
if the cost of living is the same here in WA as it is in the UK than you cant live here and must be in the uk

as its so much dearer

:no:Why do I contribute to these threads...should know better by now:frown:

...petrol is 50% more expensive here now than when we arrived 3 yrs ago! ..

Petrol has gone up 50% here in the last two years. Back in 2009 it was still possible to buy petrol for around 90p per litre. Around £1.35 now (variations apply nationally and between filling stations so please don't all reply with how you just paid 5p more or 5p less than that).

The only place ive found petrol cheap was Florida, we had a massive jeep and it was so cheap to run. Here we find petrol expensive, well dave does, i dont have a car. We used to have a bmw and it was a total gas guzzler so we sold it and swapped it for a little clio :) much easier on the wallet

Guest guest17301

Petrol is between $1.34 and $1.55 a litre here, and it fluctuates that much during the week. Was $1.04 at its cheapest when we arrived.

It's funny when people complain about vegetables and fruit, i know it must be a pain if you really enjoy them but just buy them as a treat. Im glad i dont like bananas and i only use lemons for my cocktails ;)

Funnily enough we probably eat a wider variety of fruit and veg here than we did in the UK

Guest TCASAlert

We were looking at the cost of food and to be honest it isn't much different to here, a lot of stuff looks cheaper. Take a look at Coles and Aldi website (http://www.smartershopping.com.au). Booze seems more expensive, but you just brew your own instead. If things are more expensive, you just don't buy them or grow your own. Having said all of this a lot of people claim they wouldn't get by on less than $800 a month for groceries, but we manage on lot less than this a month here (£250 a month for a family of 3 + dog). People say you wouldn't live on £250 a month here but its not difficult! You just have to shop around, and we won't suddenly stop shopping around just because we happen to be living in a different country.

Petrol seems (a lot) cheaper, take a look at motormouth.com.au for petrol prices across Oz.

I have heard eating out is more expensive, but we never eat out (bar the occasional McDs) so that doesn't bother us. Somebody recently said a Big Mac meal is around $6.50/£3.00 in Australia apparently, compared to £5.00 in the UK so that is cheaper for example.

You need to convert at the rate of 2.2 as others have said - it suddenly stops looking as scary when you use the correct rate. Sure your salary looks less but then everything else is a lot cheaper as well, often cheaper than in the UK.

I knew it wouldntbe long. yes it is, I and many others some who have lived here many years and vice versa all know it is more expensive here to live than the uk and thats a fact confirmed by the experts far more knowledgeable than us. I am not looking for or interested in a oz v uk debate, i simply want to know why the cost of living in perth has rocketed in the last 5 years.

Guest guest17301

When we eat out, we often go to places where its BYO and sometimes buffet style where the adult price is around $28 kids usually half price.

Ive got my fruit and veg today, as usual its all seasonal....spring onion bunch 99c, pink lady apples $1.99 kg, corn cobs 69c each, zucchini 50c each, white potatoes 69c kg, strawbs 99c a punnet, iceberg lettuce 50c, 2 ltr milk $1.79 each, wholemael sliced 99c, bag of crusty rolls $1.50....expensive here innit...:goofy:

Make your own minds up folks......

Guest guest17301
Bloody hell Fiona I'm moving to Perth with those prices lol.

Spudshed..its a local market chain...farmer jacks similar too...cant you get those kind of prices where you are Janine?

You do have to shop around...packaged goods in those places are expensive unless on offer...I find the supermarkets not too bad for meat though....

Guest guest17301
99c for strawbs?? wow thats cheap! its around £2-3 for them here and they're nearly always scabby looking! lol

Its strawberry season, started about a month ago and theyll be that cheap for a few more months, $2.99 in winter though! stone fruit season starts soon, peaches, nectarines plums all be super cheap.

Kakadu,Litchfield National Parks,the wildlife,swimming holes,thermal pools.The dry season is fantastic even the wet season is stunning with its dramatic storms.Getting out and about is easy you rarely get traffic jams.Most things are only 20 mins drive away.We have a deckchair cinema with stunning views of the harbour.The night markets are fun and our week end markets are brilliant for picking up bargains.

I'm finding it a lot more expensive than Sydney but the lifestyle is amazing.The people are friendly and genuinely happy.

Kakadu,Litchfield National Parks,the wildlife,swimming holes,thermal pools.The dry season is fantastic even the wet season is stunning with its dramatic storms.Getting out and about is easy you rarely get traffic jams.Most things are only 20 mins drive away.We have a deckchair cinema with stunning views of the harbour.The night markets are fun and our week end markets are brilliant for picking up bargains.

I'm finding it a lot more expensive than Sydney but the lifestyle is amazing.The people are friendly and genuinely happy.

Sounds Great!! Going to have to make a trip to NT!!

Archived