4 – 5 (2.0)

2 – 3 (1.5)

1 (1.0)

0 (0)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very worried about this.

I only applied for the test yesterday so only have a handful of evenings to prepare!!

Following links on here (thank you!) I did reading, writing and listening practice last night and think I scored 7.5 or 8 in each. I need 8!!!!

Any advice for last gasp cramming? :-)

I only applied for the test yesterday so only have a handful of evenings to prepare!!

Following links on here (thank you!) I did reading, writing and listening practice last night and think I scored 7.5 or 8 in each. I need 8!!!!

Wow, you're very daring - registering to take the test several days before you actually take it- haha, that must be some kind of record. Most people register for this test several months in advance.

To me, the hardest parts were the listening and reading. If you're a native speaker, don't even worry about the speaking - I think they look at your passport and if they see you were born in an English-speaking country, it's an automatic 9 - so don't stress.

This is going to be my 3rd time taking this dreaded exam - the last time, I failed the reading (got 7.0). Although I managed an 8 on the listening- I still find it hard because there is always a feeling that you're going to miss something. The writing is a breeze - I am the type of person who loves creative writing, so I don't even worry about writing - never scored below 8 on it.

Now, I'm finally prepared to take on the reading, so will have more confidence, unlike the last two times.

I wish you all the best!

still not convinced on the scoring from all the info I can find you need to score 37 and above to get an 8?

Why are you not convinced, did you read something elsewhere?

I got my information directly from the IELTS page (scroll down):

http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_processing_and_reporting.aspx

and Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IELTS#Conversion_table

Feel a bit better about the scores after seeing your breakdown, I was going with the canadavisa IELTS website, you stick in your score and it tells you the level you would attain. Starting to feel a little bit more confident (don't want to go down the 475 route if I can help it). Well more studying tomorrow, will let you know how I get on. I am waking up thinking true, false or NOT GIVEN ARGHHHHHHHHH and dam headings.

Feel a bit better about the scores after seeing your breakdown, I was going with the canadavisa IELTS website, you stick in your score and it tells you the level you would attain. Starting to feel a little bit more confident (don't want to go down the 475 route if I can help it). Well more studying tomorrow, will let you know how I get on. I am waking up thinking true, false or NOT GIVEN ARGHHHHHHHHH and dam headings.

hahaha, i hear ya!

You know, back when I started studying for the reading - back during my first test, I was never able to score above 35. I had only scored about 21, etc - so that's why I now feel confident. Oh dear, I hope we both (and everyone here studying) passes! Three more days to study :cry:

Dont worry - I have my IELTS on Saturday and I've not even opened the practice book yet!

I've booked Friday off work to do a bit of revision.

How long does it take for the scores to come through? DO you have to wait for the post (14 days, I think) or can you wait/pay extra to have them on the day?

Dont worry - I have my IELTS on Saturday and I've not even opened the practice book yet!

I've booked Friday off work to do a bit of revision.

How long does it take for the scores to come through? DO you have to wait for the post (14 days, I think) or can you wait/pay extra to have them on the day?

13 days, and you can pick up the scorecard at the test center.

You can also check your scores online:

https://results.ielts.org/

Sol2oz I think the IELTS scoring calculator you have is for Academic and not general. I called an IELTS centre today and they confirmed that you need to score higher in general to get an 8. They are going to send me out details. See link below this is the same as the candavisa scoring system.

http://www.ielts-blog.com/Calculate-Ielts-Result-Reading-Listening-Band-Score.html

I am only up to 36 out of 40 now!!!!!

13 days, and you can pick up the scorecard at the test center.

You can also check your scores online:

https://results.ielts.org/

Read this link at the bottom - its' not that many more you have to get right to score the 8. :wink:

http://www.ielts.org/researchers/score_processing_and_reporting.aspx

Okay, for Academic, you can get a 34 and score an 8, and for General, you have to score 35 to get the 8. So its' only by one.

Okies, gotta go, will be right back, maayte

Guest prashyt

Hi Guys,

Are you giving this exam in UK ? I'm gonna give in AUS, and so with the obvious time zone differences; i'll be able to give you guys a "hint" !!

Sounds good ?? In past i've experienced this but the exam questions varied..

Hi Guys,

Are you giving this exam in UK ? I'm gonna give in AUS, and so with the obvious time zone differences; i'll be able to give you guys a "hint" !!

Sounds good ?? In past i've experienced this but the exam questions varied..

Any help would be great and yes we are in the UK. The test is the same throughout the UK not sure aout worldwide?

Guest whayaaat

Just a quick one. is the TRF number for a persons ielts the series of letters/numbers(16 in my case with some letters from my name) that appear when you check online results? Or does some different number appear in the mail out of the results?

Archived