IELTS 22 October

Sol2Oz

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doing mine in rugby ,for the second time .spoke to my agent today to see if there is another way to get more points ,he is looking into my wifes job, to see if we can count that aswell .

Would she have to have a skills assessment?

My husband is a chef but only has a basic qualification. he has worked in the industry for the last 4 years full time after going back to it after several other jobs.

What is your wife occupation

Is anyone here taking the IELTS on 22 October? This is my third attempt at this exam - last time scored 9/7/9/9 - yep, a big fat 7 on the reading. Perhaps someone can train me on how to decipher the exact wording IELTS require when writing down the answers?

Seems like I need training in hieroglyphics. :mad:

IELTS Reading... you've got 40 minutes:

hieroglyphs.jpg

:goofy: :goofy:

Hi,

I have a free IELTS Objective Advanced by Cambridge Self-Study Book with 2 CD's free to

anyone who can collect it from me in the Bristol area. I used it and it got me through and was glad I did the preparation. We set off a week today so you'll have to hurry.

Good Luck for anyone else taking it and I would advise to practise the online exercises as much as possible, it's not as easy as you might think, there was a guy a the test centre who was a English teacher and he had failed it 3 times.

Forbes

derham bro - all that studying from the downloads paid off!! :jiggy:

8.5, 8.5, 9.0, 8.5 - I feel like I'm dreaming - like I need to pinch myself - can't believe I haven't gotten a 7 on the reading!! I"m also surprised I got an 8.5 on the speaking - but I did chat too much out of nervousness - in fact I kept interrupting the examiner - that's probably why I got the .5 point loss as the examiner ran out of time. :biglaugh: (So for anyone reading here - don't do that)

Thanks to derham, Shelley Rose, prashyt, Dono, and Geordielass44, Heather Law and others - you guys were awesome to study with.

For those of you who haven't cracked it yet - don't give up! Just do a "prashyt" - and take it till kingdom comes!!! Your day will come, mine did (3rd time taking this stupid thing!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Racheyroo

Thanks all for this thread.

I'm at the very beginning of my visa journey and was wondering what order to do everything in and it has just dawned on me that without an IELTS certificate I don't even reach the required points for a 175 visa so my skills assessment would be useless. Also, I'll be having to submit an EOI so need all the points I can get to stand a chance of being invited.

Better get practising!

Guest Racheyroo

Unfortunately the exams I need to take for my skills assessment are only held four times a year, and the application process is so long and tedious I won't be able to take the exam until June at the earliest. Then it takes four weeks for the results to come through so will be after the July 1st deadline.

And after all that my profession might disappear off the SOL and I'll be back to where I was a year ago!:arghh:

Guest Racheyroo

EOI is an Expression of Interest. The application process for general skilled migration visas is changing in July 2012 so you have to submit an EOI then pray that you get an invitation to apply for a visa. There's a very useful thread about here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/131164-general-skilled-migration-future.html and it depends which visa you're applying for, it might not affect you.

Hope this helps!

Rach , have u conidered a SS 176 ?? i was going to do a 175 so i could work anywhere ,

then i thought about it and i know what i want to do when there ( working in the mines) so WA was a good state , , pluss it gave me extra points and will speed up the process by 6 months ish , well worth it in my opinion and if i hate WA i can always request a transfer , ( SS is only a moral obligation ) or stick it for 2 year and move after that ??

Just a thought tho youve probably been thinking anyway ?

Hope all goes well for you

lee

Guest Racheyroo

Yeah I have considered a ss176, do you still have to have the positive skills assessment before applying for the visa though because this is what's holding me up? Even if I had ss it would still be June before I'd be able to take the exam and July before the result came through. It's soooo frustrating!!!!

Yeah I have considered a ss176, do you still have to have the positive skills assessment before applying for the visa though because this is what's holding me up? Even if I had ss it would still be June before I'd be able to take the exam and July before the result came through. It's soooo frustrating!!!!

I feel for you , 176 would still knock time off your eventual DIAC app , im itching to go so its a 176 for me , if you have time then 175 all the way , its the Rolls Royce of visas :-)

lee

Yesyou still need a positive skills assesment for a 176:no:

Guest Racheyroo
I feel for you , 176 would still knock time off your eventual DIAC app , im itching to go so its a 176 for me , if you have time then 175 all the way , its the Rolls Royce of visas :-)

lee

The Rolls Royce of visas, I like it :cool:

Guest Racheyroo

Anyone got any advice as to whether the academic IELTS can actually be easier than the general one?

I've looked at the sample questions on the website and the academic ones seemed to make more sense, I gues because they're written in a style more familiar to me.

Anyone attempted both?

Achedemic is supposed to be harder as its intended for people who need to do a lot of study / paper based work . when i was revising the pie charts and graphs and the writing you hadto do on them wasnt so easy for me ( im a practical person not used to thinhs like this ) then realised that it was only for achedemics and not general .

General writing was a letter to a friend and a piece on wether child care out of the home was good or bad ,

other than the writing section and a little more indepth reading, the test is the same , speeking and listening .

if u dont need to do achedemic , just do the general , your not going to gain any extra brownie points and you'll have more chance of success in general .

hope this helps .

lee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikstylo

I am also in the same boat as many of you on the forum.....

Have got my skill assessment done ....attempted ielts the first time yesterday.....

i think i got my writing section all messed up.....wasnt able to think straight during my writing test....

even felt that the speaking section was more "intense" than i thought...

planning to register for a "couple" of test before hand to make sure that i dont have to wait...

was actually surprised at the number of people attempting ielts ... WOW! looks like its a very popular EXAM...if i may call it that..

need to start practicing.. writing.. do i feel like a kid again?! :(

Anyone got any advice as to whether the academic IELTS can actually be easier than the general one?

I've looked at the sample questions on the website and the academic ones seemed to make more sense, I gues because they're written in a style more familiar to me.

Anyone attempted both?

Yes, I did both.

My first attempt was the General test 22nd October. I got S 9, L 8.5, W 8, R 7.5. I needed 8's for each so even an overall 8.5 was no good for me.

I was so disappointed, so I looked around at some more practice tests and found myself more suited to the Academic version. The speaking and listening are the same but the writing and reading are different. They are supposed to be harder but I really didn't think so. They are certainly more formal, i.e. the 1st writing test on the General is always an informal complaint/rant about some experience whereas the 1st on the Academic is normally asking you to describe a chart/graph. Pretty simple stuff. Just remember to use a varied vocabulary.

However, it was the Reading test that I really struggled with in practice and my first attempt. Anything less than 37/38 out of 40 and you've failed to get 8.

I found out that the Academic scoring is slightly different and 35/36 is good enough to get an 8.

As this was my weak area, I needed the extra room for error, so I took the plunge and went for the Academic.

Anyway, it worked and last Friday I got my results: S 9, L 9, W 9, R 8.5 :notworthy:

I'd recommend switching to Academic for anyone struggling to get 8's, particularly in the Reading test. I really thought this was going to be an ongoing saga for the next few months for me. I went ahead and booked a 3rd and would have been prepared to book a few more in advance had I not passed my 2nd attempt. I cannot tell you how happy that has made me. It just goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to it.

Practice is the key. I took 1 reading and listening test every evening for the 2 weeks leading up to this one, with a full mock exam on the Saturday and Sunday.

Most people can understand the text and the questions, you just have to teach yourself to pass their stupid bloody test!

If I can help any more, just ask. Good luck!

Archived