Selling UK house

Mizzmp

Is anybody else having trouble selilng their house? We have our visa and the only thing holding us back is the sale! So frustrating as have priced to sell.

Very grateful we have our visa and shouldn't moan but just want to fly out now!

Yes us. We have had an offer today but it's 20k below asking price, a bit too far to drop unfortunately :sad: however, they're coming back tomorrow for another viewing so I suppose negotiations are open. Trying not to get our hopes up at this stage though. It has to be said trying to keep the house tidy with 3 young children is getting very boring now. Feel like I'm constantly on at them to tidy up!

Guest sarahod

We've had our house on the market since 13th July, we only signed a seven week contract with the estate agent.... had NO viewings at all, felt very frustated and trying to keep the house tidy - just incase we have a viewing!!! so changed estate agents, it was very quiet for the first couple of weeks, then things picked up and we'd accepted an offer on Saturday.....

We've had our house on the market since 13th July, we only signed a seven week contract with the estate agent.... had NO viewings at all, felt very frustated and trying to keep the house tidy - just incase we have a viewing!!! so changed estate agents, it was very quiet for the first couple of weeks, then things picked up and we'd accepted an offer on Saturday.....

Our contract expires next week and have got a new agent lined up. He seems much more enthusiastic than our current bunch. Fingers crossed it happens soon!

Good luck all!

We have had similar problems. We had an offer early summer and then it all fell through just as were going to exchange. We went back on market 2 weeks ago and have accepted an offer but it is far lower than we thought we would take. The first guy mucked us around for about 3 months and now we need to be in Oz by Feb, therefore this latest buyer got a bargain.

Hopefully this will go through , we should complete by early Dec and then to Oz in Jan.

The whole process has been nearly 2 years and it doesn't feel like we are ever going to get there !!!

All i keep thinking now is that it better be worth it !

Thanks guys makes me feel better. Yes I am totally sick of tidying incase we have a viewing! I have 2 teens and a 7 yr old and thats before my hubby! He's a builder so the muck and dust gets everywhere.

Where do you lot live? We are down in Sussex near Eastbourne and weirdly enough only the houses over £200k are selling! We have ours on for £180 which is 5k below book price and a couple of viewings but no offers. I suppose everything happens for a reason.

Guest James W

Ours has been on the market since Feb. Priced at the start almost 5% below others on the market in our area & now it's nearer 15% below the others.

No of viewings so far = 0

price now about to have one last drop into an area where we do not clear our costs to sell it but we have 15 weeks to go & need to shift it.

If we still dont get anything we're talking to the Mortgage people about interest only option & turning it into a rental but really do not want this.

Next time I see a newspaper with an article saying "House Prices On the Up" I am going to hunt down the editor - lol!!

PS - Anyone wanna buy a house just outside Manchester? (Gotta try haven't you!!)

Not looking forward to our upcoming sale battle either. Our house we built ourselves is the only 4 bed detached in our street so virtually impossible to value as there are no comparisons.

Just got to hope it's spacious rooms command a good price !

Now back to the decorating etc, etc !!:wideeyed:

The market is really really slow unfortunately, particularly at the bottom end - there just aren't the first time buyers coming into the market, partly because they really struggle to get mortgages, and partly because lots of them are nervous/uneasy about the economic outlook.

That lack of FTBs feeds its way up the property ladder so no one is finding it easy, but it is easier higher up. Sub £200K houses just aren't moving, as you have sadly discovered

hi we are in the same position:arghh:

we live in kent and have had the house on the market since april, had no veiwings for almost four months so changed agents and lowered by ten grand......result loads of veiwings = loads of tidying but so far no offers and feedback has been great everyone likes the house one guy said it was too hot in the front, and another said the road had too much traffic on but these are all things i cant change.

cant afford to lower our price any more as we want to be able to buy in oz without having a masssive morgtage (getting on a bit now) renting is out of the question, so feeling quite frustrated at the moment and i must say a bit depressed living in limbo.....just wanna get there now :cry:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU OUT THERE TRYING TO SELL XX

ended up having to rent my house, luckily i owed just about 30k on it so was able to borrow some to get here. in a way not too bad as hopefully in a couple of years things may change and the value may go up, the tenants are good and wanted a 5yr lease to allow their kids to finish school in the area.

this thread could have been written for us! On the market since June, two offers,both dropped out!

Good luck to everyone...we look like we may have to validate next spring if not, which is an expense we really cannot afford!

Can totally understand the tidying, we have three kids and it is impossible and a bit unfair to expect them to keep it tidy!

Good luck to everyone x

Guest guest59652

Good luck - less people emigrating at moment for this exact reason. It will be a challenge but you never know - a watching kettle never boils!

this thread could have been written for us! On the market since June, two offers,both dropped out!

Good luck to everyone...we look like we may have to validate next spring if not, which is an expense we really cannot afford!

Can totally understand the tidying, we have three kids and it is impossible and a bit unfair to expect them to keep it tidy!

Good luck to everyone x

hi judy q

we had to validate in june as we had our meds done early as advised then it all went pear shape, sold hs last year then had to pull out because got taken of list and visa looked like it wouldent happen, then visa turned up in april with a period of two months to validate all in all this has been going on for four years and im ready to get off the rollercoaster now.......

i know everybody is frustrated but it does help to see other people in the same position misery likes company:biggrin:

jools xx

I am feeling better reading these posts - not about the outlook of the market (which sucks!) but that we are at least not the only one's having trouble selling. I'm sick of agents excuses! Anyone want to buy a nice modern 3 bed semi in north Hampshire?!? :biggrin: Someone will get a bargin!!

Guest RobnLinda
Ours has been on the market since Feb. Priced at the start almost 5% below others on the market in our area & now it's nearer 15% below the others.

No of viewings so far = 0

price now about to have one last drop into an area where we do not clear our costs to sell it but we have 15 weeks to go & need to shift it.

If we still dont get anything we're talking to the Mortgage people about interest only option & turning it into a rental but really do not want this.

Next time I see a newspaper with an article saying "House Prices On the Up" I am going to hunt down the editor - lol!!

PS - Anyone wanna buy a house just outside Manchester? (Gotta try haven't you!!)

We are also trying to sell our house and leave for Canberra on 10th January either way. We have no offers at present and things are very quiet. We have spoken to our mortgage company already re wanting to rent it out if it doesnt sell as you need ''let with permission'' from them. We are holding tight for a bit longer but have everything ready to go if we do rent ( I have also booked the boiler/cooker inspection/certificate and electrical safety) so my advice is cover your options if you have a fixed date to go!!

Linda

Was just reading this post thinking about how it was for us, we put our house on the market last year in april, got our visas this February and still had no sale, we needed to validate by August so we bit the bullet and booked flights out for end of may, then low and behold after a year on the market and lowering the price to less than we paid for it we finally got a buyer, who refused to budge on their offered but promised a quick sale, so we took it flew out with me my kids staying in oz and my husband coming back to finalise everything and empty the house, he was back for 2 weeks in which the house sale was suppose to complete...it didn't he flew back to our new house here in oz and the house sale then took another 8 weeks to complete......so much for the quick sale!!!!!! but on the bright side we are now here getting on with our new lives, so i am just saying don't give up, i know how hard it is and how impatient i was to get out here, but use this time wisely to spend as much time with loved ones and enjoying you last days in blighty, as you will soon be here and it all the house sale stuff will feel like a distant memory

:biggrin:

Guest KerryandCraig

Hi, we have reduced the house & its still not sold. Only had 3 viewings & a stupid offer. We have no choice but to rent it now. We are going to remortgage it to get some equity out & save hard & fast in oz so we can buy asap.

My friend is in the same boat, her house hasnt sold despite a massive reduction, her OH has had to go to OZ without her.

Housing market in the UK is horrendous.

Guest Tillyloola

To be honest, I really couldn't be bothered to even try to sell my house in this market and have rented it out and intend to for at least the next ten to fifteen years. I am incredibly lucky to have a very tiny mortgage to pay so the rent actually gives me an income as well as covers the payments. I leave the money earned from it in my UK bank account and it covers any issues that need to be resolved with the house. I've just had to have the boiler replaced, but it's cost me nothing. The way I see it is that even if the house prices don't recover in the time period that I'm renting (which is bloody unlikely), I'll still have made money because I'll own the house outright by that time and I'll of only payed a fraction of it myself.

I'm very lucky with my tenant's that I have. They are a young family and it would appear that they are quite happy to stay in the house for as long as I will rent it.

I have no plans for buying in the immediate future here so not having a chunk to put down is not an issue. The housing market doesn't seem to know what it's doing at the moment. The rummer is that it's going to tank in the next couple of years so I'll wait to see if I can get a bargain. By the time we are ready to buy, we should have a very sizeable amount saved to put toward the deposit anyway, so hopefully it should all work out as planed. If not , I'll be camping in someone's shed.

Archived