A Few Fish Facts

Bobj

Good question I was going to ask that same thing myself.

Why are the Ozzies Barramundi crazy?

A big fish that fights, does aeriel cartwheels, tail-walks and is good to eat.

I caught a 50+lb barra that leapt a metre out of the water...when you see one of those on the end of your line, adrenalin sets in!!:yes:

That's why.:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok now what is Flake? In S.A we eat Haddock, Hake, Snoek (Barracuda), etc. what I like about the fish is that it has a lot less oil then fish in the UK. I'm just hoping that Oz will be the same.

Flake is, generally, gummy shark, but is any shark that you want to eat. a very poor substitute for northern reef fish.

Snoek is well known in southern Australia and is looked on by Sarf Ozzies as a good eating fish...:wacko:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest59177
Braid is woven man-made fibres, mainlydyneema, as opposed to monofilament (mono) line; thinner and stronger but more suseptible to abrasion on rocks.

Pomfret in Australia are usually referred to as oyster crackers and are well thought of in the fighting department, but not well considered in the culinary department.

Sydney fish are bream, flathead, yellow tail kingfish (great fish), bonito, blackfish, squid etc In the harbour confines, it is considered, at this stage, a no-no to eat fish due to toxins.

The old chestnut...most delicious fish to eat... my top 5, but not in any order: coral trout, golden snapper, bluey, WA dhu fish and threadfin salmon (no relation to european salmon). After that, spanish and school mackerel, red emperor, barramundi, whiting, flathead etc.

Any help?

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks mate!!! I'll have to get a few fishing lessons once I am over. Btw, what is the name of that fish in your avatar???

Flake is, generally, gummy shark, but is any shark that you want to eat. a very poor substitute for northern reef fish.

Snoek is well known in southern Australia and is looked on by Sarf Ozzies as a good eating fish...:wacko:

Cheers, Bobj.

The wife is going to be very pleased about the Snoek!

let me join in.... my partner and I are fish crazy as well... he is from SA.. so say no more ;)

We just arrived in Melbourne and staying in point cook - west of Melb... Are there any good fishing spots nearby?

He is also looking at buying a boat to get out there and into the action.

Any advice much appricated ;)

Guest Guest16631

coral trout, golden snapper, bluey, WA dhu fish and threadfin salmon (no relation to european salmon). After that, spanish and school mackerel, red emperor, barramundi, whiting, flathead etc.

..............dhu..............???..................I have always thought it was dew....:embarrassed:.............and have never liked the taste...............or do you have a nice recipe for them.................OH caught another last tour................willpost pic.................and have given it away..............:wideeyed:................do like the snapper ................and flathead...[though an ugly fish imo !]

what about grunter bob,i prefer them over barra

Good honest fighters and good to eat. They must be over 40 cm to keep (barred) and 30 cm (spotted). They grow to about 6kg.

A good bait is very fresh fish strips, or half a big prawn.

They inhabit estuary areas and headlands ajoining the mangrove estuaries.

2102011001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

coral trout, golden snapper, bluey, WA dhu fish and threadfin salmon (no relation to european salmon). After that, spanish and school mackerel, red emperor, barramundi, whiting, flathead etc.

..............dhu..............???..................I have always thought it was dew....:embarrassed:.............and have never liked the taste...............or do you have a nice recipe for them.................OH caught another last tour................willpost pic.................and have given it away..............:wideeyed:................do like the snapper ................and flathead...[though an ugly fish imo !]

Dhu fish is a Western Australian fish and the eastern fish is the jew, or mulloway. Totally different but both good eating and fighting.

Snapper are about the No.1 all-round favourite Australian fish, Tink.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

let me join in.... my partner and I are fish crazy as well... he is from SA.. so say no more ;)

We just arrived in Melbourne and staying in point cook - west of Melb... Are there any good fishing spots nearby?

He is also looking at buying a boat to get out there and into the action.

Any advice much appricated ;)

G'day mate...Grabatinny quicksmart! Snapper and squidly in PPB. Good reports coming in.

Now, Point Cook area; Bream and flathead are pretty much there all year; salmon are being caught, but I don't know if they are from boats or the shoreline.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob whats the deal if you want to get into surf fishing, do you need a license?

No licence in Qld to fish in the sea.

Vic licence costs $25/year...I think.

NSW costs $30/year

Tassie, no licence

WA, boat licence $30/year.

NT, no licence.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Forgot Sarf Oz...:wubclub:

No licence needed but some gear needs registration.

Australian FRESHWATER licences:

Vic, $30

NSW, $30

Tassie, $68 for 1 rod

SA, Nil

WA, boat licence $30

Qld, SIP (State Impoundment Permit) $36 to fish any of 33 dams (husband/wife) No licence needed to fish the rivers or estuaries.

NT No licence needed

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336
Australian FRESHWATER licences:

Vic, $30

NSW, $30

Tassie, $68 for 1 rod

SA, Nil

WA, boat licence $30

Qld, SIP (State Impoundment Permit) $36 to fish any of 33 dams (husband/wife) No licence needed to fish the rivers or estuaries.

NT No licence needed

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bob.

I've said it before and will say it again, the OZ coastline is on a par with the Florida Keys in relation to the environment care and some strictly imposed regs.

Both have maintained a sense of moral responsibility and it shows. Do you reckon licences will EVER be introduced for sea fishing.

I know in Florida there's no such thing and it has over the years hammered the need for conservation,:notworthy:. Nothing compares to the sea fishing in OZ and Florida in my opinion, and it would be a shame to see over zealous regulation spoil this.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Bob.

I've said it before and will say it again, the OZ coastline is on a par with the Florida Keys in relation to the environment care and some strictly imposed regs.

Both have maintained a sense of moral responsibility and it shows. Do you reckon licences will EVER be introduced for sea fishing.

I know in Florida there's no such thing and it has over the years hammered the need for conservation,:notworthy:. Nothing compares to the sea fishing in OZ and Florida in my opinion, and it would be a shame to see over zealous regulation spoil this.

Cheers Tony.

If the state labour parties stay in power, it will come to pass...

Wanders off shaking his head in disgust...:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Learnt my basics of Swoffing mate at many places in and around the Swan.

Many Flathead caught especially around the Freo inlet area where there are shallows, though not as big as the Eastern States, but good fight,and when I did eat what I caught, mmmmmmmm loverly.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

what is swoffing pal...?we got the flatheads around Nedland area........some great crabbing places too .......Hillarys boat harbour , in the kayaks ,early evening dropping the nets , climb up the steps to grab a couple of beers and back in the kayaks to collect blue manner ............

right being total clueless about fishing i need to ask when you catch a fish but then let it go does the hook hurt and damage the fish? i apologise if its a stupid question!

I have often wondered the same thing. I can imagine if I got a barbed hook through my jaw then yanked it out would hurt a little as well as ruining my good looks of course! :biggrin:

I have often wondered the same thing. I can imagine if I got a barbed hook through my jaw then yanked it out would hurt a little as well as ruining my good looks of course! :biggrin:

me too lol, im just wondering how much it actually damages them, if its a quite a lot then is it not fairer to just eat them? or is that me just being silly :eek:

what is swoffing pal...?we got the flatheads around Nedland area........some great crabbing places too .......Hillarys boat harbour , in the kayaks ,early evening dropping the nets , climb up the steps to grab a couple of beers and back in the kayaks to collect blue manner ............

SWOFFING is Salt Water Fly Fishing, mate.

Odd thing...Never seen anyone doing it in 65 years of fishing!!!:yes:

Blue MANNA crabs, Mandurah and the Australind area were possibly the best places in WA when I lived there.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

right being total clueless about fishing i need to ask when you catch a fish but then let it go does the hook hurt and damage the fish? i apologise if its a stupid question!

Jock, it is NOT a stupid question; it has been a contentious issue since Adam was a boy. People who hate fishing will argue that it does hurt and vice versa.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived