A Few Fish Facts

Bobj

me too lol, im just wondering how much it actually damages them, if its a quite a lot then is it not fairer to just eat them? or is that me just being silly :eek:

Thousands of factual reports about fish being caught and released that continue to live and indeed, to grow bigger.

Some fish are not to be eaten due to poisons in their flesh and the dreaded ciguatera poisoning in certain Qld Great Barrier Reef fish.

Fact: Jimmy Cook, on his first voyage nearly died of ciguatera. A giant ocean toado was responsible for that.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest37336
Thousands of factual reports about fish being caught and released that continue to live and indeed, to grow bigger.

Some fish are not to be eaten due to poisons in their flesh and the dreaded ciguatera poisoning in certain Qld Great Barrier Reef fish.

Fact: Jimmy Cook, on his first voyage nearly died of ciguatera. A giant ocean toado was responsible for that.

Cheers, Bobj.

Ahhhhh, the wonderful Toado mate, :wink::biglaugh:

Lol @ Stacey :)

I know you're a fan of the northern waters, but hubby wonders if you can suggest any good fresh-water fishing spots around Melbourne (East for preference) and what type of fish he can expect to see? Plus any suggestion for bait and tackle.

We have a family property around Lake Eildon if that helps guide where to suggest ....

He's planning to use British style long-rods etc, maybe float fishing or ledgering.

I have NFI what all that means, he's dictating as I type!!

Guest guest37336

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi mate.

Like you say, thousands of reports and statistics out there. Only recently there was one concerning the Large Mouth Bass in the US.

Whilst it concluded that the 'fight' did have a detrimental effect in the short term, long term 87% of Bass caught survived at least for three more years, of course this is the ones that were re caught after being tagged.

But as you will know mate, the Marlin (all species) is one of the hardest fighting fish in the sea and over recent years the tag and release programme is enormous thank goodness.

The 'tracking' they put on caught fish as well as the tag has proven that the vast majority of Marlin survive for many years after a long and protracted fight, all good I reckon.

Who and what needs to be targeted are the longliners, who year after year view Marlin, Sharks, Dolphin, Turtles as a 'by' catch and when caught are either dumped over board, already dead, or left to rot.:mad:

Cheers Tony.

I know you're a fan of the northern waters, but hubby wonders if you can suggest any good fresh-water fishing spots around Melbourne (East for preference) and what type of fish he can expect to see? Plus any suggestion for bait and tackle.

We have a family property around Lake Eildon if that helps guide where to suggest ....

He's planning to use British style long-rods etc, maybe float fishing or ledgering.

G'day mate, tell the lazy bloke to ask his own questions, hey??:wink::laugh:

There are several dams in Victoria that hold trout to murray cod and bass.

Different tackle for the different fish.

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/LocationsVIC.htm

Some excellent murray cod fishing in the Loddon River, 20 lb braid needed for them. I prefer an overhead rod/reel combo for the cod.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi mate.

Like you say, thousands of reports and statistics out there. Only recently there was one concerning the Large Mouth Bass in the US.

Whilst it concluded that the 'fight' did have a detrimental effect in the short term, long term 87% of Bass caught survived at least for three more years, of course this is the ones that were re caught after being tagged.

But as you will know mate, the Marlin (all species) is one of the hardest fighting fish in the sea and over recent years the tag and release programme is enormous thank goodness.

The 'tracking' they put on caught fish as well as the tag has proven that the vast majority of Marlin survive for many years after a long and protracted fight, all good I reckon.

Who and what needs to be targeted are the longliners, who year after year view Marlin, Sharks, Dolphin, Turtles as a 'by' catch and when caught are either dumped over board, already dead, or left to rot.:mad:

Cheers Tony.

Mate, cannot agree more!!

A recorded fact...A barra was tagged and released and caught 10 years later:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers Bob, I'm now writing for me cos the missus nicked my laptop earlier! Thanks for the advice. What's the Yarra like for fishing? Also where is the Lodden and when you say overhead rod reel combo, not sure what u mean. Do you mean a standard fixed spool reel or a multiplier?

Cheers,

Jon

Guest guest37336

I must admit Bob that this thread has got the old 'Freshwater' juices flowing again.

As you know a bit of a dyed in the wool sea fisho, but when out there next I'm definatley going to give the fresh stuff a go.

Can't wait to tangle with one of the icons of Australia now, the mighty Murray Cod.

Many thanks for a great thread.:wink:

Cheers Tony.:notworthy:

Cheers Bob, I'm now writing for me cos the missus nicked my laptop earlier! Thanks for the advice. What's the Yarra like for fishing? Also where is the Lodden and when you say overhead rod reel combo, not sure what u mean. Do you mean a standard fixed spool reel or a multiplier?

Cheers,

Jon

Mate!!! Love it!!

Ahhh, the river that flows upside down...mainly blackfish, rainbow and brown trout in the upper reaches, down to about Healsville area. Redfin and the cursed carp in the lower reaches, a few macquarie perch, too.

The Loddon River flows from the south to the Murray River. Bridgewater-On-Loddon is supposedly the best area for murray cod (up to 30lbs)

http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=209924&cmd=sp

Multiplier...what a silly name. :wink:...They sit over the rod, hence the term overhead reels.

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=abu_5600c4_1639

My favourite reel.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. Tha'll 'ave ter learn t' lingo, tha knows.:yes:

I must admit Bob that this thread has got the old 'Freshwater' juices flowing again.

As you know a bit of a dyed in the wool sea fisho, but when out there next I'm definatley going to give the fresh stuff a go.

Can't wait to tangle with one of the icons of Australia now, the mighty Murray Cod.

Many thanks for a great thread.:wink:

Cheers Tony.:notworthy:

Best place to catch them is the Mighty Murray around Echuca and the Severn River in the New England area of NSW, or any of the streams, creeks and rivers that flow west and north in eastern Australia.:tongue:

Try using lures, especially the Tenterfield Dart type.

http://lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=222&t=1300

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers,

Jon

I nicked his laptop??? He nicked my login to PIO!!!

Guest guest37336

Come to think about it Bob,:idea:.

Last time I was in Cairns and we stayed at the BIG 4 at Redlynch it backed onto a stream/river and me and the family often took a walk through the woods that it ran through. was under strict instructions NOT to fish as it was a 'family' holiday.

But saw many freshwater fish in the little backwaters and lagoons there, some maybe a three quarters of a metre in length, :idea: oh how I yearned for a light stick to have a crack.

Beautiful to it was, dappled sunshine, no one around, peaceful, next time I will definitely give it a go.

74864-004-E3C2AAD2.jpg

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Pom Queen
I nicked his laptop??? He nicked my login to PIO!!!

:laugh::laugh:Tell him to create his own account:wink:

Forgot to reply to this piece; very remiss of me; my apologies.:yes:

Might I suggest that you forget "ledgering" and look to "bobbing"? That is, immediately above the 3/0, or 4/0 hook, you have a No.6 ball sinker with a live yabby on the hook; the rod tip is lifted about 2-3 ft and dropped again, repeating the process every 2-3 seconds. This method is particularly good for yellowbelly. The theory is that the sinker lands on either rock and sends a noise pattern out, or the sinker hits mud and produces a small cloud similar to a yabby escaping. This bobbing method is only done on a tinny in about 12-20 ft of water in good yellowbelly dams. Redfin respond too, but using smaller yabbies and 2/0 hooks.

Float fishing is not very popular, but can be used if the fish are not really responding, or you are looking at mid-water trout.

Usually, you will see fishos working their chosen areas by either bobbing, trolling, or casting and retrieving lures.

Cheers, Bobj.

:laugh::laugh:Tell him to create his own account:wink:

It's the real Jo again - I tried to tell him that, and he laughed!

Hubby only gets excited about the details of moving when he's trying to decide what fishing gear to bring, apparently the rest is my domain :wacko:

Although he can't wait to start experimenting on some new guitars made from Australian sound woods :GEEK: If you know of anyone on here who's into building guitars i think he'd need his own login!

In the meantime, if I suddenly 'sound' like I know what I'm talking about re - fishing or guitar making, then you can be certain it's Jon :)

Thanks for the info about ledgering (whatever that is), I'll copy it into an email and send it on to him! BTW, thanks for the description of bobbing, even I understand what it is now !

Guest guest37336
BTW - Jon says Thanx too, and managed to find a link about fishing in Eildon which got him so excited he's bough a 3yr fishing license online already....

He doesn't arrive in Oz until mid-November!!!

lol

:notworthy::notworthy:

Good man,:yes:.

Great thread this. And in all honesty whilst a lot of the talk has been about bigger fish and locations, I am never more than happy when sitting on a rock wall, beach, riverbank and catching whatever may be there.

Minnows, Gudgeon, Bream, don't care about the size really, and even if I don't catch anything whenever I'm fishing it brings back the memory of the first time my dad took me fishing down my local river when I was six and I caught my first Minnow,:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

A memory that is burned into my very soul and maybe, just maybe that is why I find so much solace and peace when I am just sitting there whiling away the hours and often days.:idea:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

BTW - Jon says Thanx too, and managed to find a link about fishing in Eildon which got him so excited he's bough a 3yr fishing license online already....

He doesn't arrive in Oz until mid-November!!!

lol

Like his style, mate.

Ask the bloke if his rod collection includes the likes of these...

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/match-and-coarse/poles

If so, tell him to sell 'em or he'll die of embarrassment...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I mean, £1300 for a pole to catch a 4 ounce roach...Loud guffaws.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That's about $2100:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

:notworthy::notworthy:

Good man,:yes:.

Great thread this. And in all honesty whilst a lot of the talk has been about bigger fish and locations, I am never more than happy when sitting on a rock wall, beach, riverbank and catching whatever may be there.

Minnows, Gudgeon, Bream, don't care about the size really, and even if I don't catch anything whenever I'm fishing it brings back the memory of the first time my dad took me fishing down my local river when I was six and I caught my first Minnow,:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

A memory that is burned into my very soul and maybe, just maybe that is why I find so much solace and peace when I am just sitting there whiling away the hours and often days.:idea:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Ya soppy old barsteward...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336
If he's spent that much money on rods he'll be in more trouble than you can imagine......

Checking now.....

Amazed me Jo when I first got to OZ the difference in price for the tackle etc.

Even when I was last over there (2009) I still managed to get a WHOLE combo for under $80, didn't want to take all my stuff. Did me fine, Bream, Trevally, Flathead and a monster Diamond Trev just north of Townsville ,:notworthy::notworthy:.

I know you can go to extremes with the prices, but I reckon OZ is far better for the 'budget' and the pocket.:idea:

Cheers Tony.:yes:

Archived