A Few Fish Facts

Bobj

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just told him so Bobj :)

I never understood why you'd want a fishing rod that didn't have a windy thing. Sounds like much too hard work to me.

But then again my role in the entire fishing game is the cooking and eating.

And sometimes sitting near him reading a book.

And laughing at him not catching anything

BTW - this is the lake we live next to at the moment - currently working from home looking out the kitchen window (photo as well).

We'll miss the view, but Oz has more to offer :)

Wbere_viewlake.JPG

Wbere_viewlake.JPG

Amazed me Jo when I first got to OZ the difference in price for the tackle etc.

Even when I was last over there (2009) I still managed to get a WHOLE combo for under $80, didn't want to take all my stuff. Did me fine, Bream, Trevally, Flathead and a monster Diamond Trev just north of Townsville ,:notworthy::notworthy:.

I know you can go to extremes with the prices, but I reckon OZ is far better for the 'budget' and the pocket.:idea:

Cheers Tony.:yes:

Definitely the case I think Tony,

Hubby's only taken stuff with 'sentimental value' and some bits and pieces he couldn't find easily when we were last out.

Oh, and some of the traditional floats his Dad's made - but again that's more sentimental than anything else :)

Guest guest59177
the only fish i eat is battered haddock lol

Does the law recognize charged battery of haddock???? :biggrin: Poor battered, downtrodden haddock :no:

:biglaugh:

Does the law recognize charged battery of haddock???? :biggrin: Poor battered, downtrodden haddock :no:

:biglaugh:

And the wee lassie was on about hooks hurting them...I tell ya!!!:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest59177

Cheers, Bobj.

Awwww c'mon Bobj!!! Just a bit of fun 's all. [Added after realization dawned:] HEY!!! I meant the fish was battered after being real and truly DEAD. Don't tell me you were having THAT kinda macabre thought!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

@Stacey - You don't mind my stupid quips too much do you???

Guest guest59177

Cheers, Bobj.

You can imagine how much fun I would have had with the following menu items (yup, actual menu items at a cafe in Sydney):

1. Beer battered chicken - Batter the chicken thoroughly with a beer bottle. Poor chicken :no:

2. Shoe string fries - Fried shoe strings. Taste yummy??? Hey I'm just asking!!!

Guest guest59177

Cheers, Bobj.

By the way, assuming I'm 10 years her senior, would I be a 'not so wee, but still wee enough' laddie??? :biggrin:

Guest guest59177
You a jock, too???

If so, you're a braw wee laddie.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hehehe, just looked up the meanings for jock and braw. Well, I'm not scottish, but I have no misgivings about being a braw wee laddie :cute::cute::cute:

Sea fish:

Most of the fishos go for the "bread-and-butter" fish, the bream, the flathead, the snapper and the whiting. The snapper is only around the southern half of Australia, from Mackay south and around to about Carnarvon, WA; the others are caught virtually all around the country. There are a few fish that are targetted in certain areas, such as the tommy ruff which are plentiful in South Australia and Western Australia during summer and autumn.

Sydney fishos go for the 'rat' kingfish and along the NSW rocky coastline, the luderick and blue groper, all three are, more or less, speciality fish. A large number of blokes target the big mulloway (jew), same in SE Qld. The far west of South Australia is about the best place for trophy sized jew, up to 100lbs.

Brisbane and SE Qld sees a variety of good fish to catch, from the mackerel clan in summer to the 'rat' kingfish, to the pearl perch and teraglin (trag). Again, more of a speciality group of fish. Most of the SEQld off-shore reefs hold good quantities of tuskfish, parrotfish and a goodly number of coral trout.

Northern Qld and the Northern Territory are renown for the huge spanish mackerel (70kg), coral trout, red emperor, barramundi and estuary cod (goldspot).

Among the 'sportfish' in the north are the queenfish, giant trevally, turrum, wahoo, northern and yellowfin tuna etc.

These are just a smattering of fish for the general public. I have purposely left out the marlin family as it is a very expensive fishery.

I have also left out Tasmania seafish as I do not know anything about the fishing industry there.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336
Sea fish:

Most of the fishos go for the "bread-and-butter" fish, the bream, the flathead, the snapper and the whiting. The snapper is only around the southern half of Australia, from Mackay south and around to about Carnarvon, WA; the others are caught virtually all around the country. There are a few fish that are targetted in certain areas, such as the tommy ruff which are plentiful in South Australia and Western Australia during summer and autumn.

Sydney fishos go for the 'rat' kingfish and along the NSW rocky coastline, the luderick and blue groper, all three are, more or less, speciality fish. A large number of blokes target the big mulloway (jew), same in SE Qld. The far west of South Australia is about the best place for trophy sized jew, up to 100lbs.

Brisbane and SE Qld sees a variety of good fish to catch, from the mackerel clan in summer to the 'rat' kingfish, to the pearl perch and teraglin (trag). Again, more of a speciality group of fish. Most of the SEQld off-shore reefs hold good quantities of tuskfish, parrotfish and a goodly number of coral trout.

Northern Qld and the Northern Territory are renown for the huge spanish mackerel (70kg), coral trout, red emperor, barramundi and estuary cod (goldspot).

Among the 'sportfish' in the north are the queenfish, giant trevally, turrum, wahoo, northern and yellowfin tuna etc.

These are just a smattering of fish for the general public. I have purposely left out the marlin family as it is a very expensive fishery.

I have also left out Tasmania seafish as I do not know anything about the fishing industry there.

Cheers, Bobj.

I remember when I first arrived in Perth Bob, (1979) the Tommy Ruff/Herring were virtually in plague proportions, at times you couldn't get a bait passed them.

But over the years they have diminished somewhat, which is a shame. Many first time anglers first catch, and was indeed mine from Fremantle South mole.:jiggy:

A beautiful little fish when mature, the colours are striking.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest59177
Sea fish:

Cheers, Bobj.

What do you make of these????:

http://www.australianmarlin.com/

http://www.marlinaustralia.com.au/

Guest guest59177
Bill Billson, the best. His reputation is way above the rest. Both look good but if you want a charter...SAVE UP for along time.

Cheers, Bobj.

How much do you think a person would learn on a one day trip? I mean let's say somebody wants to really learn all the terminology and understand all the various tools and equipment, then learn how to place bait properly on the hook, how to throw, how to reel in, essentially everything from start to finish... so I suppose multiple day trips would be called for? And let's say somebody IS an expert fisherman, would catching a marlin be a 1 day affair??? Or would it fight for days on end??

How much do you think a person would learn on a one day trip? I mean let's say somebody wants to really learn all the terminology and understand all the various tools and equipment, then learn how to place bait properly on the hook, how to throw, how to reel in, essentially everything from start to finish... so I suppose multiple day trips would be called for? And let's say somebody IS an expert fisherman, would catching a marlin be a 1 day affair??? Or would it fight for days on end??

A good question...A great deal depends on who is teaching and how it all come across to you and your ability to ingest the info.:yes:

A day charter is not the best way but can be quite a lot of fun. Reminds me...2 Irish 'tourists' were on a charter next to me; handlines were used and when we got to the " X marks the spot" the skipper called out, "ok, chuck 'em out" ...2 handlines were thrown overboard...:arghh:

On the other hand, I have been fishing, on and off, for better than 65 years and am still learning a few bits and pieces. As a matter-of-fact, in the past week, have just caught 2 new species of fish...to me, that is and they are fairly common fish.

I know a few fishos who have never used rods and reels, only handlines...

Dunno where you are, or where you intend going, but might I suggest an upmarket type of fishing charter, rather than one that caters to rubbernecks? That way, you will get a better "grounding" on how to do this, or that.

Catching a marlin a 1 day affair...My son spent 3 weekends fishing for his first marlin, a baby of 25lb up in the Darwin. Then went and caught 3 the next trip out.

Hope this is of some help...If not, come up here and I will try and give you a trip to our local islands and give you a few pointers...:yes: You supply bait and fuel; I supply the tinny.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336
A good question...A great deal depends on who is teaching and how it all come across to you and your ability to ingest the info.:yes:

A day charter is not the best way but can be quite a lot of fun. Reminds me...2 Irish 'tourists' were on a charter next to me; handlines were used and when we got to the " X marks the spot" the skipper called out, "ok, chuck 'em out" ...2 handlines were thrown overboard...:arghh:

On the other hand, I have been fishing, on and off, for better than 65 years and am still learning a few bits and pieces. As a matter-of-fact, in the past week, have just caught 2 new species of fish...to me, that is and they are fairly common fish.

Dunno where you are, or where you intend going, but might I suggest an upmarket type of fishing charter, rather than one that caters to rubbernecks? That way, you will get a better "grounding" on how to do this, or that.

Catching a marlin a 1 day affair...My son spent 3 weekends fishing for his first marlin, a baby of 25lb up in the Darwin. Then went and caught 3 the next trip out.

Hope this is of some help...If not, come up here and I will try and give you a trip to our local islands and give you a few pointers...:yes: You supply bait and fuel; I supply the tinny.

Cheers, Bobj.

Agree with Bob on this one.

Try not to go out on a 'party' boat, too many people and won't learn a lot. May cost a little more to get on a good boat with fewer people, but well worth it in the end.:yes:

Takes years and years to learn stuff, never learn enough as far as I am concerned, all part of fishing and enjoying it really. Just when you think you have it sussed along comes something/someone and hey presto, 'Never Knew That'.:jiggy:

Before I bugger off for the night, what was the second new species Bob, I think the first was a long finned trev, could be wrong, but can't find the blooming pic now, would be great to know, always interested.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Agree with Bob on this one.

Try not to go out on a 'party' boat, too many people and won't learn a lot. May cost a little more to get on a good boat with fewer people, but well worth it in the end.:yes:

Takes years and years to learn stuff, never learn enough as far as I am concerned, all part of fishing and enjoying it really. Just when you think you have it sussed along comes something/someone and hey presto, 'Never Knew That'.:jiggy:

Before I bugger off for the night, what was the second new species Bob, I think the first was a long finned trev, could be wrong, but can't find the blooming pic now, would be great to know, always interested.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Blubberlips bream. Only about 4 lbs, but a real, honest fight. released after the pic.

8102011001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest59177

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm currently in Karachi, Pakistan with the GSM 175 visa application going through external checks (they do this for ALL Pakistani applicants). If everything goes well, I'll be in Sydney sometime in the middle of next year or late next year - maybe even much earlier than that. After that it will take me some time to get my bearings straight, get a job, settle down. But once that's done, I'll be seeking out your services for sure. Thanks for the offer!!!

Jon's hoping to get some decent time in to fish before getting a job - but due to only having one income until he does get a job it'll prolly be a lil while before he can battle the mighty Barra. Until then he'll have to settle for what he can find around Victoria and Melbourne :)

Jon's hoping to get some decent time in to fish before getting a job - but due to only having one income until he does get a job it'll prolly be a lil while before he can battle the mighty Barra. Until then he'll have to settle for what he can find around Victoria and Melbourne :)

Tell him to find a mate with a tinny and get out into PPB for the snapper.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived