A Few Fish Facts

Bobj

Guest The Pom Queen

I saw that they are stopping Barra fishing up here until next year is this all over Oz or just Queensland and do they do this for any other fish?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that they are stopping Barra fishing up here until next year is this all over Oz or just Queensland and do they do this for any other fish?

Queensland only, Katie. The NT has a closed season (1st Oct to 31st Jan) in the Daly and Mary (Shady Camp to the sea, including Tommycut Ck).

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 weeks later...

Barramundi...the northern sportfish.

The barra is found from the Mary River, SE Qld, north, around the Northern Territory to about Kalbarri, WA. It is most prolific the further north one goes. They range in size from 20 cm to over 1 metre and can weigh up to 38 kg but the average size is around 65 to 75 cm and about 4 to 8 kg.

A fish of both fresh and salt water it has a tremendous reputation as both a sportfish and a table fish.

In dams, the preferred method of fishing for the barra is by casting, or trolling lures . The lures need to be robust with extra strong hooks, preferably treble hooks. Typical barra lures are Predatek Vipers and Killalure Barrabaits.

http://www.predatek.com/pdf/V150-S150.pdf

http://www.hookupfishing.com.au/?stg=3422

The soft plastics are fast becoming the most prolific barra lure, no doubt due to its cheapness.

In saltwater,small mullet, fresh fish strips and pillies floated down the water column are best, then gradually reeled in with the odd flick of the rod tip to imitate an injured fish.

13112011001-1.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

you don't have any trouble with worms in the salmon Bob. just saying that when i lived in Weipa the salmon there were infested with worms

G'day mate, salmon are noted for the worms. Just cook them in the normal manner, but make sure the fillets are well cooked.

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/pubs/parasite.htm

An extract:

What can consumers do if they find a worm in fish?

If a parasite is present in a fish, you have several options:

• Remove the parasite, examine the fish for others and cook the fish. Thorough cooking kills all parasites

• Notify the store where you bought the fish so that the store can carefully inspect remaining fish.

• Depending on the return policy of the particular store, you may wish to return or exchange the unused portion.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest37336

Sorry Bob.

But come on mate, getting withdrawals here from lack of good fishing,:cry:

Any new species or catches to talk about Bob.:jiggy:

G'day mate, salmon are noted for the worms. Just cook them in the normal manner, but make sure the fillets are well cooked.

http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/pubs/parasite.htm

An extract:

What can consumers do if they find a worm in fish?

If a parasite is present in a fish, you have several options:

• Remove the parasite, examine the fish for others and cook the fish. Thorough cooking kills all parasites

• Notify the store where you bought the fish so that the store can carefully inspect remaining fish.

• Depending on the return policy of the particular store, you may wish to return or exchange the unused portion.

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh great you have just ruined fish for me!

Wish there was, mate...20 knot winds from the SE whipping up a 3 metre swell...:mad:

Was a good morning t'other day, 4 golden snapper hooked up, but lost the best, a 6-7 pounder 'cos Clarrie the cod fancied it for brekkie. I lifted the fish too early and the rocks did the dastardly deed of cutting the line. Then hooked up to a spotty mack; Clarrie fancied that too, and got it. But I got the mack back. A few big teeth marks across the flanks, so I gave the fish to an old lady.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived