Northern Territory Govt woo skilled Irish workers

Cerberus1

A Northern Territory government delegation is in Ireland at the moment week trying to woo skilled workers to fill a job vacancies in the Top End.

The Northern Territory has had the lowest jobless rate in the nation this year, hovering at about three per cent.

At the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS in Dublin yesterday, queues stretched around the block with around 5000 people attending the weekend expo.

The NT's employment minister Rob Knight was at the expo. He said the NT is expected to need at least 20,000 new workers over the next five years because the jobs cannot be filled locally or elsewhere from Australia. There are vacancies in 130 professions, Mr Knight said, from construction to the booming mining and medical sectors.

Despite its vast size and low population, the Territory is undergoing a housing boom.

Greg Bicknell from the chamber of commerce acknowledged that the Northern Territory was not as sought-after a location as cities such as Melbourne or Sydney, but it had one critical selling point.

“We have more employment opportunities. Other cities in Australia are undergoing a recession because the strength of the Australian dollar is making the manufacturing sector uncompetitive.”

why does it always seem to be irish workers? WA was the same, i saw a article saying they were coming over to take them back to ireland, Also when we were looking at new zealand there was a company looking to sponsor irish excavator operators, what about scotland lol there arent many jobs here either!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in The NtT for 4 months, and week after week, i see more and more jobs advertised. With Inpex coming in to build up the LNG sector, The NT is going to have a massive boom in a year or so. There's hardly enough people up here to cover jobs now, let alone when all the new infrastructure etc is going to be needed. You want to live in Oz, take a serious look at the Top End :)

Hey Scottish Stace.

I've been offered permanent sponsorship by my previous employer, but my new employer is a big Ozzy company, so hoping to impress them aswell.

Depending on what job you want, you could get state sponsorship. Best advice i can give is spend the time researching all the projects, buidling and infrastructue work that is being assessed or in its preliminary stages, then approach companies directly. The worst they can do is say no. Don't just e-mail them either, ring hr people and management. If companies don't hire direct, speak to their contractors or labour hire providers. If you have what people want, you will be accepted.

Just be careful, as every jobsite and workplace is different. For example, in my industry a lot of mines, quarries and building sites want you to have every ticket, licence and competency under the sun, others will gladly accept you providing you have experience.

Good luck with your job search. If you or anybody else wants advice, i'll help you as best i can. Just remember, i am only on a whv currently myself, and am exploring EVERY option and opportunity for remaining in OZ. Not just in The NT, but Oz wide.

to be honest NT wasnt where we were looking at but if it was a way in we'd take it. we've been looking at perth mainly. We're going to expo next month in manchester and theres a big company called Leighton Contractors that have advertised saying they are looking to hire excavator operators and other sorts of machine operators and truck operators

to be honest NT wasnt where we were looking at but if it was a way in we'd take it. we've been looking at perth mainly. We're going to expo next month in manchester and theres a big company called Leighton Contractors that have advertised saying they are looking to hire excavator operators and other sorts of machine operators and truck operators

Just be careful with this, as machine operators are not on the nation SOL. The NT as far as i know are the only state/territory with machine operator on it's SMP, which means you would do an "off-list" nomination for permanent visas. If you were sponsored to work anywhere else, i believe Leighton would go down the 457 long-term business visa, or RSMS (Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme) visa ruotes. Bear in mind, the 457 is valid only for upto 3 years. The RSMS is permanent, but you have to live in the designated area for 2 years.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on. :)

Im not very clued up on it all but as far as i can understand it would be a RSMS visa and perth is now under one of the locations for this. Been told the rsms visa is our only option since excavator operators arent on the 457 list

no job has to be on the 457 list. You obtain a 457 by the employer providing evidence and proof that a) they can provide you with upto 3 years work pretty much guaranteed...and b) that they are struggling to obtain the necessary skills from within the local workforce.

The whole country is crying out for operators, as there are simply not enough of them. Push, badger and pester people, and success will come eventually.

if you, or anyone else, wants any help or advice, just give me a shout :)

no job has to be on the 457 list. You obtain a 457 by the employer providing evidence and proof that a) they can provide you with upto 3 years work pretty much guaranteed...and b) that they are struggling to obtain the necessary skills from within the local workforce.

The whole country is crying out for operators, as there are simply not enough of them. Push, badger and pester people, and success will come eventually.

cheers james, all this visa stuff is confusing but i actually know more about it all than dave does lol. I'll just have to see what this leighton company are offering at the expo. Im a bit worried we'll go and theyl say they only want whv people or other people who already have their visas ready but that would probably be a waste of their time coming to the UK. just have to see i suppose, bought our tickets for manchester.

Yeah i see so many jobs online for him and its a struggle to find work here!

Leighton Holdings are quite a sizeable company. They wouldn't be travelling overseas looking for workers if they wern't prepared to spend the money getting the people they want into Oz. Have faith! ;)

If you have no look with them, try some of the biggest players, like BHP Biliton, NewCrest Mining and Rio Tinto

Hey james,

we have a recruitment contact in melbourne that helps us and he said he spoke to leighton this morning and the man said they're only coming over here to recruit whv people. but apparently hes not from HR so we've not to take his word 100%. ive not long booked the tickets, what a waste of £30 and i was about to book the hotel room this week. whats the point of them coming all the way over here just for whv people!! I really give up!!!

Hey james,

we have a recruitment contact in melbourne that helps us and he said he spoke to leighton this morning and the man said they're only coming over here to recruit whv people. but apparently hes not from HR so we've not to take his word 100%. ive not long booked the tickets, what a waste of £30 and i was about to book the hotel room this week. whats the point of them coming all the way over here just for whv people!! I really give up!!!

The trouble is it's a doddle to get people out here on a WHV as it's very quick compared to other visas. Also, it gives the employer the chance to look at the candidates whilst they are on their whv, then sort the wheat from the chaff, and offer the ones they like other visas.

Just to clarify, there is an occupation list for the 457 visa. There ISN'T a list for the RSMS visa. For RSMS, you do need a minimum of a 2 year job offer.

You can find the list for the 457 visa here:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00246

There are also minimum salary requirements for the 457 that don't necessarily apply to the RSMS visa.

There's plenty of info on it here Stacey:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/eligibility-employee-subclass-119.htm

I'm currently going through the application process for the onshore one as I came out on a 457 so let me know if you have any questions.

You need to have experience and/or qualifications in that particular job. They are looking for at least an diploma OR you can prove:

the occupation has a skill level requirement of at least an AQF Certificate II (that is, within any Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) Major Groups, with a skill level 3 or 4)

the employee has filled the position while on a Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa (subclass 457) for at least two years prior to the nomination being lodged

the Regional Certifying Body also confirms that:

the sponsoring employer is actively and lawfully operating, and the nominated position is located in the regional area

there is a demonstrated need for a full-time paid employee in the business and this position is available for at least two years.

Thanks.

Im looking into the option ofme going a student visa then dave can work for 20hours and maybe find sponsorship while over there, we cant seem to find sponsorship for dave and i only have a svq 2 in animal care so i doubt id be able to be sponsored for a job on that

Guest guest59652

cool stacey what you going to study. that sounds a good option. on a student visa you probably will be able to work part time too. only downside is the fees for a student visa are relatively high, plus the fees to study here as an international will also be high.

You could have a long term plan and apply for a category 5 for a 175/176 through dave's skill. It might take a few years but it would probably be worth thinking about.

hey marchman, student visa really is my last choice but we'll see. we've been in contact with a company called western power and have been invited to a openday in edinburgh next weekend and then we're going to speak to them in manchester at the expo, we were going there anyway so quite handy. sent all his qualifications etc and they seem quite happy so fingers crossed! also spoke to a member on here who is recruiting for companys, they will be looking for drivers in the next few months and are sponsoring. so things are looking up a bit

Guest guest59652

Fantastic news stacey!! Thats excellent really pleased for you. You seem so passionate about it. Why australia when you have not been before.

I dont know, we've always felt a pull towards australia. Lots of people move over when they havent been before! Im such a worrier tho, ive been worrying about it even though i dont have a visa yet! worried about missing people and that it wont work out for us but dont know untill I try

Archived