Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'workers'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 68 results

  1. Hi All -if you are seeking work as a qualified Social Worker in Australia and are able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa we would love to hear from you as we have an abundance of Social Work posts in Melbourne, Sydney and beyond. My name is Rachel Perkins and I work in the Social Work Division of REED Melbourne and am a qualified Social Worker myself, having worked in the UK and here in Australia. REED have offices in Melbourne and Sydney and specialise in Social Care & Allied Health. Check out our website reedglobal.com or email me your resume for information on our agency and opportunities DownUnder. If you have child protection experience and are looking for Australian sponsorship I am currently managing a large UK recruitment drive for a government client in Victoria offering great salaries, relocation and 4 years sponsorship. Please email me your updated resume asap to be considered for these roles. rachel[dot]perkins[at]reedglobal[dot]com Looking forward to hearing from you.
  2. My OH has just started at a company just south of Brisbane, & they are crying out for any experienced sheet metal workers, and /or TIG & MIG welders. So if anyone has their visa & is interested, please pm us. He has just taken on position of production manager & is finding the quality of tradesmen not as good as some UK workers!! Kath & ****
  3. I looked out the ielts score for kindergarten teachers (for teacher'sregistration), which is 7 in each sector.Does is the same score for teacher's assistens and childcare workers? Thanx
  4. hi just wondering if any social workers from UK have had any problems transferring their sillis and qualifications to work in oz, as I have heard this can be problematic. any feedback would be great thanks bec
  5. Hi there i've never done this before so if i ramble too long or give too much info - sorry! :wideeyed: my partner and i are both social workers and have been offered state sponsorship for WA. having looked through lots of posts on this site i am beginning to panic about trying to find work in the perth area. my partner has DipSW and i have an MSc in SW. are the local councils the best folks to work for or are there other organisations that offer better opportunities? were there any problems with qualifications as long as balanced with experience? (both of us will be 3 years post qualifying when we move out with 4-5 years pre-qualifying experience) it seems to be really hard to get any useful information from any formal websites and we are really struggling to find jobs on any websites that we would be interested in. my preference is child protection and his is community care. Any hints or tips that you could give us would be fab cos we really have no idea where to start!! Cheers Freyja
  6. LOOKING FOR SOCIAL WORK OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA - CONTACT REED TODAY. REED are a specialist Social Work recruitment agency. We are working in partnership to recruit UK Social Workers into sponsored positions in regional South Australia. Our client is offering high salaries and relocation for the right candidates. Great (and rare) opportunity to gain employment Downunder and to experience the Aussie lifestyle. If you have Child Protection experience, a Social Work qualification and are available to relocate within the next 6 months contact Rachel at REED today - rachel[dot]perkins[at]reedglobal[dot]com
  7. Hi All, REED's Australian Social Work division are currently recruiting for UK trained Child Protection Social Workers for a number of positions offering sponsorship and relocation throughout Australia. REED have been in business for 50 years in the UK and in Australia we are market leaders and preferred suppliers to a number of government and community organisations nationwide. Our Social Work division is staffed by Social Workers so we know the profession well and value our candidates. We are now requesting resumes from Social Workers with a minimum of 2 years child protection experience to be considered for these fantastic opportunities to work Down Under. If you are keen to make the move to OZ and can commit to 2 years at a minimum please PM me. We are currently shortlisting for positions across 3 states / territories in Australia and envisage interviews will be held over the coming month. If you are too old to obtain a Working Holiday Visa and have always dreamt about working abroad - now is your chance!:biggrin:
  8. A Northern Territory government delegation is in Ireland at the moment week trying to woo skilled workers to fill a job vacancies in the Top End. The Northern Territory has had the lowest jobless rate in the nation this year, hovering at about three per cent. At the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS in Dublin yesterday, queues stretched around the block with around 5000 people attending the weekend expo. The NT's employment minister Rob Knight was at the expo. He said the NT is expected to need at least 20,000 new workers over the next five years because the jobs cannot be filled locally or elsewhere from Australia. There are vacancies in 130 professions, Mr Knight said, from construction to the booming mining and medical sectors. Despite its vast size and low population, the Territory is undergoing a housing boom. Greg Bicknell from the chamber of commerce acknowledged that the Northern Territory was not as sought-after a location as cities such as Melbourne or Sydney, but it had one critical selling point. “We have more employment opportunities. Other cities in Australia are undergoing a recession because the strength of the Australian dollar is making the manufacturing sector uncompetitive.”
  9. The Pom Queen

    Farm Workers SA

    TRACTOR DRIVERS - FARM WORKERS - ref: Job Description Potato Farm seeking- Casual or permanent ongoing work! Will suit experienced tractor drivers or experienced farm operator looking for a permanent position, and willing to take on long term training. Dynamic, professional and growing business. An Opportunity To Join A Leading Potato And Onion Grower This is a great opportunity for a hard working, highly reliable person who is looking to join our team at Pinnaroo/Yarrahville Farm. For over 35 years our group has been growing and packaging potatoes, onions and olive oil for sale in major Australian supermarket chains and produce markets nationally. We also supply our produce to the international market. We are a dynamic and progressive company with state-of-the-art facilities. We are an organisation that understands the importance of people and quality within it's business and provides a unique opportunity for the right person to work in a cutting edge and versatile team environment. You will be well rewarded for your reliability, dedication, pro-active attitude, and motivation to do a good job. As Tractor Driver you will report directly to the Farm Manager. You will assist with land preparation, the growing and harvesting of potatoes and onions. You be skilled and experienced in tractor drivin Qualifications Current drivers licence Experience & Knowledge Tractor Driving Farm Machinery Operation Profile Location of Job: Pinnaroo - South Australia Lenght of Employment ONGOING or TEMPORARY Date of Job Posting: 05/08/2011 Contact Name: Paula Hentschke Contact Email: paula.hentschke@mitologroup.com.au Contact Phone: 08 8282 9000
  10. Although I don't like publishing numbers out on the forum there is no other way to get you this contact over, so if you are looking for work try calling Mr Hicks on ‎07 4748 4852
  11. WA turns to UK to find workers Monday 11th July 2011 Western Australia needs thousands of skilled workers and the state government is taking its recruitment drive to the United Kingdom. A booming resources sector, which has sparked some $225 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the coming 25 years, will leave Western Australia short-staffed and even the nation as a whole cannot answer the demand, the state government says. Projections show the need for up to 150,000 extra skilled workers by 2017, WA Training and Workplace Development Minister Peter Collier says. Visiting the UK on a 10-day tour to promote WA as a destination for skilled migrants, Mr Collier said the state offers an attractive lifestyle and good working conditions. 'Working in Western Australia will give people the opportunity to develop skills that can be transferable back to their country of origin,' Mr Collier said in a statement. 'We aim to show skilled migrants, short-term workers, working holiday makers and their families the opportunities in Western Australia.' The area forecast to be most in need of skilled workers is health care and social assistance, where an additional 28,200 positions are expected to become available over the next six years. Construction, education and training positions are also projected to be in demand, followed by jobs in retail, transport, postal services, warehousing, scientific and technical services. Openings are also expected in the services sector, from aged care and automotive to hospitality and tourism. Mr Collier will attend migration expos in England, Scotland and Ireland where he will also meet with government representatives and migration agents to promote the opportunities in Western Australia. An industry and government delegation is accompanying Mr Collier, including representatives from the Australian Hotels Association, the Motor Trades Association, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA, and the Chamber of Minerals and Energy WA.
  12. Hello peeps. I am about to embark on a few OU courses, and this will involve me home studying and hopefully getting some experience behind me of learning about what I enjoy, BUT. As you know I have always been interested in the written word and to an extent my keyboard skills. At the present time I can type around 40 - 50 words PM using two fingers, with the odd mistake, (but spell checker is my best friend,:yes:) But my question is this, and I have read every article on it, but honesty time folks. I have been perusing several short courses at some regional colleges around my way and a lot run 'How To Type' course, lasting between 5 and 9 weeks, two hours a week. Does this sound about right for an idiot like myself to be able to type 'properly'. I know I am jumping the gun here, but my long term aim is to speed type/touch type so that I can get far more done than I normally do. Do I HAVE to learn how to type properly first, or can I learn to touch type without needing to know how to use all my fingers properly first. Many thanks, and remember if successful I may be doing longer posts on PIO,:shocked::policeman: Cheers Tony.:wink:
  13. Hello, I am in need of some help from people that work in Hospitals throughout Australia. I am looking to move to Australia in the next few years and i am looking into jobs over there but i have such an unusual job it is so hard. In the UK i am a mortuary technician but in Australia i would look to be a post mortem assistant. I have found 2 adverts for roles in this area but they are both years old and i cant even find info on mortuaries. I know that in Hospitals they are called either Department or Institutes of Forensic Medicine. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that was working within a hospital that could get a contact name and number, or email address. I have a couple but they are from the job adverts so i have no idea if they are still there and active. Even finding out the job code for a visa has been a bit of a nighmare!! Any help would be great, Michelle
  14. Wellers and Whitehead

    Social workers in Oz/driving etc

    I am panicking slightly! I currently work as a CP social worker in the UK and have done for the past 2 years, I have worked with LAC for 2 years prior to this job role. I am unable to drive due to having epilepsy and have mananged with the help of good management to do my job without driving. We are emigrating to Perth, but having looked on the internet for jobs in perth, there are few jobs and 99% I have seen ask for a drivers license. Are you a non driving SW or do you know of a non driving SW? Even hospital jobs ive seen in Perth, ask for a drivers license. Aymie
  15. Guest

    Childcare workers

    Hi, I've just opened a childcare centre in Frankston South, so if any childcare workers are coming over, please pm me. Thanks Tracey
  16. Hi there, I have just arrived in Australia and am a qualified Social Worker (have been working in Child protection). I am not eligible for registration with the AASW (only 2 years post qualifying experience) so am looking for other kinds of children and family related positions while I work out what to do. Does any one know a) can I apply for police clearance myself or does the employer I work for have to do this? b) Same for childrens checks (same as enhanced CRB in England I assume), In England the employer has to do this. c) I have a medical from my visa application, will I need this to work with children. d)Do I need to get a first aid certificate too e)Anyone know any good agencies/ points of contact to get me started I am planning on living in Perth iniially and thenover to Sydney Any help whatsoever greatly appereciated Thanks Sarah :v_SPIN:
  17. Guest

    When Big Mining Needs Workers

    senate estimates 24 May 2011 When Big Mining Needs Workers By Adam Brereton Senate Estimates is scrutinising the law on temporary skilled work visas. Adam Brereton sat in and heard plenty of talk about labour shortages - and not much about employee rights Extensions being made to the much-maligned 457 temporary skilled migrant visas have cleared Senate Estimates with little examination of their ethical consequences or detail of how future breaches will be avoided. The 457 visas are work visas which allow companies to sponsor overseas workers to fill positions. The Gillard Government, responding to recommendations made by the National Resources Sector Employment Taskforce in July last year, is introducing the Enterprise Migration Agreements (EMA) scheme, a tailor-made temporary skilled migration program specifically designed to serve the ongoing labour needs of the resource and mining sectors. EMAs will be available to "mega projects" with more than $2 billion capital and a peak workforce of 1500. The Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs heard yesterday that 13 projects are already likely to qualify, with an additional 21 being considered for feasibility. Not many projects, in other words, will be able to make special arrangements for the employment of overseas workers. No details were given as to the specific nature of the projects, but the Standing Committee heard that the resource sector had lobbied the figure down from $10 billion. Representatives of the sector have also indicated their desire for a lower threshold in order to further broaden the reach of the scheme. Skilled and semi-skilled migrants brought to Australia under an EMA are to be employed on 457 visas. The number of skilled workers who can be employed in this way will not be capped — so long as the sponsoring business meets their legal obligations under the Worker Protection Act 2009 and demonstrates "effective and ongoing local recruitment efforts". Semi-skilled or "subtrade" worker numbers will be capped under the EMA, and businesses will be required to demonstrate why they are unable to source subtrade workers locally. The scheme also sets requirements for investment in local training and encourages projects to reduce their reliance on foreign labour, and mandates either a 2 per cent payroll contribution to an industry training fund or a 1 per cent contribution to local training. However, the Standing Committee heard little in the way of specifics as to how the scheme would avoid the endemic exploitation for which the system has been notorious in the past. Under questioning from Senator Mark Furner (ALP), Kruno Kukoc, the first assistant secretary for DIAC’s migration and visa policy division assured the Standing Committee that consultation over the scheme had been broad and that "even during the development of the EMA concept, we did engage into a range of consultation with key union bodies". He wasn’t asked for specifics. When asked by Furner what concrete protections were in place, Kukoc cited the Worker Protection Act 2009 that governs all 457 visas and indicated that a "full spectrum of protection" including litigation, inspection powers and infringement notices was in place. He admitted that ultimately the "employer will have responsibility over the contract … the project owner carries a responsibility." He noted specifically that if a business holding an EMA infringes, it may "trigger a renegotiation of the EMA". A question from Furner on whether DIAC requires specific ethics inquiries did not receive a substantive answer — and it was not pursued. Kukoc was also questioned by Bob Brown over the granting of 27 four-year 457 visas to Ta Ann, a wood processing company from Malaysia based in Tasmania’s Huon district. When asked by Brown about the local economic conditions that justified the granting of visas to four foreign wood machinists over Tasmanian workers, Kukoc replied there was "no economic reason to opt for a 457 visa if there is a local worker". Brown disagreed. He claimed Kukoc was making a "value judgement", and asked "what would have been required of Ta Ann to show they had taken due diligence [in sourcing local labour]?" The reply? "Senator, for 457 skilled workers the legislation doesn’t require formal labor market testing, we don’t require employers to go through a formalised testing… the key concept in the new legislation is the concept of market rates and the equalised terms of employment". Brown kept on asking questions about housing arrangements for the 457 workers, whether they had access to family, culture and entertainment, and whether the department assessed working conditions of workers employed by parent companies overseas before granting visas. He asked whether foreign workers might be induced to work harder or longer hours as a result of more isolated conditions Kukoc said these responsibilities lay with employers under 457 contracts, and the "key obligation is to ensure the same working arrangements … similar or equal to an Australian worker." Brown and Tasmanian Liberal Senator Guy Barnett both made reference to a Huon town hall meeting on Saturday. Brown alleged Malaysian Ta Ann workers were forced to attend as a "presence" for the company. Barnett did not agree. He asked Kukoc whether he understood "that it would be completely reasonable and fair [for the workers] to attend a meeting on the future of their company being threatened?" He also asked whether Kukoc was aware of "Green and other policies" designed to "kill off the forest industry" — which earned him a reproach from Minister Kim Carr, acting for DIAC. Over the last year, 457 visa lodging rates have increased by 40 per cent.
  18. Hello, I am completing the AASW form with regards to emmigrating to Australia, and have a few questions that I would like clarifying. 1) Question 15 asks for qualifications. I completed a GNVQ BTEC Advanced Health and Social care in 1995-97. I have put for this not be assessed, if it was to be assessed what documents would I have to provide? I only have the units I took (18 units) and if I paased each one (whichI did). It also asks for details of field work placements during the above course. I know that I did undertake a placement at a children's nursery but I was not assessed on this placement. I cannot remember where it was or any details about this placement/supervisor/s. What would you advise I put in this section (Q.15A)? 2) My second qualification is BA (Hons) Social Work. - Do I have to give the exact topic/title of my thesis? I have moved and all my Uni stuff is in boxes, am I able to write that it was about Female perpetrators of Domestic Violence and support services available to men. - I do not know what qualifications my practice supervisors within my 3 University placements had, how should i answer this question. - When describing the field work I undertook in the placements, is it enough to write what the services aims were, and what the service offered to clients. Please advise me if this section requires further information. 3) With regard to work history, how much am I expected to write? A paragraph summarising my role or a list of my duties? I work within Child Protection at present, so this could be quite extensive. Thanks In Advance, Aymie
  19. Hi All, I thought I would start this as there seems to be a few of us heading for Oz. I hope this might give us some links, and the opportunity for meet ups when we are finally there, depending of course how far away everyone is, as Gippsland is huge. Feel free to PM me or post on here. We fly out on 23rd Nov!! Regards Pauline:wacko:
  20. Hi, my name is Gemma I currently live in the U.K with the hope of one day moving to Australia. I am looking for some advice on sponsorship I am currently working in a learning disability service and have just completed my Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care. Does anyone know if sponsors are avaliable for support workers? Any advice would be great :biggrin: Gemma.
  21. Hi all Would appreciate quick short reply answers, particularly from those of you working in CBD. Which Suburb do you live in? How long does it take you to get to work? and how do you get there Bus, Car, Train Walk? What is the median House Price for a four bed? How far are you from the Coast? Walking time or Drive time. Can your kids walk to school? If I get enough info I will put a spreadsheet together, which I hope will help others too. Thanks ever so Eve
  22. Guest

    ACT hunting for skilled workers

    Interesting read from Canberra Times: Hunt for skilled workers heads offshore - Local News - News - General - The Canberra Times "The team will speak to people with skills that are in demand in Canberra's local industries including health, building and construction, finance, administration, management, engineering and ICT [information and communications technology]. "
  23. Guest

    ground workers

    Hi i was just wondering if there is much work is oz for ground workers and what sort of qualifications are needed to work in oz.:biggrin:
  24. I have read about a difference in the work between OZ and UK practice, it was child protection that was mentioned. Does anybody have any further information on the apparent differences, good or bad?? At present I work in child protection but do not feel child pro is 'my thing.' I enjoy working with Looked After Children, children and families. I have found it very difficult to get any info about the differences in practice, wages etc. My partner and I are hopefully heading to VIC, just awaiting SS, its been 11 weeks so should be anytime soon!
  25. Hey All... I'm writing in the hope that someone here can help me?? I'm from the UK and looking to come back to Oz some time in the near future if possible. I have read online that there are some agencies in Australia that have the ability to sponser overseas workers with the skills, qualifications and experience of working as a 'disability support worker'. I work here and have done for the previous 7 yrs in mental health, caring for the elderly with dementia, alzheimers and challenging behaviours. Afer reading on some websites and one in particular in Sydney it would appear that I would be eligible for sponsorship, though no one seems to want to reply??? I have my NVQ 3 in health and social care, which on the AQF it equates to a level 4/5/diploma.... Is there anyone out there who can steer me in the right direction with agencies that want someone with my experience and capability. Thankyou so much!! Kim Happy New Year To All :-) xx