Mobile phones ~ What did you do?

cartertucker

Guest mr magoo

I brought my I phone from the UK, it was unlocked and works fine on Telstra and Optus, two of the main Oz networks.

There are also plenty of pay as you talk deals here if needed, contract phones seem to cost more here.

We brought our unlocked phones here and use OZ sims. I am with Virgin, which is OK in the CBD but is quite bad outside it. It is on Optus network. Telstra is said to have the best coverage but is quite more expensive than other providers - think of it as Orange in the UK. My husband is with Telstra on his work mobile and has no problem with it. I am looking for a different provider myself at the moment, any suggestions here?

As long as your phone isn't network locked, you'll find that Aus sims are cheap and easy to get. We popped into the 24 hour convenience shop opposite our first night hotel and found a selection of SIMS there basically for the cost of the credit they came pre-loaded with. This had us up and running with mobiles less than two hours after landing!

(As an OT aside, this isn't true everywhere. When we did some travelling a couple of years back, we found that Canada was a total rip off...they wanted $60 for a local SIM...then you had to buy credit on top of that!)

Telstra has the best network, Vodaphone is Vodafail - I am with them and the calls keep cutting out a total nightmare.

There is also Amaysim which offers a package where you get calls and text for free (subject to certain conditions of coure) but then there is also Lebara and Lycamobile. Lyca I know piggybacks on Telstra so if you want the convenience of Telstra without the price Lyca is the way to go.

Before signing on with any contract though check your reception - cause it doesnt mean that if you are in the city that all networks are equal. No use being unable to get reception on your chosen network when you are at home or at work.