Guest jtrd

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That will be me in shorts and tshirts all the time..after the chilly irish weather I'm sure any increase in temperature will have me stripping off the layers!:smile:

Dont leave all the fleeces at home!!! :smile: Theres been a few chilly mornings/nights, and i refused to buy any winter clothes.. Will be bringing some back with me from home when i go!!

On sat i had shorts and vest on - it was so so hot. Gorgeous day, It's one of those days and you think yes this was a great move!!!

Yest (sunday) t shirt and leggings as bit chilly and then this morn rain jacket and boots as it was bucketing all night. Very wierd!! ha ha. I go nowhere without a brolly in my bag!! Love it though!!

Guest orlaandjoe
Dont leave all the fleeces at home!!! :smile: Theres been a few chilly mornings/nights, and i refused to buy any winter clothes.. Will be bringing some back with me from home when i go!!

On sat i had shorts and vest on - it was so so hot. Gorgeous day, It's one of those days and you think yes this was a great move!!!

Yest (sunday) t shirt and leggings as bit chilly and then this morn rain jacket and boots as it was bucketing all night. Very wierd!! ha ha. I go nowhere without a brolly in my bag!! Love it though!!

Thanks thats a good tip, because I was edging towards leaving the winter stuff behind but I'll definately bring some of it with me!:yes:pennys will be raided before I go!:biglaugh:

Thanks thats a good tip, because I was edging towards leaving the winter stuff behind but I'll definately bring some of it with me!:yes:pennys will be raided before I go!:biglaugh:

I miss Penny's sooo much!!! I'm gonna be stocking up big time when home!! Things like tights, underwear, socks and the cheap pennys things are expensive here. I would honestly advise bringing a hoodie or two. There actually is a winter here for a little while (unfortunately) :wink:

Guest Pitlad1944

I have lived in Perth since 1998 and to be honest Australia as gone backwards since I first arrived.A fair amount seem to be on drugs ,you have to think twice before you go out at night I call it the Wild West the politicians are on the take and screwing the citizens if it,s not them it Big Business Taxed to the Hilt ,me I would not come mate stay where you are

I have lived in Perth since 1998 and to be honest Australia as gone backwards since I first arrived.A fair amount seem to be on drugs ,you have to think twice before you go out at night I call it the Wild West the politicians are on the take and screwing the citizens if it,s not them it Big Business Taxed to the Hilt ,me I would not come mate stay where you are

Maybe true for Perth, but Geraldton is totally different to Perth!!!!! :rolleyes:

If you've such a bad opinion of it maybe you should leave. I think Perth is great.

Guest orlaandjoe
I miss Penny's sooo much!!! I'm gonna be stocking up big time when home!! Things like tights, underwear, socks and the cheap pennys things are expensive here. I would honestly advise bringing a hoodie or two. There actually is a winter here for a little while (unfortunately) :wink:

Everyone says clothes are much dearer so at least we can be prepared and stock up before we go!I'll def pack some woolies..at least over there we dont mind if its a bit cold in the winter cuz we will be guaranteed a beautiful hot summer!:cute:What part of Geraldton are you in at the moment?

Everyone says clothes are much dearer so at least we can be prepared and stock up before we go!I'll def pack some woolies..at least over there we dont mind if its a bit cold in the winter cuz we will be guaranteed a beautiful hot summer!:cute:What part of Geraldton are you in at the moment?

Cold here would be like a cold spring day at home :laugh: So you'll be able for that!!

Living in Beresford at the mo, we got lucky with location, its about 5min drive for me to work and mayb 20/25 min walk to town. Near the beach too...

Clothes are more expensive, and i dont think there great quality either. Heading home next week and Dunnes & Pennys will be hit hard!!!! Yaaaay:biggrin:

Guest orlaandjoe
Cold here would be like a cold spring day at home :laugh: So you'll be able for that!!

Living in Beresford at the mo, we got lucky with location, its about 5min drive for me to work and mayb 20/25 min walk to town. Near the beach too...

Clothes are more expensive, and i dont think there great quality either. Heading home next week and Dunnes & Pennys will be hit hard!!!! Yaaaay:biggrin:

Beresford looks really nice we were looking up a few rentals round there, looks gorgeous!:smile:

We are from Louth, but work situation isn't great for either of us here. We are hoping to be over there the first or second week of December, so much to do before then though! Geraldton just looks fab so excited to get there!:v_SPIN:

Hi orlaandjoe

I am Irish and living in Gero since the start of this year. There's a good few of us.

We seem to be taking over at the moment in fact!

It's not a bad town but there isn't a lot in terms of excitement. My life is very different here to back home. Like most WA country towns, the town revolves around sport and volunteering. Cricket season starting now, soccer and AFL just finished.

There is a small cinema that gets the really big blockbusters and sometimes less big ones a few months after they are out back home. Couple of clothes shops, lots of supermarkets, farmers markets, one swimming pool... lots of surfers (medium shark risk)...

The town is starting to become more vibrant due to some energy in the council and a lot of new migrants from around Oz and abroad.

Just joined the forum and thought I would say hi and wish you luck - feel free to ask anything you'd like to know.

:)

Guest orlaandjoe
Hi orlaandjoe

I am Irish and living in Gero since the start of this year. There's a good few of us.

We seem to be taking over at the moment in fact!

It's not a bad town but there isn't a lot in terms of excitement. My life is very different here to back home. Like most WA country towns, the town revolves around sport and volunteering. Cricket season starting now, soccer and AFL just finished.

There is a small cinema that gets the really big blockbusters and sometimes less big ones a few months after they are out back home. Couple of clothes shops, lots of supermarkets, farmers markets, one swimming pool... lots of surfers (medium shark risk)...

The town is starting to become more vibrant due to some energy in the council and a lot of new migrants from around Oz and abroad.

Just joined the forum and thought I would say hi and wish you luck - feel free to ask anything you'd like to know.

:)

Hey there!

Thanks so much for all the info it's great to know!Can't believe there's so many Irish living in geraldton thought there would be hardly any,that's great!what part of Ireland are you from? And what part of Geraldton are you living in?I just signed my contract with my Australian employer last week so hopefully the visa process goes quickly,so excited to get going!:)

Can't believe there's so many Irish living in geraldton thought there would be hardly any,that's great!!:)

Its actually crazy, I still cant get over it, went out for the Irish match on Saturday and there was a load of Irish out. :laugh:

Headin to Ireland for 3wks tomoro and i cant wait :jiggy:

Guest orlaandjoe
Its actually crazy, I still cant get over it, went out for the Irish match on Saturday and there was a load of Irish out. :laugh:

Headin to Ireland for 3wks tomoro and i cant wait :jiggy:

That sounds like great craic,pity they lost though! I'd say you're so excited to get home and see everyone (and shop like mad lol)..enjoy yourself and have a safe journey!

Orla x

We stopped in Geraldton on our way to Kalbarri (then Exmouth) ... I was really impressed with the foreshore (hubby said he thinks they've done a lot of investment recently). Certainly somewhere I might like to visit rather than pass through.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm new to this forum too, i moved to Geraldton in June and have an 11 year old girl, a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, liking it so far, (was previously on the gold coast for 6 years) i'm from Yorkshire origionally, but yes, not a great deal of excitement going on but its what you make of it :yes:

Guest orlaandjoe
Hi I'm new to this forum too, i moved to Geraldton in June and have an 11 year old girl, a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, liking it so far, (was previously on the gold coast for 6 years) i'm from Yorkshire origionally, but yes, not a great deal of excitement going on but its what you make of it :yes:

Hi there!welcome to the forum,glad you're liking geraldton!is there much to do for the kids?I have a six year old son,he's really excited about the move too.

Orla

Guest shaunpbsl@yahoo.co.uk

hi there , been reading the posts regarding Gero.. i've been living here for 18 months now, thought i might be able too give a bid of advice on the area, lived in tarcoola beach for 8 months , now living in mount tarcoola , both nice suburbs , there is some area too avoid........ spalding , rangway . take a look at www.realestate.com.au will give you a good idea ,both rentals & sales .. to cheap you know why ?

the housing market is pretty flat at the moment, so if your intenting too buy now is a very good time , land prices offer a great option ( some great bargains to be had )

I notice there's a few guy's heading over in dec ... like you love the sun , But it gets hot !! high 30's low 40's in dec a bit warmer in jan & feb ,so if your working outside as i do , be prepared...

Lifestyle , maybe a bit quiet for some people , camping , fishing anything to do with water absolutely brillant....

Any questions or help please ask . Good luck

Shaun..

• 1 month later...

My friends parents have been in Geraldton for approx 6 years , could be longer , and from what i know they love it , Nice town , close to the ocean , decent marina , got a nice house . a few ex pats live there .

He's a boat pilot / captain / something like that and works for a big oil/gas/ ore company ( vague i know )

Cant remember thew dads name but his mum is called Sue Gammage .

Geraldton isnt to far from Monkey Mia also , a must do to go swimming with the dolphins :-)

lee

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey Emma..sounds so fab its freezing here!still waiting for visa..prob be Jan by the time we get there..how was your trip home?

Hey Emma..sounds so fab its freezing here!still waiting for visa..prob be Jan by the time we get there..how was your trip home?

Trip home was great.. Nice to see everyone but it was all misery really... Kinda glad to come back here!!! It made us realise we're better off here for another bit...

Jan will still be a good time to come and at least you'll have xmas at home!!! Thurs the first day of summer here and apparently it'll be heating up big time from then!! :eek:

Did ye find a rental yet or are ye waiting to suss the place out first?

Guest orlaandjoe

Sounds like heaven lol its sooo cold here at the minute, no snow yet though thankfully! No rental yet my employer is sorting us out with a short term rental for the first month which is fantastic so one less thing to worry over!did you find it hard to get a nice rental?

Sounds like heaven lol its sooo cold here at the minute, no snow yet though thankfully! No rental yet my employer is sorting us out with a short term rental for the first month which is fantastic so one less thing to worry over!did you find it hard to get a nice rental?

A month will be very handy.. It will give ye an idea of the place first so ye know where ye want to go. We had only 2 weeks accom on arrival so had to move pretty quick. It was hard enough to find somewhere nice in good location. we got kinda lucky in the end. But just keep searching online or even get in contact with real estates week before you leave to put your name down for viewings. Our lease is up for renewal and Ive been looking at other options, there seems to be a good few rentals out there. Our house is a little old but in brilliant location so I'm just gonna have to get over it.. :smile:

Guest orlaandjoe
I am still waiting for my interview..............Had enough now, too much waiting is doing my head in :wacko:

Any idea when the interview will be? Hope you get sorted soon!

Archived