Guest jtrd

I just arrived yesterday......

First impressions are good. My employer has put me up in a really great apartment for the first few weeks which is literally a stones throw from the ocean.

I took a walk into town this morning and it is easy to see that the town is on the up. Lot's of development work going on and some amazing houses. Yeah, there are some abandoned / run down lots but u get that everywhere I guess. On the whole, the place seems very friendly and the people I passed on my walk all said "G'day".

I have previous experience working in a REALLY remote location so I guess my expectations were set accordingly. If u come here expecting a modern vibrant town with world class eateries and pubs then yeah, u will be in for a culture shock. Things here are basic but like I and many others have said, it is a town that is actively growing. I am going to give it my best shot anyway. Arrive with a positive attitude and I am sure u will like it.

Furthermore, I would be pleased to hear from those already here..... I am on my own for a few months so would be delighted to meet up for a beer with fellow Poms already in town.

Cheers,

Gav

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just arrived yesterday......

First impressions are good. My employer has put me up in a really great apartment for the first few weeks which is literally a stones throw from the ocean.

I took a walk into town this morning and it is easy to see that the town is on the up. Lot's of development work going on and some amazing houses. Yeah, there are some abandoned / run down lots but u get that everywhere I guess. On the whole, the place seems very friendly and the people I passed on my walk all said "G'day".

I have previous experience working in a REALLY remote location so I guess my expectations were set accordingly. If u come here expecting a modern vibrant town with world class eateries and pubs then yeah, u will be in for a culture shock. Things here are basic but like I and many others have said, it is a town that is actively growing. I am going to give it my best shot anyway. Arrive with a positive attitude and I am sure u will like it.

Furthermore, I would be pleased to hear from those already here..... I am on my own for a few months so would be delighted to meet up for a beer with fellow Poms already in town.

Cheers,

Gav

Hi Gav,

Are you still happy in Geraldton? We are moving out in May so we will need temp acc untill our belonings arrive...any ideas??

I would love to hear how yuare getting on

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lin, Sorry for the late reply. Will your employer be paying for the temporary accommodation? If so, try Broadwater Mariner Resort. That is where my employer put me up for the first few weeks. Pretty nice fully furnished apartments but I don't think they are very cheap. Having said that, nothing is cheap in Geraldton unfortunately............. Check it out at http://www.mariner.broadwaters.com.au/ Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help. Cheers, Gav

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've been is Australia for over a year now and we are considering moving to Geraldton due to my OH work.

Have heard some good/bad reviews about the place and just looking for some information from someone living there we also have kids that will be going to school.

Any info please would be much appreciated.:biggrin:

Hi Iv been also looking at Geraldton as a place to move to in the future and I am wondering whether anyone knows what kind of mental health facilities they have or how frequently jobs as a mental health nurse come about?

Also I read on a website the cost of living is more expensive the further out of Perth you go, can anyone give me a rough estimate? The house prices on realestate seem reasonable.

Been here since end of October now and overall it is not too bad. There is plenty going on for kids and families and if you like the outdoors it is a wonderful place to be. The beaches are great and it is in easy reach of Kalbarri National Park (which is stunning) and obviously Shark Bay and Coral Bay..........although the latter are a bit beyond day trip distance.

What u have to remember about Geraldton is that it is a country town........... a big country town but a country town nonetheless. It has the typical things u need such as Coles, Woolies, IGA, Bunnings, Good Guys etc but they are on a smaller scale than u would get in a metropolitan area. There are plenty of pubs albeit only a couple of nice ones and heaps of eateries.............. average food, above average prices. No decent clothes shops so if u need a shopping fix, Perth is the answer. As for schools, I don't have kids so wouldn't know.

I was worried about crime before I came here as I had heard some horror stories. As usual, grossly exaggerated and despite the usual problems associated with regional towns (mainly alcohol) it is no worse than most other places. Put it this way, I reckon your chances of running into a "whatchoo lookin at broo I'll ****** smash ya" situation are far greater on the Gold Coast than they are here in Gero. U just have to be sensible and exercise the same caution u would anywhere........ especially in the early hours after closing time.

End of the day, it is what u make it. I don't think I would choose to live here if it wasn't for my job. But then again, when I get up in the morning and walk out onto the terrace and see the Indian Ocean crashing down just metres away, I think "it's not soo bad" :)

As previously said, any newbies want to get in touch, feel free to PM me. I cook a mean curry!!! ;)

Gav

• 10 months later...

Hi Folks

I am wondering if this thread is still up and running? I have a couple of Questions about Geraldton and looking for some experienced knowledge from persons who are living there?

Thanks for your time :)

Hi,

I am an Irish Nurse who moved to Geraldton a year ago, best thing i ever did, its a great town with everything in easy reach, yes i am big into sports but there is other stuff (drama, classes, family groups etc ) that you can get to meet people, ive met loads of friends both in work and outside, its up to you to put yourself out there, people are really friendly.

The climate is wonderful, and you will never need a winter coat ever again !!

let me know if you need some more info

S

Hi Susan

I wonder if you could PM me. Are you still working in Geraldton? I too am and Irish nurse who has been offered a position in Geraldton. I would love to hear your advice about the area?

Thanks a lot

Archived