Guest jtrd

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chiara,

There seems to be lots of new properties & estates popping up around the place. The town is expanding, however I couldnt comment on prices, i would presume it would be cheaper than Perth. I'm renting a house and Its alot cheaper.

Lots of real estate agents here you could check out; Ray White, Geraldton Property team, Kalazich Smith, Professionals.. I'm sure google would produce a few more.

Two said They were reviewing my details, one said check their web site for vacancies (none in G), and the fourth was an agent who sent me forms to fill in and said they had a couple of possibilities........I am so not good at waiting and with this process there is so much of it :sad:

Guest yorkie66

hi jtrd,

there are quite a few of us poms moving to geraldton..first batch go on sunday..next batch thats me and my family go in november..then the last batch in january..all hubbies are train drivers..have a look at the post for arg applicants...there we have chewed and mulled over the very questions your thinking right now...mount tarcoola tarcoola beach..strathalbyn...wandina are nice family areas...hubby been over to check it out...hope that helps you out......

hi jtrd,

there are quite a few of us poms moving to geraldton..first batch go on sunday..next batch thats me and my family go in november..then the last batch in january..all hubbies are train drivers..have a look at the post for arg applicants...there we have chewed and mulled over the very questions your thinking right now...mount tarcoola tarcoola beach..strathalbyn...wandina are nice family areas...hubby been over to check it out...hope that helps you out......

hi, have to ask, are they sponsering train drivers in Geraldton. A good friend has been looking for ages and has had no luck? Thanks!

Guest orlaandjoe
Two said They were reviewing my details, one said check their web site for vacancies (none in G), and the fourth was an agent who sent me forms to fill in and said they had a couple of possibilities........I am so not good at waiting and with this process there is so much of it :sad:

hopefully you hear more info soon!I am ridiculously impatient too, and cracking up waiting for everything to start happening!:arghh:

Guest yorkie66
hi, have to ask, are they sponsering train drivers in Geraldton. A good friend has been looking for ages and has had no luck? Thanks!

hi, yes all the drivers are being sponsered...try QR national freight ...for any vacancies.

Hi Dani251,

Accom is not as expensive as it is in other towns on west coast, try looking at some of the rental agencies for estimates (geraldton property team/kalazich smith/ray white/professionals)

I couldnt say on the transport, there is a town bus but i dont think it's very frequent, if you do live near the town, its very accessable on foot. At the weekends if I need anything I usually cycle in. Nice cycle path all along the beach.

As for food it's pretty much the same as anywhere, theres a big woolworths and coles here and a couple of IGA's.

Hope this helps

Em

Hi Dani251,

Accom is not as expensive as it is in other towns on west coast, try looking at some of the rental agencies for estimates (geraldton property team/kalazich smith/ray white/professionals)

I couldnt say on the transport, there is a town bus but i dont think it's very frequent, if you do live near the town, its very accessable on foot. At the weekends if I need anything I usually cycle in. Nice cycle path all along the beach.

As for food it's pretty much the same as anywhere, theres a big woolworths and coles here and a couple of IGA's.

Hope this helps

Em

Thanks so much Em, that is helpful..i'm a keen cyclist myself, so loving the idea of riding to work instead of doing the usual train commute! I'll check out the sites you suggest..thanks again..Can I ask if you reckon a couple could manage (at least initially) on a salary of around 51-54k? Dx

Guest orlaandjoe
OMG have a telephone interview this week for Geraldton Hosp!

woooohoo!well done you!we could be co workers lol!when is the interview?:jiggy:

Guest orlaandjoe
Mon/wed/fri - not sure which day yet! How did you find the interview? Any hints/tips?

The women who interviewed me were absolutely lovely, and made me feel a bit more relaxed. Ask if they can ring your number a few minutes before the interview to make sure theres no prob getting through. Make sure you're somewhere where your phone has full signal, that its fully charged, somewhere quiet. The good thing about a phone interview is that you can have all your notes around you, even if you don't use them its still reassuring. Most of the questions tend to be scenarios so just have a think back over your career and points that stood out. Have a bottle of water beside you because your mouth will get dry from talking so much! And there will be a little bit of a time lag on the phone line so don't let that put you off! Good luck let me know how it goes!

Thanks so much Em, that is helpful..i'm a keen cyclist myself, so loving the idea of riding to work instead of doing the usual train commute! I'll check out the sites you suggest..thanks again..Can I ask if you reckon a couple could manage (at least initially) on a salary of around 51-54k? Dx

I dont see why not, its the same as living anywhere really, its not overly expensive here, after 6 months living in Sydney Gero is so much cheaper. Its the initial start up costs that got us since we had never intended on stayin so had to buy everything but once we've settled into work and routine its going good...

You definately wont have to worry about getting a train here.. :smile: The bike is handy and few nice trails for leisurely cycle aswell..

Does anyone have info on the schools? My littlest will start kindy in Feb and the bigger one will be in yr 6. Is there a huge difference between the state and private schools in G?

Guest adamspam
Hi Orla and Joe,

We are planning on going mid January. I spent last night trawling through any information I could find and it does seem that it's perfect for us too. I am a nurse and hoping to get work in the hospital, hubby is a retail manager but is happy to turn his hand to anything. We have 2 kids an 11 year old an almost 4 year old (guess I should start looking at the schools too). Am so excited to finally know where we want to go.

Can I ask about you? Why did you choose there? What do you do? Do you have jobs lined up? Where are you moving from? Have you looked at schools etc.? Have you found accommodation for when you arrive?....so many questions, sorry

Hi I'm moving to Geraldton from Toronto, Canada. I will be arriving in October and start work at the hospital the end of October. I'm an OR nurse and have a 2 year contract, really looking forward to experiencing Australia, but am a bit nervous about Geraldton, only because it is small, although I didn't want to go to a large centre. Nice to know that there are other new arrivals as well, I won't feel so alone.

Hi I'm moving to Geraldton from Toronto, Canada. I will be arriving in October and start work at the hospital the end of October. I'm an OR nurse and have a 2 year contract, really looking forward to experiencing Australia, but am a bit nervous about Geraldton, only because it is small, although I didn't want to go to a large centre. Nice to know that there are other new arrivals as well, I won't feel so alone.

Hi, hopefully you won't be alone, Orla one of the other posters on here has her contract to sign this week and I'm still waiting (with everything crossed) for my telephone interview. It looks a great place, best of luck with everything.

Tracey

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey there, its good to hear from other people on their way to Gero! We will all end up working in the hospital at this rate lol! I have a job as a midwife there and hoping to be there early Dec..are you moving over alone or with family?

Guest orlaandjoe
I am also hoping to move out to Gero, went on a recce in July and loved it. Bit weird though with me in shorts and t shirt and everyone else in fleeces:wink:

Hi! Its really good to hear from people who have been there and loved it!Is it as fab as its supposed to be?When are you hoping to make the move for good?That will be me in shorts and tshirts all the time..after the chilly irish weather I'm sure any increase in temperature will have me stripping off the layers!:smile:

Archived