Guest jtrd

Guest orlaandjoe
A month will be very handy.. It will give ye an idea of the place first so ye know where ye want to go. We had only 2 weeks accom on arrival so had to move pretty quick. It was hard enough to find somewhere nice in good location. we got kinda lucky in the end. But just keep searching online or even get in contact with real estates week before you leave to put your name down for viewings. Our lease is up for renewal and Ive been looking at other options, there seems to be a good few rentals out there. Our house is a little old but in brilliant location so I'm just gonna have to get over it.. :smile:

I'm nervous about finding somewhere nice that doesn't cost a fortune, but the month will defo be so helpful! My partner won't be working for the first few weeks so hopefully he can suss out somewhere that suits.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joannehancock

Hi there we have been in geraldton now for 2 and a bit weeks. we came from england.we love it here a quiet small town, got everything you need shopping centres etc. It is right by the sea, lots of beach stuff to do, surfing snorkleing 4 wheel driving, quading etc, if you like that kind of thing you will love it. Not much night life every where shuts quite early, but depends what you want from your life, for kids it is brilliant but for single guys may be a bit quiet ?

I'm nervous about finding somewhere nice that doesn't cost a fortune, but the month will defo be so helpful! My partner won't be working for the first few weeks so hopefully he can suss out somewhere that suits.

I think you'll be fine once you have that few weeks to sort it, as I said keep an eye on the rental agencies now... Alot of nice houses for approx $350/wk.

Agree with Joanne re the nightlife, however sunday evening beers in the sun is quite nice!! Home early and fresh for work monday :laugh:

There are plenty more activities that'll make up for it, and a trip to Kalbarri every now and again is worth it!!

Guest orlaandjoe
Hi there we have been in geraldton now for 2 and a bit weeks. we came from england.we love it here a quiet small town, got everything you need shopping centres etc. It is right by the sea, lots of beach stuff to do, surfing snorkleing 4 wheel driving, quading etc, if you like that kind of thing you will love it. Not much night life every where shuts quite early, but depends what you want from your life, for kids it is brilliant but for single guys may be a bit quiet ?

Sounds exactly what we are looking for!:smile: Glad you all are settling in, we just can't wait to get there!:jiggy:

Guest orlaandjoe
I think you'll be fine once you have that few weeks to sort it, as I said keep an eye on the rental agencies now... Alot of nice houses for approx $350/wk.

Agree with Joanne re the nightlife, however sunday evening beers in the sun is quite nice!! Home early and fresh for work monday :laugh:

There are plenty more activities that'll make up for it, and a trip to Kalbarri every now and again is worth it!!

Just googled Kalbarri!!!!:yes::smile::jiggy::v_SPIN::spinny:

Just googled Kalbarri!!!!:yes::smile::jiggy::v_SPIN::spinny:

Ha ha I love Kalbarri... You should check out there visitor centre, its got all the tours you can do there. We went quading on this semi private beach, got to see hump back whales breaching not far out in the sea. Cant wait to get back there! Only 2 hour drive. :yes:

Guest Jachoaim

Hi, I've been living here for 16 years. The best primary school/kindy is without a doubt St. Francis Xavier PS. However that is a private school, try Mount Tarcoola or Geraldton Primary school for Public schools. A great place to bring up kids.The better suburbs are Strathalbyn, Wandina, Bluff Point(beach side), Seacrest. Woorree is a great rural suburb which is just 10-15 minutes inland. Regarding the weather, Summer averages 31 degrees on the coast, warmer inland. About 8 days a year above 40 degrees, though there is always a seabreeze which arrives 12pm-1pm, cooling the temperature down. Aircon is vital.

Guest orlaandjoe
Hi, I've been living here for 16 years. The best primary school/kindy is without a doubt St. Francis Xavier PS. However that is a private school, try Mount Tarcoola or Geraldton Primary school for Public schools. A great place to bring up kids.The better suburbs are Strathalbyn, Wandina, Bluff Point(beach side), Seacrest. Woorree is a great rural suburb which is just 10-15 minutes inland. Regarding the weather, Summer averages 31 degrees on the coast, warmer inland. About 8 days a year above 40 degrees, though there is always a seabreeze which arrives 12pm-1pm, cooling the temperature down. Aircon is vital.

Thank you for the info it's great to read such a lovely description of Geraldton, makes me even more excited to get there! We are looking at Bluff Point Primary and Allendale Primary for our son, they both look great too! Hopefully arriving mid January!:smile:

Guest orlaandjoe
Ha ha I love Kalbarri... You should check out there visitor centre, its got all the tours you can do there. We went quading on this semi private beach, got to see hump back whales breaching not far out in the sea. Cant wait to get back there! Only 2 hour drive. :yes:

Sounds unbelievable!I wanna be there now lol!:biglaugh:

Hey there!

Thanks so much for all the info it's great to know!Can't believe there's so many Irish living in geraldton thought there would be hardly any,that's great!what part of Ireland are you from? And what part of Geraldton are you living in?I just signed my contract with my Australian employer last week so hopefully the visa process goes quickly,so excited to get going!:)

Been a while since I have been on here!

Living out Tarcoola/Seacrest area. How is the visa process going?

As people have said, it is quiet and you won't exactly be at the forefront of culture and modernity - although some are trying to introduce cool stuff here, it can fall on it's arse as people aren't ready for/into it. But it is a good place to weather this current economic storm.

And don't forget the sunscreen. :)

As people have said, it is quiet and you won't exactly be at the forefront of culture and modernity - although some are trying to introduce cool stuff here, it can fall on it's arse as people aren't ready for/into it. But it is a good place to weather this current economic storm.

How you finding Geraldton, How long have you been here?? I've been here 7 months, really like, gets a bit lonely at times... Its a really nice place a little bit on the quite side!! :)

Guest joannehancock

hi orlanndjoe my charlie is in at Wraggrakine primary, a lovely school and in my opinion the best so take a look, it has just won an award, and seems a lovely place and charlie is loving it xxx

Guest orlaandjoe
hi orlanndjoe my charlie is in at Wraggrakine primary, a lovely school and in my opinion the best so take a look, it has just won an award, and seems a lovely place and charlie is loving it xxx

Thanks Joanne thats great Waggrakine was another school we are very interested in! What age is your son? My little boy is six x

Guest orlaandjoe

Oh I'll be packing it in bucket loads, can't wait for a bit of sunshine!:biggrin: Visa process is moving slowly but surely, employer have lodged nomination so just waiting for TRN to be issued and we can lodge our side of the application..just hope we can do this before Xmas so we can have a relatively stress free time :rolleyes: Tarcoola and Seacrest both look great, there seems to be loads of nice areas!

Guest joannehancock
Oh I'll be packing it in bucket loads, can't wait for a bit of sunshine!:biggrin: Visa process is moving slowly but surely, employer have lodged nomination so just waiting for TRN to be issued and we can lodge our side of the application..just hope we can do this before Xmas so we can have a relatively stress free time :rolleyes: Tarcoola and Seacrest both look great, there seems to be loads of nice areas!

we are at drummond cove a really nice area, a but futher out than tarcoola and seacrest both also lovely areas and the other end but very nice all new properties. The only areas to avoid are spalding, rangeway .

My personal opinion is the place is too remote, expensive with little to do. I would recomend Geraldton as Holiday base for places like Karlbarrri, also check out the Foreshore, but not to live as there is not much here, with little if any nightlife and no decent resturants for example the 'Freemasons Hotel' the main bar in Geraldton closes at 10:30pm and in the evenings the place resembles a ghost town. If your heading to the beach stay north of the lighthouse due to the wind, water sports and fishing seem to be the only past times. However if you like it quiet then this is the place for you!

My personal opinion is the place is too remote, expensive with little to do. I would recomend Geraldton as Holiday base for places like Karlbarrri, also check out the Foreshore, but not to live as there is not much here, with little if any nightlife and no decent resturants for example the 'Freemasons Hotel' the main bar in Geraldton closes at 10:30pm and in the evenings the place resembles a ghost town. If your heading to the beach stay north of the lighthouse due to the wind, water sports and fishing seem to be the only past times. However if you like it quiet then this is the place for you!

Highly disagree.... It's what u make of it, quite yes, but there's plenty more to do.. The pubs open late at weekends..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jachoaim

Agree with the post above.

Starting to heat up now.. 2 days of over 40 degrees with today begin 41.1. Still 27 degrees at nearly midnight........

What time are they open to at weekends just so as I know?

Latitude 28 is very nice, also the Indian restaurant. Perth is the place to be. As I said about my post, it's just my own views on the place.

Ask yourself why Utakarra, Karloo & Wooree............also Rangeway & Spalding, why are you to keep away from these area's?

I would love for your comments to this emfitz.

I see your from Ireland, my wifes family are from Ireland, Dublin, so where are you from then?

Guest Jachoaim

Latitude 28 is very nice, also the Indian restaurant. Perth is the place to be. As I said about my post, it's just my own views on the place.

Ask yourself why Utakarra, Karloo & Wooree............also Rangeway & Spalding, why are you to keep away from these area's?

I see your from Ireland, my wifes family are from Ireland, Dublin, so where are you from then?

The only problem in those areas in terms of safety is house robberies. Though i do agree it isn't a present place to bring up kids. Also, Woorree has zero aboriginal residents and i have no idea why you've mentioned it as being unsafe. Safest suburb in Geraldton.

I'm from Tipperary.

I was told keep away from them areas by people who live here. It was just a list given to me when we were house hunting. Quite helpful as most of them look a bit rough. I didn't know the area so it was handy to get some info from other people who have been here quite a while...

Láttitude is lovely, a little overpriced and I've heard all good things about the Indian. Skeetas is also very nice for a meal. On saturday night bars open to 1am as far as I know... The Camel Bar, Breakers, Freemasons, Láttitude are late at weekends. For hardcore people theres also a few nightclubs, however I havent been near any of them.

@ Jachoaim: The only reason I say Wooree is like above it was metioned to me when house hunting to stay away from the area.

Thanks for the reply emfits.

I know that a friend of ours, his daughter & her boyfriend went to both nightclubs here in Gero, and they was pestered by a lot of indigenous males who would not take 'No' for an answer, so left to go to the other nightclub, to which they was starred at, they felt uncomfortable, so left. This is just their experience of a night out, and I would like to hear of anyone elses experiences of the nightclubs?

The pubs are ok so far, not experienced the 'bingo or karaoke nights' at Freemasons (lol) has anyone on here been?

We are in Sunset beach area, which is great for the iga, and the beach.

We was also told by the locals about certain areas too. Although, when we was house hunting I noticed the prices went up on rentals in certain areas too. Our friends went to secure this house they saw in Glenfeild/Drummond Cove, it was $430pw, but when they went to sign, the manager of KS said 'No, that property is $450pw.

Has anyone else had this experience with letting agents here in Gero? Or is it just a particular one agent 'KS', that is ripping us poms off?

Also, 'KS' house inspections? Has anyone had problems? We had 'KS' come around taking photos. Is this legal as this is an invasion on my son & daughters privacy. Why take photos of there stuff? None was taken of our bedroom, so why theirs? Our stuff is still in UK, we have very minimal stuff, we was told 'No pictures to be put up! And she told us on her inspection that we can put pictures up. Has anyone had any problems?

Archived