457 entitlements?! Car? Medical care?

young2682

Hi everyone,

We arrived in Melbourne yesterday!

We have car hire till next week but it's quite expensive and we need to think about buying a car. Are we able to get finance? We have around a $400 deposit?

Is anyone else in this situation?

Also, are we entitled to any medical care at all on a 457 visa?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alex :jiggy:

Because you are from the UK you are entitled to Medicare through a reciprical agreement. Just go into a Medicare office with you visa and passport. I understand you should consider insurance to cover ambulance fees but others will know more. Good luck.

Agreed with the others about the ambulance cover - specially if your children are going to nurseries. It only cost $75 /year for a family cover.

For the car purchase, you should check with your employer if you can get a novated lease - that's an easy way to finance a car (and it has tax advantages).

Hi, like everyone else has said you will be covered under the reciprical agreement see http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/index.jsp.

Withreagrds to finance for a car that a tricky one. Fiance companies are very touch and go about lending to people on temp visa's and when I was on a 457 visa I had no luck. I was however, able to apply for a credit card through my ANZ bank after being here for several months and I paid for my first car that way! I was advised by the bank it often works out cheaper than a loan anyway if you pay it back within 6-12 months. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark and Katie Singleton

Hi arrived in NSW a few weeks ago on a 457 and secured finance on a 5 year old car with no deposit and no problems through a Ford dealership.