Poll: What is your favourite Sydney beach? Be Objective!

MARYROSE02

Dolls point is just past sans souci, we have moved to Mona vale who's beach is a gem not many people on here and only a 2 min walk from front door, my company have just started a big job a palm beach so watching the sun come up in the morning is pretty amazing,certainly beats freezing to death back in the uk

Living at Mona Vale, working at Palm Beach! You may never see Sydney again!

We went to the sand dunes just past Cronulla! Water was crystal clear and it was perfect for us to use our jet ski's cause it isn't a very busy beach. The only downfall is that you need a yute to drive to the coast as a normal car will get stuck in the dunes! PERFECT for a big family and friend all day picnic at the beach!

The surf club at Bondi has a great view though. Iceburgs I think it is called.

Icebergs isn't the surf club, it is a brilliant place to go though with fantastic views straight across the beach from the bar. We went to Sydney for my wife's 50th and she couldn't believe that we could sign in to get in a fabulous place like that, as we were from interstate so didn't need membership.

I wanted to go for a swim so got the wife and youngster a nice table and a bottle of wine on the balcony while I went. They were liking it so much that we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon there over a few cheap drinks and nice food. It was when the sculpture by the sea was on too so heaps of people around.

The surf clubs along bondi are good mind you.

My favourite Sydney beach is Manly though. Always on public transport when I'm over on work trips as it's not worth getting the car out. The trip over to Manly on the ferry is very pleasant and then only a short walk to the beach. Some good pubs in Manly too for a few cold ones.

• 3 months later...

I just love Bronte. I love the way the sea looks from the hill as you come down into it on the bus. I love how there's the surfy part, the calmer rock pool, and the lido. Then that little row of Cafes over looking the sea is such a perfect end to an afternoon on the beach. I've bee in several of them and they all seem to be brilliant.

However - I haven't visited that many of them, so I can only go on what I know so far, but I went for a second time of my second visit to Oz this year, and I still love it just as much.

Warriewood or Bilgola. Palmy, Avalon and Mona Vale shortly thereafter

I don't like busy beaches much! All those in the Eastern Suburbs get too busy for me, likewise lots of the harbour beaches

Least favourite = Dee Why. Too narrow, too busy, too windswept, crap traffic, expensive parking. Can't fathom why so many go there, but no worries, all the more space in better places elsewhere :)

We went to the sand dunes just past Cronulla! Water was crystal clear and it was perfect for us to use our jet ski's cause it isn't a very busy beach. The only downfall is that you need a yute to drive to the coast as a normal car will get stuck in the dunes! PERFECT for a big family and friend all day picnic at the beach!

I've not actually been to that bit of the beach. I just looked at the map - off Capt Cook Drive, on the way to Kurnell? I can't remember if I've ever actually swam (or is it 'swum? Doesn't look right?) at Kurnell. I've walked along the beach there, but never gone to the right of Capt Cook Drive.

Icebergs isn't the surf club, it is a brilliant place to go though with fantastic views straight across the beach from the bar. We went to Sydney for my wife's 50th and she couldn't believe that we could sign in to get in a fabulous place like that, as we were from interstate so didn't need membership.

I wanted to go for a swim so got the wife and youngster a nice table and a bottle of wine on the balcony while I went. They were liking it so much that we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon there over a few cheap drinks and nice food. It was when the sculpture by the sea was on too so heaps of people around.

The surf clubs along bondi are good mind you.

My favourite Sydney beach is Manly though. Always on public transport when I'm over on work trips as it's not worth getting the car out. The trip over to Manly on the ferry is very pleasant and then only a short walk to the beach. Some good pubs in Manly too for a few cold ones.

I went to the Icebergs for the first time a couple of years back, just for a cup of coffee, I think. North Bondi RSL is in a pretty good location, and I go there occasionally because I can usually find a parking place somewhere up the road. I did think of joining it as the food seems OK and there's a great view over the beach. It's called 'The Rat House', after the 'Rats of Tobruk' who founded it.

Warriewood or Bilgola. Palmy, Avalon and Mona Vale shortly thereafter

I don't like busy beaches much! All those in the Eastern Suburbs get too busy for me, likewise lots of the harbour beaches

Least favourite = Dee Why. Too narrow, too busy, too windswept, crap traffic, expensive parking. Can't fathom why so many go there, but no worries, all the more space in better places elsewhere :)

I was just thinking yesterday, at Neilsen Park, 'this is the last day I will have to worry about crowds and parking places.' It was past six pm when I got there, so a few places had opened up. To be fair, once I'm on the beach, it's OK. I should probably go down at five, for an extra bit of sunshine. It's always a bit depressing when the sun drops behind the headland. I walk down to the eastern end to sit on the rocks, and get the last few rays. (It was galling to watch these kids scampering about like mountain goats, whilst I was practically on all fours.) It was actually still pleasant, even at 8pm as there was little wind.

I went down to Red Leaf one evening last year or the year before, when it was mega-hot, and it was too packed for me, like those pictures of Bournemouth or Brighton on a sunny bank holiday. It was one of the rare occasions when I had a quick swim and then went home. I did the same at Watsons Bay, come to think of it, a few weeks ago, regretted coming as soon as I got there, but I just went down to Neilsen Park.

There are two ways to Neilsen Park from New South Head Road, one the narrow, winding, street that starts at Kampala Convent & school, and the other further along New South Head Road, which is much steeper. I usually like to go down the former, and come back up the latter, but for the first time I just used the steep road both ways. When there's a bit of traffic, you have to keep pulling over because it's too narrow. (One of my few whinges about Aussies; they (almost) NEVER give you a wave for giving way! I'm so used to bus drivers sticking their hand out of the window, lorries flashing their lights, other drivers giving you a wave.

I don't like Dee Why for the parking, or lack of it. Is it all the units with not enough parking? (I've got this feeling I've already posted about Dee Why? I'm sure that somewhere I pondered whether it would be worth joining Dee Why RSL just for the parking?

I just love Bronte. I love the way the sea looks from the hill as you come down into it on the bus. I love how there's the surfy part, the calmer rock pool, and the lido. Then that little row of Cafes over looking the sea is such a perfect end to an afternoon on the beach. I've bee in several of them and they all seem to be brilliant.

However - I haven't visited that many of them, so I can only go on what I know so far, but I went for a second time of my second visit to Oz this year, and I still love it just as much.

Working my way through all the posts with 'time on my hands' now I'm a full time bludger again. You have described Bronte exactly as I think of it. I usually park up Macpherson St where it's free all day. I went down a couple of weeks ago with two friends of mine. We met in Paddo first to look at a display of Rolling Stones photos at Blender Gallery in Elizabeth St, very good too. I packed a second towel and trunks just in case my friend wanted to swim. We walked down on those steep roads with the glimpses of the beach and swam in the rock pool. (I'm scared of the surf!) I think the 'proper' pool was closed that day, but I noticed people swimming below the pool, somewhere I'd not dare to go. I prefer the rock pool to the actual pool though. Then we went up to one of the cafes for coffee and alamb burger. 'G'day Bronte?'

Bronte and Clovelly are about the same distance from my place, so driving up that road past Centennial Park, it's just a matter or which way I want to go - turn right or straight on. Some weeks, I just want to go to the same beach day after day. Then I change and want to go to a different one almost every day. Neilsen Park yesterday, Clovelly on Friday, Malabar the day before.

'Time On My Hands.' I knew it was a song by Al Bowlly. He was killed in The Blitz in 1941.

I had to Google it, though I did guess at The Central Coast. Could you live there (and commute to Sydney?) I had the idea it would be great to live there if you did not have to commute to Sydney to work?

I went to Parsley Bay for a swim this evening, drove from my brother's place in Picnic Point in about fifty minutes, and forty kilometres, mostly via M5, Eastern Distributor to William St. That is probably OK for kids off the grassy beach. Neilsen Park and Clovelly are my current favourites.

Just back from whale beach this afternoon so many to chose from along the northern beaches all gems

I have been there, but I'm not sure if I've ever had a swim there. I will probably have a drive up to Palm Beach, and pick somewhere for a swim. Surry Hills to Palm Beach? Fifty kilometres?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived