Poll: What is your favourite Sydney beach? Be Objective!

MARYROSE02

I've been thinking about this all arvo, first whilst hanging my washing out (taking my mind of the faux pas of mixing coloureds with whites -WHY does that matter?), and then taking a shower (a PROPER one, not a 'Pommie' one!)

There's no point in saying 'Avalon', 'Bondi' or 'Cronulla' when you live over the road from the beach and don't have to worry about parking. PAYING to park too!

Why would anyone want to undergo an hour or more in Sydney's traffic or public transport system when it's 40 degrees?

The only time I got burnt last summer was when i put a short sleeve shirt on, forgot to take my sunscreen, and by the time I'd driven from Artarmon to Curl Curl at noon on a mega hot day, my right arm was 'gone'.

I've swam on over a hundred days at Neilsen Park this year - free parking, natural shade, safe swimming but I don't think I'd go if I had to use the bus. (I'm enough of an anorak to record all my swims in my diary - sad I know.)

After all, they all have 'sand' and 'water' but what makes them stand out?!

• 2 years later...

Two years....wow, hard to believe no one has chipped in with their two cents......ok, I will...

-Best hanging out, people watching beach, in the best suburb: Manly

-Honourable mention: Bondi; Balmoral

-Best family beach: Terrigal

-Honourable mention: Bilgola

-Best surfing: Too many to say....partial to Curl Curl, Narrabeen, Avoca, Cronulla, etc., etc.....

My 2 favourites as a tourist were manly and palm beach.

Manly just a nice area and a great beach. Palm beach because it is home and away! and a fantastic suburb albeit quite far out

I like Narabeen beach, because it is beautiful but generally pretty quiet. I don't like beaches with lots of people on them, so that rules out Bondi / Manly for me. I like those places for the "action" i.e. to look around the shops, have lunch etc but not for the beach. Actually I have only been through Bondi and not stopped, I must actually look around one day.

I like Narabeen beach, because it is beautiful but generally pretty quiet. I don't like beaches with lots of people on them, so that rules out Bondi / Manly for me. I like those places for the "action" i.e. to look around the shops, have lunch etc but not for the beach. Actually I have only been through Bondi and not stopped, I must actually look around one day.

The surf club at Bondi has a great view though. Iceburgs I think it is called.

Guest littlesarah

I don't visit Sydney to go to the beach - no need because I have lots of lovely beaches, all with free parking, right on my doorstep! Not to mention the lakes, for a change.

Nice to see Narrabeen getting a few 'likes!' I have a soft spot for Narrabeen because my parents came over in 1981 and bought a townhouse at Rosella Gardens on Pittwater Road opposite the old Royal Antler Hotel (RIP.) We lived there as a family for the last time up until 1983, Mum and Dad in the back back bedroom and Neil, Michael, and me in the big front bedroom. Superb location really, with the beach 100 metres one way and the lake even closer the other way.

I lived there again in 1986/87 but it wasn't a good time for me, living there on my own, and I could not cope with the commute to the city. I still feel very nostalgic about Narrabeen and usually try to go up there a couple of times a year. I'm scared of the surf now though. I never used to be like that, quite happy to swim beyond the waves breaking. Now all I can do is have a swim in the pools at North Narrabeen or Collaroy.

I wonder what it would be like to camp at North Narrabeen? Has anybody ever it? If I had the money, I'd buy a weekender at Narrabeen and keep my place here in the City.

Palm Beach is great but it seems such a long way, as far from Narrabeen as Narrabeen is from the City? When I do go up to Narrabeen, I usually carry on up to Palm Beach. sometimes have a swim in the pool there.

Now, living in Surry Hills, along with my surf-phobia, I swim at the harbour beaches - Red Leaf (not calling it Murray Rose), Nielsen Park, Parsley Bay & Watsons Bay, and Clovelly or Bronte for the ocean.

I don't visit Sydney to go to the beach - no need because I have lots of lovely beaches, all with free parking, right on my doorstep! Not to mention the lakes, for a change.

Where do you live? Free parking is a bonus! Clovelly is free and I'm happy to park up the road from the beach at Bronte to get free parking.

My favourite is probably Warriewood, because it's understated, there's surf for body surfing, I like the orange sand of the northern beaches, I like the little, basic cafe, it never seems to be too busy when I've been there, and the stretch of sand is reasonably big. Also last year the Turimetta to Wariewood ocean swim race was the one I enjoyed the most. The one drawback is that it doesn't have a rock pool.

The beach I go to the most is Coogee as it's only a 13 minute drive from me (I always go early when there's little traffic and easy parking and I won't get sun burn), and I love Wylies baths at Coogee more than any other ocean pool I've ever swam in!

I like Gordon's Bay best for snorkleing.

No shark net at Gordons Bay! I used to get the bus to Coogee after work, then walk to Clovelly via Gordons Bay, and get a 339 I think back to Surry Hills, corner of Foveaux & Crown St. In the rush hour the bus would take ages to get up Cleveland St, but once into Anzac Pde, it was a breeze. When Doug Mulray was on 2MMM, he always used to say 'Warriewood' as in 'Hooray for Hollywood!'

You and shark nets! I've never felt anxious around Gordon's Bay, or as a swimmer in Sydney. I don't think it's that unusual for there to be sharks hanging around not too far out that the SLS are well aware of, but they rarely feel the need to cancel an ocean swim or close the beach. (Or so they tell me). Not sure whether you find this reassuring or not! Heh!

• 2 weeks later...
Is it mostly men who frequent Lady Jane or are there lots of women too? Does it get busy?

I went down there with a lady friend, and I said 'why we just go to Redleaf, as it's only 5 1/2 K from Surry Hills' but she said she wanted to go Lady Jane. I actually just planned to walk with her as far as the steps and then walk back for a swim at Watsons Bay, but in the end I went down to the beach with her. She did not disrobe, but I thought, 'why muck about with my towel, pants, trunks' as I'm here?' I probably won't go there again, as it's too much of a hassle. I'd rather just park by Watsons Bay baths and swim there. There are more men than women but it seems OK there.

Northern beaches... Manly can catch ferry too , Palm bit far ..... deewhy can bus there

I drove down to Manly on Tuesday night, about 2130, felt quite nostalgic once I'd gone through Neutral Bay as we used to drive down there thirty years ago, and we spent Xmas Day, 1979 at Palm Beach. My favourite Northern Beaches beach is Narrabeen because I lived there, but it's quite a long drive from Surry Hills, or train/bus.

You Guys are making me feel homesick lol

Never really "loved" Bondi............all the beautiful people etc etc

Watsons Bay/Gordons Bay/Dolls Point/Tamarama and Balmoral.............I loved

Palm Beach...........beautiful but too far away for me

Went to Port Stephens/Macquarie............loved it.............Central coast............loved it................oh dear............a theme going on here I fear..............sorry

Dolls point is just past sans souci, we have moved to Mona vale who's beach is a gem not many people on here and only a 2 min walk from front door, my company have just started a big job a palm beach so watching the sun come up in the morning is pretty amazing,certainly beats freezing to death back in the uk