How to get on in Australia? My tips.

MARYROSE02

Don't forget your family and friends in UK but DO forget everything else.

Don't keep comparing prices/quality of Aussie things unfavourably with UK.

Don't listen to people who HATE Australia. There's no point. If PIO was a site for people giving up smoking, they are the sort of people who can't give up themselves and can't stand the thought of anyone else doing it! Remember, people who hate Australia are not interested in facts - they spoil a good story.

Give Australia two years. The Aussie Govt made the 'Ten Pound Poms' stay two years or pay their fare back. Some did go back permanently but most stayed and half of those who did go back returned to Australia. The thrend continues to the present day

Once you have done the two years, congratulate yourself. Tell yourself you are an Aussie. In fact you could do that from the day you arrive.

Be positive not negative or, to put it another way, be and Aussie not a Pom! (and I am both!)

Guest Hatton

Some like it some don't, that's a fact , you are not a bad person if you go back to the UK, you are not a bad person if you stay in Oz, suck it and see as they say.

Some like it some don't, that's a fact , you are not a bad person if you go back to the UK, you are not a bad person if you stay in Oz, suck it and see as they say.

No one said about someone being good or for that matter being bad. All that the OP said is since we are making the move taking in so much pains, it would probably be worth the effort if one can be positive and upbeat about the whole thing instead of being reluctant from day one and carrying a pessimistic bent of mind.

In other words, the chances of our attitude making a difference are far higher than the person next to us feeling good/bad about it, that is.

armandra!

Guest Bazinga

I've told my (Aussie) husband I will do 2 years and then we will see but I am hoping that I love living there (loved our 2 month hol earlier this yr) and want to stay.

I am worried about my 6yr old hating it though

I've told my (Aussie) husband I will do 2 years and then we will see but I am hoping that I love living there (loved our 2 month hol earlier this yr) and want to stay.

I am worried about my 6yr old hating it though

Guess you can't do much about it then, can you? Give it your best and forget the rest as they say!:wink:

armandra!

I do wish we had stayed two years, but even if we had - it wouldn't have made a difference. My wife needed to come back to the uk to appreciate Australia better.

We're stuck in the UK for now. But you never know. One day maybe.

Hang in there - I was your wife 10 years ago dragging my English hubby kicking and screaming back to the UK now I am so incredibly impatient for his visa to come through I can barely stand the waiting before we can go back!

It's nice to get all those thank you's! Thank you! I will have to write more often after a couple of schooners of VB.

I was thinking about the trepidation I felt before I first came out here in 1978. That was courtesy of the uncouth blokes I worked with who told me that Australia was an awful place populated by barbarians who hated Pommies above all else. Naive of me to believe it of course but they were partiuclarly unpleasant to me anyway. Perhaps too, the Aussies themselves like to play up on it - Dennis Lillee & Jeff Thompson for instance.

Funny really, the first Aussies I came into contact with were almost stereotypes from The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie!! 'Did I like drinking beer? Yes, good, 'Wat-ch-under!' Cricket? yes, good, Rugby League? No! Why not? Do you prefer a Commodore or a Falcon?

I''ve never been called a 'whinging Pom' or a 'Pommie Bastard' to this day.

If you get any abuse for being a Pom just remind them nicely who won The Ashes. It soon shuts the Aussies up and shows you can give as good as you get and still be nice. I was getting a bit of stick in a job interview and as soon as I mentioned it, I could see their faces change and then I knew I got the job!

Don't listen to people who HATE Australia. There's no point. If PIO was a site for people giving up smoking, they are the sort of people who can't give up themselves and can't stand the thought of anyone else doing it! Remember, people who hate Australia are not interested in facts - they spoil a good story.

Give Australia two years. The Aussie Govt made the 'Ten Pound Poms' stay two years or pay their fare back. Some did go back permanently but most stayed and half of those who did go back returned to Australia. The thrend continues to the present day

Once you have done the two years, congratulate yourself. Tell yourself you are an Aussie. In fact you could do that from the day you arrive.

Be positive not negative or, to put it another way, be and Aussie not a Pom! (and I am both!)

I totally agree.

I have absolutely nothing against people who don't like it here but they usually make pathetic generalisations such as 'the fruit is crap in Australia' 'all australian men are arseholes' I can spot them a mile off and usually steer well clear.

If you get any abuse for being a Pom just remind them nicely who won The Ashes. It soon shuts the Aussies up and shows you can give as good as you get and still be nice. I was getting a bit of stick in a job interview and as soon as I mentioned it, I could see their faces change and then I knew I got the job!

I get on well with them where the cricket is concerned. It's a sort of 'lingua franca' if that is the right term? Turn all those gybes - Gibes? - back round now WE are 'Kings of the World!'

First thing I did in Sydney was go down to the State Library to look up the records for the 74/75 series

Remember too a very pleasant day on the old Hill at the SCG circa 81 sitting with an Aussie guy as I drank about 6 cans and he drank a case.

Once, at work, after England won a test I brought my Union Flag into the office. Second test, Aussies won and they brought the Aussie flag in but I trumped them by displaying my Aussie passport.

I totally agree.

I have absolutely nothing against people who don't like it here but they usually make pathetic generalisations such as 'the fruit is crap in Australia' 'all australian men are arseholes' I can spot them a mile off and usually steer well clear.

Yes, I imagine them in various 'Aussie' situations

the pub - 'What a God-awful place, no real ale, no dart board, no shove halfpenny, no atmosphere.'

the supermarket - 'Who designed this layout, dearer than Asda, crappier than Tesco.'

The department store - 'David Jones? not a patch on M & S, Myer? 2nd class Debenhams and I do MISS my Primark on Oxford St.

Of course it might all be true but it's all irrelevant to life here so forget it!

Exactly! Those little things are soooo worth the best place on earth. I've lived in Aus for two months and found all of it wonderful, I LOVED the supermarkets!

Here are five really awesome things about Australia;

1) You always have an excuse for ice cream.

2) The food! There may not be so much pie and chips, but being so close to Asia means cheap sushi, noodles, and bubble tea!

3) The wildlife! I love English wildlife but let's face it, it's elusive and trudging about in the rain to find it is no fun. In Aus we were sat by a lake reading the paper and eating Bread Top and a huge water dragon came and pestered us for food!

4) The people; not one Aus was nasty to me over there or gave me a mean look, whereas in England people are far grumpier.

5) The lack of LITTER! They actually care about their country!

I just wonder why the need to call yourself an Aussie? Can't a person still be an Englishman or a German, South African or Malaysian and still be perfectly happy in Australia?

I know so many Australians living in London, some for many years who will usually always wanted to be thought of us Aussie and wouldn't dream of calling themselves a Pom. The best thing is nobody would expect any different from them.

Yet we all get on making jokes at each others sporting abilities and countries in general.

Important to get all views I would have thought to enable a fuller decision made on consideration to both sides of the coin.

For people making such a life changing decision it should be welcomed to read a critique as well as the positives of the place your uprooting your family to.

Equally applicable to non-Pommies coming from all corners of the Earth as well.:smile:

I just wonder why the need to call yourself an Aussie? Can't a person still be an Englishman or a German, South African or Malaysian and still be perfectly happy in Australia?

I know so many Australians living in London, some for many years who will usually always wanted to be thought of us Aussie and wouldn't dream of calling themselves a Pom. The best thing is nobody would expect any different from them.

Yet we all get on making jokes at each others sporting abilities and countries in general.

Important to get all views I would have thought to enable a fuller decision made on consideration to both sides of the coin.

For people making such a life changing decision it should be welcomed to read a critique as well as the positives of the place your uprooting your family to.

'Calling yourself an Aussie' is just another way of being positive about living here.

Continuing with my 'giving up smoking' theme. When someone asks if you smoke' don't say 'I've given up', say 'I don't smoke.' You are looking forward not back???

There's nothing wrong with negative views about Australia either provided that they are factual.

For eg. saying that commuting in Sydney is awful in the rush hour - well nobody, least of all Sydneysiders would argue with that.

But saying something like 'Sydney is an awful place to live, with no decent restaurants, pubs, theatres,' well, that is just an opinion. It's also going to irritate people who live here and like it and also worry people who are planning to come here.

Guest NeilEB

For eg. saying that commuting in Sydney is awful in the rush hour - well nobody, least of all Sydneysiders would argue with that.

Just retort with - "at least we don't have the M25......"

Seriously, that one little phrase ends all arguments about commuting / traffic problems.

Just retort with - "at least we don't have the M25......"

Seriously, that one little phrase ends all arguments about commuting / traffic problems.

Some people actually miss the M25 don't they? Being a Hampshire yokel I just miss the M271, two miles of concrete bliss linking the M27 and Redbridge Roundabout.

My dad used to joke about a Geordie who got lost on the M25 and just kept going around and around. Eventually stopped somewhere to ask a copper who turned out to be a Geordie too and he thought he had made it home to Newcastle!

Guest NeilEB
Some people actually miss the M25 don't they?

How can anyone miss the M25?

It's like missing the M11 - they just exist to make you miserable stuck in traffic all day.

Great thread mary!

Thanks. I was just thinking tonight that it might be a good idea to listen to Aussie radio on line and do the same with the Aussie papers. In Sydney's case it would be 2GB or 2UE which are both talkback stations and the Sydney Morning Herald www.smh.com.au. I'm listening to JJJ at the moment - the ABC's rock FM station - you can listen to that on line too - get plenty of Aussie music.

JJJ broadcasts around the nation but WA (in your case?) has its own stations and papers.

It's a way of immersing yourself into what Aussies are interested in. Weekends you get more lifestyle related stuff - gardening, health, homes. Once you start getting into Aussie news, politics, current affairs, etc the UK stuff loses its importance

Mind you, hypocrite that I am, I scan the Daily Mail on line every day.

There's something wrong with the sound on my computer and I cannot listen to the one thing I DO miss about the UK - The Archers!

Its good to find out what can help you settle in. and its good to see you havent been called a whingeing pom or worse! there was a facebook page about the riots, it was called " in london they call it a riot, in oz we call it a house party" and there was a lot of abuse from the australians towards the uk, I know that it was probably just a bunch of young people being silly and the the uk members were giving it just as bad but it started to get me worried. some of the comments were we hate you, go back to your own country etc

would you say in general the aussies liked the brits? I know theres going to be people who dont, thats obvious but from what i can gather on here the aussies are very friendly towards expats

Some people actually miss the M25 don't they? Being a Hampshire yokel I just miss the M271, two miles of concrete bliss linking the M27 and Redbridge Roundabout.

I remember spending hours trying to get onto the M271 from the M27 to go to work in Millbrook. Some days it would take me an hour+ to drive from Salisbury to work and that was the 80s. One thing I don't miss about life in the UK

Archived