Someone nicked one of the plants off my balcony last night.

MARYROSE02

Look, I'm still hurting and you are all treating my situation with undue levity! I just opened my blinds again and all the pain and anguish has come back.

I am going to leave that half-empty pot with all the dirt around it as a shrine.

I feel like "Jack" without his "Beanstalk."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest31881
Look, I'm still hurting and you are all treating my situation with undue levity! I just opened my blinds again and all the pain and anguish has come back.

I am going to leave that half-empty pot with all the dirt around it as a shrine.

I feel like "Jack" without his "Beanstalk."

Now what sort of plant was it, I have plenty of Geranium cuttings I could send you to replace it :wink:

I've got a huge Geranium in my back courtyard which I think I planted before going back to the UK for 12 years. They are my kind of plant - just break a bit off and re-plant it?

I'm a useless gardener so I was really pleased to see this plant snaking along the balcony and I was (hopefully) looking forward to seeing it bloom.

Thanks for your empathy.

PS I know I joke too much sometimes and I can usually see the funny side of things but I am also angry every time I look out on my balcony now.

I bought those three plants last year at a nursery in Terrey Hills off Mona Vale Road. I'd have to drive 30K to go back to the same place. Then I had to buy pots and mix and replant them. I nurtured them all year just for some drunken/druggie ****wit to rip it out for a laugh. Probably the same dickheads who leave empty grog bottles all over Surry Hills. 'How cool are we? Awesome dude!' No you're not, **** off back to the 'burbs where you belong!

Rant over! I'm going to the beach - Seven Shillings - I love that name - for a swim in Redleaf Pool, always cheers me up (so long as there are not too many dickheads on New South Head Road.

Guest guest37336

That reminds me. I used to work with the Red Cross, only under cover, I was given the honour of smuggling the homeless out of Cornwall and sneaking them over the border to Devon, it's what they wanted after all, don't know why,:unsure:

I was dropped behind enemy lines, (just behind Rick Steins restaurant in Padstow). I then had to round up the poor unfortunates, (even though they had been offered a Wimpy home with all the mod cons).

As I approached the border we were met with a barrage of Cornish Pasties that unfortunately left some of my comrades with 'egg' on their faces,:biglaugh:, but through diligence, honour and courage we made it.

Unfortunately once in Cornwall the clotted cream and scones were to much to bear and my homeless troop soon reverted back to the streets, some people, pfffttttttttt.:no:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Hatton
Sorry but you live in a world of your own, every day "Shelter" fight to try and find homes for homeless families and individuals,

You claim to have worked with the Red Cross, if you had you would know that there are families who have lost their home because either repossessed by banks or landlord threw them out. The councils will not re-home as they class them as self homeless and pass them on to others to try and home,

There are families living in B&B accommodation as an emergency measure, this emergency measure can last for months. They have to leave the accommodation in the morning and walk the streets until evening when they are allowed back in. If you had genuinely worked with the Homeless you would not use such stereotypical comments as. "No one needs to be homeless". Your comments are what I would expect from someone who has no experiance of the homeless situatioon, just reads about it and claims to have the answers.

I do not live in a world of my own :mad: you are classed as homeless if you are living in temporary or emergency accommodation, and yes and did work with the red cross on the streets handing out soup and sandwiches in my teens I also worked with the charity "crisis" have you ever done any charity work SRP? It is easy to google "homelessness" and bet complete garbage about the situation, yes there are 1000s on the streets and if they suddenly want temporary accommodation that night it might be hard to find, but if someone does not want to be out on the streets they will 100% eventually be provided with shelter, not nice shelter but shelter all the same.

So many people do not want accommodation and prefer to live on the streets on their own or in groups, there are a lot with mental problems that we tried to get accommodation for and help but they refused, the fantastic people who do this work know everyone of them by name and watch out for them if they need any medical dental or any other provision.

Guest Guest31881
It is easy to google "homelessness" and bet complete garbage about the situation,

Yes it is, as you well know....

Oh and yes i have done a little charity work. But i do not find the need to try and boast about it and score points. There is no point in talking about this. i think we can all draw our conclusions on this matter.... So I will not bother you again. :wacko:

Guest Guest31881
I've got a huge Geranium in my back courtyard which I think I planted before going back to the UK for 12 years. They are my kind of plant - just break a bit off and re-plant it?

I'm a useless gardener so I was really pleased to see this plant snaking along the balcony and I was (hopefully) looking forward to seeing it bloom.

Thanks for your empathy.

I can tell a geranium, a rose and a couple of others, We get people coming into the museum and asking what sort of plant is that or what sort of tree is up the corner, my normal reply is, "green" that's about as far as my knowledge goes, But i agree, a spare bit of land, break off some geranium and plant it, :wink:

Guest guest37336
Why would anyone choose to be on the streets!?

Hi Stacey.

A valid question, and I admit it would seem at first to seem like a completely irrational 'need', that to most people seems strange and somewhat weird.

I can only talk of my own experiences. Having been homeless for several months at one time. I won't bore you with the details, but I had lost everything that was dear to me, and in my mind at the time all I wanted was to be alone.

I had neither the means or mindset at that time to find myself accommodation so did in the long run 'choose' to make myself homeless,:goofy:. I met many others who were in this position, many were fed up with the 'system' and what it had done to them.

Some just wanted to be lefty alone, whilst others I admit wanted to be found a home. But my own experience was that around 60% wanted to be on the streets for many different reasons.

They were made up of every class of people, doctors to road sweepers, some had fallen on exceptionally rough times, and others like I said had lost faith in a country that purports to care and look after those less fortunate.

So while I can wholly understand your question, I thought I might add this bit, it is a difficult scenario to envisage, but if we can understand the why's and wherefores at times then we not only educate ourselves, but also have a better understanding of other peoples lives.

Cheers Tony.

Guest Hatton
Yes it is, as you well know....

Oh and yes i have done a little charity work. But i do not find the need to try and boast about it and score points. There is no point in talking about this. i think we can all draw our conclusions on this matter.... So I will not bother you again. :wacko:

I am glad to hear you have done charity work, what was it?

Guest The Pom Queen
You really do not know what is happening do you, many people prefer to be living on the streets and when offered shelter refuse it as they like being on their own and oing there own thing, NO ONE....I will repeat it for you....NO ONE....needs to be homeless in today's Britain if they do not want to be, please do your research before insulting me.

I really despair when people come out with statements when living abroad who do not have a clue what is going on in the UK.

Wow things have definitely changed in the UK I can't believe they now have accommodation for ALL the homeless, this is wonderful news. 8 years ago they didn't have enough accommodation. I worked at Social Services and we always had the homeless coming in and camping with us, there was no where for them to go, yes they could get a meal but thats all. We even had families with young children out on the streets or sleeping in their car.

Guest siamsusie
Wow things have definitely changed in the UK I can't believe they now have accommodation for ALL the homeless, this is wonderful news. 8 years ago they didn't have enough accommodation. I worked at Social Services and we always had the homeless coming in and camping with us, there was no where for them to go, yes they could get a meal but thats all. We even had families with young children out on the streets or sleeping in their car.

2009/10/11 the problem remains Kate.

This very subject is of great concern for the London Olympics because we dont want to be giving the wrong impression... therefore arrangements are being made for dispersal!

Outside of St Thomas's Hospital Opp The Houses of Parliament this has always been a huge issue and soup kitchens for these poor people were /are very much in abundance.

Guest guest30038

As I approached the border we were met with a barrage of Cornish Pasties that unfortunately left some of my comrades with 'egg' on their faces,

They don't put egg in Cornish Pasties, do they??????????:unsure:

Guest guest37336
They don't put egg in Cornish Pasties, do they??????????:unsure:

I know mate, :embarrassed:, but a few seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land, so thought, 'Why Not',:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest guest30038
but if we can understand the why's and wherefores at times then we not only educate ourselves, but also have a better understanding of other peoples lives.

Cheers Tony.

Or even try to understand. I'm of the opinion that many can't be @rsed to even try. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that tony. My friend works in a homeless unit in my town, its not very big so i think they have to spread some of the others around lanarkshire but theres definitely not enough houusing for everyone here. I know of one man whos wife flung him out, he lost his job and he ended up there. Its very sad and can easily happen. When i was younger and my mum and dad split up we lost our house, it got repossesed, luckily we got a council house but it was in a total dump. Ive never been on the streets and wont pretend i know what its like. Its just so easy for it to happen to someone and its stupid to say nobody has to be homeless if they dont want to be

Guest guest37336
Sorry to hear that tony. My friend works in a homeless unit in my town, its not very big so i think they have to spread some of the others around lanarkshire but theres definitely not enough houusing for everyone here. I know of one man whos wife flung him out, he lost his job and he ended up there. Its very sad and can easily happen. When i was younger and my mum and dad split up we lost our house, it got repossesed, luckily we got a council house but it was in a total dump. Ive never been on the streets and wont pretend i know what its like. Its just so easy for it to happen to someone and its stupid to say nobody has to be homeless if they dont want to be

Don't get me wrong Stacey, though had a few hard times whilst on the street I must admit it was an education and at times I learnt a lot about myself, but others as well.

Your own story highlights Stacey how easy it is to find yourself in circumstances that at times feel totally out of control, and at lest this has given you some empathy, which is very important when discussing such issues. 'There for the grace of god go I', is always a phrase worth remembering:yes:

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
How the hell do you go from a stolen pot plant to the problems of homelessness, London riots and the problems in Africa?

I've seen some leaps in my time, but that takes the biscuit.

I must admit I did wonder how it had changed path lol:laugh:

I think we've all done a bit of charity work here and there over the years; I know I have and it was a lot of fun.

My brother was homeless for a while and on drugs, and believe me, he did not want to be there. Now he's a top chef in Darling Harbour and loves life.

I think it's completely moronic to assume that the homeless and poverty situation is small in the UK; one in five children are living in poverty here! It may not be starving in Africa, but that is completely up to perspective, and I defy anyone who walks around in London and sees a chap on the road with no shoes and thinks to themselves 'Well at least we're poverty free!'. Many slip through the net and sadly it's something the country is neglecting.

Guest Hatton
How the hell do you go from a stolen pot plant to the problems of homelessness, London riots and the problems in Africa?

I've seen some leaps in my time, but that takes the biscuit.

:biglaugh: brilliant.

Archived