New Cat 4 July 1st 2011

Guest cat4july2011

18 May.

Let us hope they all get home from holiday and get working!!

!8th may....its pretty clear tht smething is up in diac office....its been really....hopefully it will up n running soon.

But i dnt understand....they r currently allocating june applicants...hw come they r still stuck on 18th may. I mean last couple weeks all the allocation wee to june applicant...i though they r dne with may!

The 9 Dec update was 30 April. 20 Jan update 18 May. They haven't even processed one month in the last 6 weeks! Terrible! I was expecting a slow down over the holidays, but geez never thought it was going to be this bad!

Guest Rakeshpatel

DIAC is kidding with our patience.

God help us.

The 9 Dec update was 30 April. 20 Jan update 18 May. They haven't even processed one month in the last 6 weeks! Terrible! I was expecting a slow down over the holidays, but geez never thought it was going to be this bad!

that is really not big move, DIAC is after new year so so slowly. Fingers crossed,hopefully they will speed up processing soon. Please,someone with visa granted or CO allocated today? I need some positive news!

I spoke with my agent that I would like to call my CO and try to ask what's going on. It is almost 2 months since he has been allocated and still no answer from him. All documents are still as "required" on my online app.site. And as I found out here, people who called them and ask they usually got visa very soon....but my agent is against it....and he told me not to called there by myself because it is against our agreement...grrrrrrrr

It is possible that with the visa changes in July11, that there was a huge surge in applications for May/June.

Some of these may have been a bit chancy - not sure if they qualified, but desperate to at least try and get in. So it may be taking them a while to sort through some more difficult applications. Add into the mix Christmas (and school summer holidays) and it is probably understandable that May and June are taking a while to process. Problematic applications are likely to be the ones holding back the 'all allocated' date which in reality appears to be mid June ( from recent CO allocations )

I have no idea if the visa aplication numbers decreased after 1 July, but indications are that the criteria became more difficult to meet so it would make sense that most people would have pushed to get their application in before the change.

I guess I'm trying to say stay positive - every allocation is one closer to our applications!

Nats

I think DIAC should get back into gear after thursday (which is the last public holiday before Easter).

Schools will be reopening as well from early feb, so the holiday season is essentially over in a week.

I agree - in the uk we assume that The christmas delay is over once the kids get back to school in January, but a lot of Aussies will have taken leave to enjoy the summer with their kids.

Of course you also need to consider that applicants may themselves be delaying to process, might not be able to get bookings for medicals over the holidays, or may be away on holiday etc. Postal delays, delays in pcc processing... It all slows applications down to a snails pace.

If you consider 3 weeks being processed since the last update, factor in at least two weeks off work for diac staff, consider the potential volume increase for May/June and delays in finalising visas due to meds/pcc/postal issues, I doubt it's really cause for concern.

Now go pack some boxes to send to the charity store and stop worrying about it ;-)

Nats

!8th may....its pretty clear tht smething is up in diac office....its been really....hopefully it will up n running soon.

But i dnt understand....they r currently allocating june applicants...hw come they r still stuck on 18th may. I mean last couple weeks all the allocation wee to june applicant...i though they r dne with may!

If there is one 19 May application still awaiting allocation, then they can't list a date later than that. It is impossible to say how many May applicants are still awaiting allocation.

its may be because the DIAC work force still not returned fully after christmas and new year vacations......Just to keep the fingers crossed.

About all we can do is cross our fingers and hope. However, it is shocking that they were allocating and granting cat 4s like crazy before the holidays, and now it has ground to a standstill. I was expecting June applicants to be done by now and I was hoping they would be ready to allocate my July application sometime in February. Now that seems like pipe dream...

I know people like to take time off in the summer, but to allow it to impact your organisation like this seems a bit excessive.

About all we can do is cross our fingers and hope. However, it is shocking that they were allocating and granting cat 4s like crazy before the holidays, and now it has ground to a standstill. I was expecting June applicants to be done by now and I was hoping they would be ready to allocate my July application sometime in February. Now that seems like pipe dream...

I know people like to take time off in the summer, but to allow it to impact your organisation like this seems a bit excessive.

DIAC are currently processing applications for the year July 2010-July 2011. Based on this they may decide to finish processing CAT4 applicants for the year July 2010-July 2011 once all June applicants have been dealt with. At this point they may start processing CAT5 applicants. We CAT4s must be prepared for the possibility that they may not start processing CAT4 July 2011-July 2012 applicants until July 2012.

DIAC are currently processing applications for the year July 2010-July 2011. Based on this they may decide to finish processing CAT4 applicants for the year July 2010-July 2011 once all June applicants have been dealt with. At this point they may start processing CAT5 applicants. We CAT4s must be prepared for the possibility that they may not start processing CAT4 July 2011-July 2012 applicants until July 2012.

DIAC clearly state that Cat5 will only be processed when all of Cat4 is complete. They are still processing CAt1/2/3 alongside Cat4 and will continue to do so as applications are recieved, so I very much doubt they suddenly swap priority groups around.

Unless you have a definite reliable source for this information, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nats

DIAC clearly state that Cat5 will only be processed when all of Cat4 is complete. They are still processing CAt1/2/3 alongside Cat4 and will continue to do so as applications are recieved, so I very much doubt they suddenly swap priority groups around.

Unless you have a definite reliable source for this information, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nats

It is only my opinion and is only a possibility, hope I'm wrong. My take on how DIAC operate is that they process Catagories 1,2,4 in order within the processing year which runs from 1st July to 30th June. If the quota is not reached and if there's still time left in the processing year then they process CAT5 applicants. Anyone who applies after 30th June 2011 is processed in the following processing year which begins on July 1st 2012. I think they are going to try to reduce the CAT5 deficit for the remainder of this processing year, i.e. until 30th June. Once again, hope I'm wrong.

It is only my opinion and is only a possibility, hope I'm wrong. My take on how DIAC operate is that they process Catagories 1,2,4 in order within the processing year which runs from 1st July to 30th June. If the quota is not reached and if there's still time left in the processing year then they process CAT5 applicants. Anyone who applies after 30th June 2011 is processed in the following processing year which begins on July 1st 2012. I think they are going to try to reduce the CAT5 deficit for the remainder of this processing year, i.e. until 30th June. Once again, hope I'm wrong.

Well, you get you're wish. You're wrong. To do what you suggest would require a policy change. Of course that could happen, but the minister would need to change DIAC's processing policy and that has not happened.

If you were right, then they would have stopped processing Cat 3 applications once they got up to 30 June 2011. They would then, presumably, move on to Cat 4s up to 30 June, and I would suspect that they would be through that group by now, if they didn't have to process higher category applicants as they com in. They might be onto Cat 5s now IF that was reality (but of course, those poor people applied back in 2007, so which processing year would they select?).

That is not the case. A Cat 3 application who applies, say, 23 January 2012 will be allocated in the next couple of weeks. They won't be pushed off until 1 July. Likewise, they will continue to process Cat 4s ahead of Cat 5s regardless of processing year. Basically, Cat 5s aren't going to get allocated until every Cat 4 in the bin has been allocated. The only way they will ever touch Cat 5 offshore is if they simply stop taking applications for a time with the new EOI rules coming into effect, or if they add on a lot more staff at DIAC.

Well, you get you're wish. You're wrong. To do what you suggest would require a policy change. Of course that could happen, but the minister would need to change DIAC's processing policy and that has not happened.

If you were right, then they would have stopped processing Cat 3 applications once they got up to 30 June 2011. They would then, presumably, move on to Cat 4s up to 30 June, and I would suspect that they would be through that group by now, if they didn't have to process higher category applicants as they com in. They might be onto Cat 5s now IF that was reality (but of course, those poor people applied back in 2007, so which processing year would they select?).

That is not the case. A Cat 3 application who applies, say, 23 January 2012 will be allocated in the next couple of weeks. They won't be pushed off until 1 July. Likewise, they will continue to process Cat 4s ahead of Cat 5s regardless of processing year. Basically, Cat 5s aren't going to get allocated until every Cat 4 in the bin has been allocated. The only way they will ever touch Cat 5 offshore is if they simply stop taking applications for a time with the new EOI rules coming into effect, or if they add on a lot more staff at DIAC.

Sounds good to me, thanks. Just wondering what the hell is going on. I know they're civil servants but this current inactivity is ri-god-damned-diculous.

Folks, remember the table below, DIAC have no obligation to process Cat 4 within immediately, the standard norm is 18 months, so some of us CAT 4 will need to wait for a longer period. My guess is they might start Cat 5 offshore once they reach end of Jun'11 Cat 4 applicants.

[TABLE=class: tableborder, width: 1]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Priority Group Number[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Visa Subclass[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Processing Time[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]RSMS

(subclass 119, 857)

Skilled Regional

(subclass 887)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 5 months

High risk – 8 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]ENS

(subclass 121, 856)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 5 months

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]State Migration Plans (SMP)

(subclass 176, 475, 487, 886)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 12 months

High risk – 24 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Nominated Occupation on the SOL – Schedule 1

(subclass 175, 495, 496, 861, 862, 863, 880, 881, 882, 883, 885 and 176, 475, 487 if not SMP)[/TD]

[TD]18 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]All visas listed in priority 3 and 4 that are not SMP or Nominated Occupation on the SOL – Schedule 1[/TD]

[TD]Assessment will commence when all cases in priority groups 1-4 are finalised[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Sounds good to me, thanks. Just wondering what the hell is going on. I know they're civil servants but this current inactivity is ri-god-damned-diculous.

It seems to me that since there are likely a lot of people off on a summer holiday, we feel the brunt of it. If, say, 20% of DIAC's COs take off, then they are working at 80% capacity. They still must process applications according to priority once they come in, so they continue to process Cat 1 and 3 ahead of us. So, those higher priority categories take precedence, and still seem to be getting processed quickly according to the update. However, this post-Christmas, understrength DIAC does not have any capacity left over to allocate Cat 4s, so we're just sitting in the bin. It seems we will stay there until they get back up to strength.

Folks, remember the table below, DIAC have no obligation to process Cat 4 within immediately, the standard norm is 18 months, so some of us CAT 4 will need to wait for a longer period. My guess is they might start Cat 5 offshore once they reach end of Jun'11 Cat 4 applicants.

[TABLE=class: tableborder, width: 1]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Priority Group Number[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Visa Subclass[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #ECECEC]Processing Time[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]RSMS

(subclass 119, 857)

Skilled Regional

(subclass 887)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 5 months

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]ENS

(subclass 121, 856)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 5 months

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]State Migration Plans (SMP)

(subclass 176, 475, 487, 886)[/TD]

[TD]Low risk – 12 months

High risk – 24 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]Nominated Occupation on the SOL – Schedule 1

(subclass 175, 495, 496, 861, 862, 863, 880, 881, 882, 883, 885 and 176, 475, 487 if not SMP)[/TD]

[TD]18 months[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]All visas listed in priority 3 and 4 that are not SMP or Nominated Occupation on the SOL – Schedule 1[/TD]

[TD]Assessment will commence when all cases in priority groups 1-4 are finalised[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well, DIAC doesn't have an obligation to keep to those times at all. Not too long ago, there were taking much longer to approve applications regardless of the processing time. Those times could be much shorter, longer, or spot on.

However, they DO have an obligation to follow immigration law and policies. The law says that the Minister can direct his department to process migration applications in a certain order. The processing categories you have listed in your post are the Minister's directive. DIAC must follow that directive until the Minister issues another directive. He has not done so. He may do so tomorrow, but I don't think so. Remember that Cat 5s represent jobs that are essentially not in demand in Australia. That is, there is not enough demand to warrant the migration of foreign workers into the field. There are a finite number of spots, and the Minister and the Labor party probably wouldn't want to defend delaying the processing of high need fields for lower need applicants.

DIAC's employees and managers cannot simply move on to a lower processing category while others are waiting in higher cats. If you have ever worked in civil service, in any nation, you would know that to do so would invite chaos and probably would mean the end of your job. You follow policy because it is policy and that is that.

Totally agree with what you've said Sekena. Why would they give new cat 4 applicants an estimated time-slot of 18 months otherwise. It is in DIAC's interest to get rid of ALL the backlog, that includes Cat 5!! There was quite a big initiative by Cat 5 applicants to take DIAC to court and they had already engaged lawyers. So I really think that DIAC believe it is actually easier to deal with the back log than to face court action and bad publicity, which would be portrayed politically by some newspapers. But in any event, I think DIAC have done wonders in dealing with the backlog. Keep up the good work DIAC and let's hope all us Cat 5 will eventually be processed.