Townsville

SteveinOz

Yeah they arent very happy about letting until you have seen it, on the plus side they dont tend ot show things really untill they are vacant and once you put an application in and are approved you can move in almost straight away! A word of warning the rental market consequently moves pretty fast if you see something and like it, it may not still be around in a couple of days! How long are you here for? You picked the right time to arrive! That said its colder than the UK here today and rainy and windy, makes me feel right at home :laugh:

I have a susspicion we are going to be working in the same team .....as im in the medical school too! Vascular? Im not aware of any other big research teams and Proff mentioned we were expecting a new member of the team in July.......if so thats a little weird!

I know what you mean about living out of a suitcase though, my sea freight took almost 4 months (although I had a part container!) It took 6 weeks to get from Melbourne to Townsville (I can only assume it had a nice holiday somewhere first!).

Any questiuons let me know!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you get your Medicare card ordered straight away and get a visa and debit card from your bank as you'll need these to get your driving licence this will help you get the 100 points required to apply for a rental. Good luck.

Guest Mac37

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. There's so much to sort out! It's amazing that anybody ever successfully relocates anywhere.

Yes - Surfy Brit - I am joining vascular!!! So we will be working in the same team - small world! I'm a psychologist, what's your subject?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I wanted to join in your Townsville thread if that's ok?

Hubby has just been offered a job there and we are SO excited. They reckon we could be on our way over in a month, which is also pretty scary as we have 2 kids (3 + 1) and a lot to organise!

Have been looking at everyone's suburb recomendations and checking out rentals on realestate.com to maybe get a shortlist of places to look at when we get over. Hubby will be working in the CBD and we would like to be pretty close to the beach too! I don't drive and think I may need to learn..... I've heard a few of you say Townsville is spread out with no public transport?

Does anyone have any advice on looking at schools? Obviously this will have a big impact on the areas we want to live in and I'm not sure where to start with that....

Also weather! I know it's gonna be hot, but when it gets cold HOW cold is it?! Should I bother bringing over our winter clothes or not?

Thanks in advance everyone.... I'm sure I'll be back with LOADS more daft questions!

I went ofr a run on tht strand at 6am and saw people running in longsleves and bottoms hats and gloves :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I had a running vest on and cropped capri's! I think they are maybe jsut 'nesh' it was 11C at 6am I think it hit 10 the other mroning! I dotn feel the cold so have been fine so far!

Yes to learning to drive! Im about to start as the public transport is awfull ..e.g a bus once an hour can often be 30 mins late or jsut not show up at all!!! They only run down main routes and this morning I ended up catching 3 busses to work :err::err::err:

Schools I cant help on im afraid as no kids! But other daft questions jsut ask!

hey Tink!

Yup know what you mean lived in manchester and Gatley!! So Townsville is a BIG culture shock!

I am moving to North ward at the weekend! Will make getting to work harder BUT hopefully more social oppertunites! So let me know and we can go for a girl cocktail at some point! Wherea re you working?

we were looking at units around north shore this weekend, living in hyde park at the minute! have you been out on the strand? wheres the best places to go out?

I am really enjoying living on the strand much more to do even if it is jsut go for a quick walk!

I havent eaten out yet so cant comment on food! But C Bar is very nice and chilled and relaxed for a drink and herad thir food is very good! Wanted to try the watermark this weekend but nmy housemate would play out so disnt go! Let me know when you move in and we will have to road test a few places!

Where abouts are you looking at units?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tandcmum

yes driving is definatly a good thing to be able to do here, we have ended up having to buy two cars aswell as getting about is impossible otherwise, mind you we do live out at Mount Low so we are a bit more out of the city, but we love it out here. Our kids closest school is 4.5km away, they can get a bus home but they still have a 1.5kn walk once they get off the bus. I can imagine if you work int he CBD and lived in north ward or around that area you would be okay without a car. I must admit i love the fact it is spread out tho, it always seem s really airy and spacious which i love

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Great thread!

Hope those of you already in Townsville can offer us some advise. We're a british Indian family, born in the uk. There might be a job opportunity in Townsville but I'm a little concerned about racism in Toensville. With it being smaller than Brisbane/Sydney etc. I've read some bad stories. We've got two young kids snd I've read something about two kids being shot playing in a suburban park there.

Are there many Asians in Townsville? Would you advise waiting for s bigger/multivitamin city job opportunity?

Don't want to move somewhere and be worrying about the kids being bullied etc

Thanks. Any advice much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Other people can correct me but I have not seen that many Idians. Plenty aboriginal, islanders and Philopinos (I think) Not seen or heard anything about racism but looks like most people keep to their own. We live in an area with loads of locals and have not had any issues. Hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sasquatch

Hi everyone,

just thought we'd introduce ourselves on this thread as we've recently settled back in Townsville after spending time on the Sunshine Coast and out west. We're originally from Northern Ireland but all up we've been in Townsville for approximately 2 years (having lived here 7 years ago),and after the birth of our first child, thought it a far better option to raise him here than in Mt. Isa! We know our way around the city and are available to help out anyone new to the area. We've just moved to Bushland beach having previously lived in Deeragun and North ward. Enjoying the laid back lifestyle and just gearing up for another Townsville summer!

Chris and Charlene.