Townsville

SteveinOz

Hello, Hope you don't mind me joining in this thread? Hubby and I are thinking of moving from Melbourne to Townsville in the next few months. we are both nurses so would think we will be okay getting jobs there? Hubby has already applied for one so fingers crossed. We have 2 children aged 16 and 7. Is there plenty for them to do? 16 year old is in year 10 - can anyone recommend some decent schools for me to have a look at? Also recommendations of any suburbs?

We are hopefully coming up for a reccie in the Easter holidays so if anyone would like to meet us and answer all our questions that would be very helpful! :biggrin:

any advice gratefully received!

Karen

Hi, if you want to read through all the pages of the thread (I know there are a few), but there is quite a bit of information contained within the pages.

Anything specific you need to know, drop me a message and I will do my best to answer your questions.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest john76

Hi, keep us posted on that get together, we do have a 2 1/2 year old so if you are planning a get together somewhere the kiddies can come we would be interested, sorry haven't Reno here as much as I would like but will make an effort to get on here a bit more often, cheers for now, John

How about this weekend as its a bank holiday, could make it Friday as everyone ( hopefully) will be off. The seaview should be a bit quieter then.

john76, kids are allowed into the outdoor area of the seaview so shouldn't be a problem.

Was thinking around 2 o'clock if all ok with that.

Ahhhh Good Friday would be nice BUT Im afraid im off to Cairns to visit some very distant relatives that I have never met (Slightly apprehensive about that!)! So I am not around!

Have fun count me in for the next one though! Maybe we can have a welcome drinks to tandcmum in May? Once the jetlag has abated of course!

Guest silversunpickup
How about this weekend as its a bank holiday, could make it Friday as everyone ( hopefully) will be off. The seaview should be a bit quieter then.

john76, kids are allowed into the outdoor area of the seaview so shouldn't be a problem.

Was thinking around 2 o'clock if all ok with that.

Hi Steve,

Really sorry guys but I cant make this Friday either. Would love to come any other time but my little girl & I have a day out planned with friends.

Will defo be up for the next one though so you can count me in for that! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellow Townsvillers!

Arrived last night bank, phones, car, apartment sorted.

Wifi is a real pain to get hold of.

Had a pizza in I think it was the sea view hotel with a nice XXXX last night.

Driven up castle hill....that's gonna get us fit soon.

Weather is fab.

See you all soon for a beer, I'm the one in my profile pic if you see me looking lost!

Love it love it x

Welcome to Townsville Shiner! Its looking rather grey this morning...did you bring us some weather with you?

You over the jetlag yet?

Tink! Hello! I miss my girly drink too and finding it soemwhat tough to meet people so more than happy to meet you for a few drinks if you fancy it! How are you finding Townsville? Where was home before?

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

[QUOafTE=Eng32;1935813579]Hi, Can anyone advise on short term holiday lets in Townsville please, finding it hard to find any. It will be for 2 aduts and a child. Any info greatly received.:frown:A

A friend if mine owns The Gulls and it's good for simple inexpensive accommodation. Nearby there is also Breezes by the Bay where we stayed when we arrived. Again, not too pricey.

[QUOafTE=Eng32;1935813579]Hi, Can anyone advise on short term holiday lets in Townsville please, finding it hard to find any. It will be for 2 aduts and a child. Any info greatly received.:frown:
A

A friend if mine owns The Gulls and it's good for simple inexpensive accommodation. Nearby there is also Breezes by the Bay where we stayed when we arrived. Again, not too pricey.

Oooooh Thanks so much, looks just what we need :smile:

Guest tandcmum

we are here, love it, living in pimlico at the moment, but moving out to mount low once our house is ready. Still running around like mad chickens getting stuff done but will arrange a PIO meet up soon

Tink! Hello! I miss my girly drink too and finding it soemwhat tough to meet people so more than happy to meet you for a few drinks if you fancy it! How are you finding Townsville? Where was home before?

:biggrin:

Yeh sure willl have to organise something! I came here a few months ago, its good but still feeling a bit lost. How do you like it? Home is back in shropshire, moved from stockport :)

Guest tandcmum
Ahh, you're finally here! Welcome to Townsville. I followed you journey for a few months but haven't been on here for a while. Hopw you're settling in well. How old are your kids?

kids are 10 and 8, starting school in a week hopefully, going to enrol them next week. Really enjoying it here altho looking forward to moving into our own place, hard to settle in temp accomodation. so far all we have for our new house is a patio set and a kettle and toaster....lol. super a mart here we come

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mac37

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to say hello. We are moving to Townsville from Dunblane, Scotland at the end of June. I will be working at the University. My hubby is going to take a few weeks off to give the kids a break and sort out house/school/our life! I have 4 kids, but only 3 of them are coming with us. Our eldest son (17) is joining us in December. Our other children are two boys (9 and 5) and a girl (3).

Does anyone know of a good short-term let which could sleep the 5 of us? A lot of places just seem to have room for 1 or 2 children.

Hopefully we can come along to one of the get-togethers when we arrive as we know nobody in Townsville.

hey Tink!

Yup know what you mean lived in manchester and Gatley!! So Townsville is a BIG culture shock!

I am moving to North ward at the weekend! Will make getting to work harder BUT hopefully more social oppertunites! So let me know and we can go for a girl cocktail at some point! Wherea re you working?

Mac welcome to poms in oz and townsville!

What are you doing at the uni? I work there too! Im in research:wink:

There are a few places on this site that are bigger if you mean holiday lets? http://www.accomtownsville.com.au/

most of the rentals here are for a 6 month minimum! There are some nice palces about with a pool etc! ARe you shipping things out here?

Guest Mac37

Hi Surfy Brit,

I'm a researcher too! Will be working in the Medical School. Yes, all our stuff is being shipped, I think it's in Singapore just now. Ideally I'd like to rent somewhere for 6 months, but the estate agents I've called have said we have to view the property first, so we might need to get a holiday let for the first couple of weeks until we can find something more permanent. I start work on 3rd July, so I don't want to be living out of a suitcase for too long before we're sorted!

Archived