Townsville

SteveinOz

Hi Guys,

been given my details for flights etc. Leave UK on 21st April arrive 23rd April. Have been given accommodation for a month in Belgian Gardens and a car for a month as well . All coming together and feeling great now.

Shinner....soon to be Stevo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmphh im not sure I will be up castle hill any time soon as the round trip from Douglas is 30k and that a tad more than I normally run!

You are enjoying it thoug leah and martin! If you hear a pure british accent at stockland say hello its probably me! I only seem to need to say a word or 2 an the Aussies spot me!

Stevo! Great timing im told it will be cooler then and thats also 3 months to the day I flew! We had about 3 inches of rain last night! Kinda put pay to the post work run I was planning! :mad:

Guest tandcmum

you are arriving about a week before us Stevo, still seems like ages away and still got so much to do this end before we go

Tandcmum can you let me know how you get on working as a nurse in townsville. We are thinking of coming out but not until next year and this is one of the areas we are considering. Good luck with your move!

Guest silversunpickup

Hey good news Stevo.

Hit me up when you are settled in and we could go grab a beer & talk Townsville!

Good luck

Keith

Guest tandcmum
Tandcmum can you let me know how you get on working as a nurse in townsville. We are thinking of coming out but not until next year and this is one of the areas we are considering. Good luck with your move!

no probs, will keep you updated

Guest tandcmum

we've opened an account with NAB, they do a free migrant current account and have migrant bankers in the branch i believe, i think most banks are the same though.

Thanks tandcmum. Noticed you are coming from Perth. I am in Angus so sure you will be used to a similar kind of nursing to me. Would be great to here how you find it compared to Scotland and how you all cope with the heat. Bet you won't miss Scotland's weather

Banking wise I went with Commenwealth purely beacuse they let me open an account online from the UK, card was waiting for me in branch the day I got here!

What i will warn you that the banks dont! Is that if you use another banks cashmachine they charge you $2! So avoid that!

If you can open with NAB online cant see why not to do that...its jsut cashmacnines you have to think about BUT cashout at a shop when you pay on card is freeeeee! So thats a way around it!

Yeah if people fance a beer after they have arrived! That would be nice! max8kn and tacturn are you working at the Mater or the public hospital?

Guest tandcmum
Banking wise I went with Commenwealth purely beacuse they let me open an account online from the UK, card was waiting for me in branch the day I got here!

What i will warn you that the banks dont! Is that if you use another banks cashmachine they charge you $2! So avoid that!

If you can open with NAB online cant see why not to do that...its jsut cashmacnines you have to think about BUT cashout at a shop when you pay on card is freeeeee! So thats a way around it!

Yeah if people fance a beer after they have arrived! That would be nice! max8kn and tacturn are you working at the Mater or the public hospital?

I'm going to be working at the Mater, psyching myself up for it being very very different from what I am used to here in Scotland

Don't have a job yet as unable to come until next year. Just wondered how easy it was to get work. I worked in Sydney and they did a few different things but much the same. Found that they speak to patients differently and don't put up with as much crap as we do here. We are still in early stages but just like the look of townsville

Have opened an account with NAB. Moneycorp have been really good and explained everything so that's looking good.

Five weeks today we fly, so many leaving parties to have don't know how we can fit them in.

Hoping the weather will be a bit better then.

See you all soon.

S

Very Exciting! During the past few weeks a few other 'I wish I had known' when I came over.

Firstly aircon is a must in a rental, there are very few without but dont be tempted not too, and air con wise you want what is know as a 'split system' these are much quieter which is important as you will want to be running these at night! The older style box conditioners are much noiser and more expensive to run (so I am told!).

I would probably also say if you can afford it get a tumble dryer, its been raining since thursday here and I mean pouring (10cm + of rainfall every 24 hours!) you might not need one straight away though if you come in the dry season. We have one thank goodness!

House stuff I dunno how much you have shipped and if you might be waiting for things? But if you do need stuff to tide you over KMART is a good call!

Other thing depends on how much you like to cook! A lot of the ovens here seem to heat purely from an electrode at the bottom and are not fan assisted (fan forced in aussie terms) This means that when cooking its very easy to burn the bottom of things so far i have done it with cakes, yorkshire puddings and pretty much any shop bought pizza, :arghh::arghh:so when you do a viewing it might be worth opening the oven to check! I love to bake (in fact I would much rather do that than my actuall job) Im making chocolate stout cupcakes in honor of Paddies day today but going to have to be so careful!

Hope that is of some help to you! An I hope it stops raining sometime before you get here!

Shinner, with Moneycorp, if you mention you found them on the site they will do your money transfer for free, at least I think they are still doing that offer. Missed the storm as I was away working and where we live, Annandale, it really didn't hit but did have trouble getting back to Townsville with all the flooding.

We must organise a get together for all the Brits in Townsville, we would suggest the Seaview on the Strand as they have a nice open air area. Anyone up for it??

Yes survived OK! Douglas didnt get hit which is where I am living so very luky! Really feel for those who were not so lucky, imagine having your house survive a cyclone and then a year later having the roof torn off in a tournado!

Was lucky, only disturbed my running as the river is so high I cant run along the path beside it! Its still very high and still cant!

The seaview on the strand sounds like a plan to me, nice to be able to drink in the open air! hopefully the big rain is done!

Guest silversunpickup

Yeah same here. We were lucky and the tornado missed us too. I have been quoting work in the torrnado hit suburbs over the last couple of days & those places got smashed. Poor people. At least nobody was killed or seriously injured, that is the most important thing.

SB - same here, the river in fairfield Waters is also over the footpath - that has never happened! lol.

Yep Seaview sounds like a plan.

Hello, Hope you don't mind me joining in this thread? Hubby and I are thinking of moving from Melbourne to Townsville in the next few months. we are both nurses so would think we will be okay getting jobs there? Hubby has already applied for one so fingers crossed. We have 2 children aged 16 and 7. Is there plenty for them to do? 16 year old is in year 10 - can anyone recommend some decent schools for me to have a look at? Also recommendations of any suburbs?

We are hopefully coming up for a reccie in the Easter holidays so if anyone would like to meet us and answer all our questions that would be very helpful! :biggrin:

any advice gratefully received!

Karen

Archived