Townsville

SteveinOz

Just thought I would start a thread regarding Townsville.

We are due to move in the next few days and will post some of our experiences as we go.

Would also be helpful if people already there or people about to go also posted so we can all keep in touch and share experiences and help.

Cheers

Steve & Gill

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tandcmum

Great idea Steve, I know there are a couple of Townsville threads but they were started a few years back and most posters on them don't come on here anymore.

We are in the process of makingthe move over, I'm waiting on my nursing registration and my visa nomination to be approved, coming over on a RSMS visa and going to be working at the Mater hospital, will be sometime next year before we get over, I'm thinking spring time but is dependednt on visa and then how quick I have to come over after that has been granted.

I'm moving over with hubby and two kids (boy 9, girl 7)

How are all your plans coming over for the move next week, excited, nervous....?

Suzanne xx

hi Gill and Steve

That sounds great would love to hear all your experiences, we (myself, o.h and little one) are heading out to Townsville, everything completed including medicals just awaiting the elusive visa grant email.

As soon as we get it, we aim to be out 4 weeks of that (notice period)

any insight you can give will be great, you can never have too much info or help!!!

will look out for your posts

good luck with the big move

TT xx

Guest clareandy

hi gill and steve

we are moving to townsville at the end of august ourselves im clare 39yrs my other 1/2 is andy hes 42yrs we have 2 boys jack 7yrs and harry 4yrs

weve never been there so would be great to keep in touch

hope your move goes well take care

clare

Guest tandcmum

As you are al quite a bit ahead of me in arriving I hope you will all keep popping on here to let me know how your getting on, and you can have the barbie ready and the wine chilled :wink:

Hey im off to Townsville too:biggrin:

457 is in progress so I dont think I will be there till Nov :cry:

But I like the idea of some feedback, would be really really helpful!

Im going on my own so feeling a tad apprechensive on that front! Oh an I will be working at the hospital/uni running research studies for them, im female will be 30 by then :eek: so all help and suggestions usefull!!

Guest Lisamarie

Hi, we are in Townsville, have been here 2.5 years. Great place, lovely winters, horrible summers but overall we have really enjoyed Townsville. 2 years is probably long enough to spend here though but its a good start and we are looking forward to moving on somewhere else in the country now. Good luck to everyone!!

Guest tandcmum
All stuff packed, start the trip to Townsville tomorrow.....

Good luck Steve and Gill, have a good flight and looking forward to hearing about it once you arrive

First Update

Well we eventually arrived minus one piece of luggage which turned up 2 days later. Both were pretty knackered but seem to be over the jet lag now.

Been a bit of a problem getting online and getting sim cards sorted for our phones, mine is working but the Mrs phone still not, another trip to Telstra!!! Just one bit of advise, take your passport when buying sim cards as they won't let you have one until they have taken a copy.

With the limited shopping (food and essentials) we have done, we have found massive price differences, so shop around people, don't get everything in the one store.

House hunting tomorrow and buying a car, will let you know how we get on.

Update 2

Car bought, prices a bit over what you would expect to pay in the UK. Bought it from Pickerings as they seem to be the biggest dealer in the area and they offer a 5 year warrenty on all used cars.

Have so far only got one appointment to view a house on Wed and awaiting a call back on another, both in Annandale. Mrs very particular in what she wants and where she wants to live, which makes things harder.

Bank accounts sorted, did most of it online via this site with NAB, just turned up with passports signed a couple of bits of paperwork and we had our bank cards. Just waiting for Visa Debit cards to arrive at the bank. If you do apply online, might be worth adding a note to the effect that you would need Visa Debit cards as your ordinary bank card has a daily limit. We had to get a bank cheque when buying the car as the card would not cover it.

to be continued...............:biggrin:

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clareandy

hi steve and gill

thanks for keeping every one up to date and the info we have 8 days left then we make the flight

having 2 small boys we booked a hotel in brisbane for a nite when we arrive then weve booked a car for 2 weks so we can drive up to townsville so we are looking to be there by 26th 27th :animal-turtle:

Update 3

Started work now so pretty much into a normal routine.

Still waiting for Telstra to connect our internet, have a phone line but no internet, suppose we just have to be patient.

You just have to be more relaxed about everything, as no one is in any hurry to do anything at all. This can be good sometimes but frustrating most of the time.

Both starting to find our way roundit's not that hard as most of the roads intersect one another.

Have to get a Queensland driving license sorted in the next week or so as well as medicare, can be difficult as they only seem to be open during work hours.

Feel free to ask any questions you need answering, and I will try my best.

Hi Steve & Gill

Hope your settling in well. My wife and I also moved here from the UK in june with our two daughters. Have settled really well and went through all the ups and down you seem to experiencing. We managed to find a place in westend which is near work and my daughters school. We found it a real roller-coster looking for the right house and your right cars are expensive but seem to be decent runners.

Let me know if you need any advice or anything at all.

Loving Townsville

James & lou

hi gill and steve

we are moving to townsville at the end of august ourselves im clare 39yrs my other 1/2 is andy hes 42yrs we have 2 boys jack 7yrs and harry 4yrs

weve never been there so would be great to keep in touch

hope your move goes well take care

clare

Hi Clare & Andy

Just though we would drop you a quick message. We moved to Townsville two months ago and are finally settling into a routine and life here. We love it and hope you will too. We also have two children( daughters) 14 years and 15 months and are keen to meet new people in similar situations as us. We have just gone through the high & lows you soon will, so if you need any advice or help or just want to meet up for a coffee than drop us message and see if we can help .

James & Lou

Guest clareandy

hi everyone in townsville weve been here almost a week looking for jobs electrician and chef but are willing to do anything any one got any contacts or anyone want to meet up at the water park

Guest john76

Hi folks I hope to call upon anyone with a knowledge of Townsville, we are in the later stages of preparing to go there (month or two away now) can anyone reconmend any part of Townsville for us to rent in, we are a 37 year old nurse (will be working @ mater hospital) me 34 year old stay at home dad and our son Victor 2 year old, or indeed if you know of any part we should avoid that would be great also.

Or if you just have some info about the place all would be welcome

thanks for taking the time to read this post :notworthy:

Hi folks I hope to call upon anyone with a knowledge of Townsville, we are in the later stages of preparing to go there (month or two away now) can anyone reconmend any part of Townsville for us to rent in, we are a 37 year old nurse (will be working @ mater hospital) me 34 year old stay at home dad and our son Victor 2 year old, or indeed if you know of any part we should avoid that would be great also.

Or if you just have some info about the place all would be welcome

thanks for taking the time to read this post :notworthy:

Really depends on your budget and what you want, ie. pool, bedrooms, bathrooms. We are in Annandale and find it a really nice area, close to everything we need, work is about a 15-20 minute drive away depending on traffic and which way I go.

If you have a look at www.realestate.com.au most of the estate agents advertise on there and you can usually tell what the area is like if you compare rental prices.

Hope that helps.