please help me on usual problems with falling for someone not from your home country.

Guest clalot

Guest clalot

hi there,

I was on a working holiday visa and met this amazing guy (as the story usually goes :) ) and we were living together in a sharehouse but sharing a room with another guy (we paid rent cash in hand... think there was something going on there but oh well). We lived together for 2 months and then my visa ended so I flew back home 2 weeks ago. We desperately want to be together, and he proposed unofficially several times (I said yes each time :) )We've kept our relationship and he's coming out to visit me in 6 weeks for a month and then he has to go back to work (Well doesn't HAVE to, but it's easier for him to go back to his job in oz than try find a new one here for only a few months). I've been thinking about going on a one year student visa to study near where he is so we can live together properly but it's expensive... what are the chances of getting a parter visa (we want to get married in September) while living with him on a tourist visa?

p.s I have pictures, texts, phone calls, ect. but no proof of living together in the same room except pics and written receipts from our landlord.

hi there,

I was on a working holiday visa and met this amazing guy (as the story usually goes :) ) and we were living together in a sharehouse but sharing a room with another guy (we paid rent cash in hand... think there was something going on there but oh well). We lived together for 2 months and then my visa ended so I flew back home 2 weeks ago. We desperately want to be together, and he proposed unofficially several times (I said yes each time :) )We've kept our relationship and he's coming out to visit me in 6 weeks for a month and then he has to go back to work (Well doesn't HAVE to, but it's easier for him to go back to his job in oz than try find a new one here for only a few months). I've been thinking about going on a one year student visa to study near where he is so we can live together properly but it's expensive... what are the chances of getting a parter visa (we want to get married in September) while living with him on a tourist visa?

p.s I have pictures, texts, phone calls, ect. but no proof of living together in the same room except pics and written receipts from our landlord.

to get a defacto visa you need to have lived together for 12 months, could he come here and work for 12 months - you could then prove your relationship and apply for defacto then.

Guest clalot

yes, but what about a spouse visa? I know the living time is different with marriage. Coming here would be difficult as I live in Switzerland so not only is it hard for me to get a job, but there are also no working holiday visas available for Australians...

Prospective marriage visa http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/prospective/300/ is the way to go and you have 9 months to get around to getting married and you can work whereas as a tourist you wont be able to work and Immigration may not take too kindly to the fact that you are entering as a tourist, intending to stay permanently.

Are you sure you really want to marry an Australian?:twitcy:

Guest clalot

wow! thanks for all the speedy replies! Prospective marriage visa seems a good idea, but what do we do about the fact that we have no hard evidence we lived together?

Guest siamsusie

Hi Nothing wrong with marrying an Australian:mad: but it depends what sort of man you are marrying:biggrin:.. if you both are in love, good for you guys and congratulations.

You can get married without having lived together and apply for your visa. The criteria is to show that to all intents and purposes you have a genuine relationship together with supporting evidence.

A PMV visa has to be applied for off shore and you would have to marry within 9 months on shore.

GeorgeD one of our members is far better at explaining this and hopefully he will pick this up.. but this is how I obtained my spouse visa.

Susie x

Guest clalot

Thank you Susie, that's good news! and congrats on your visa. I'll try track down this person you speak of. p.s thanks for having my back on the whole marrying an ozzy guy thing :)

Guest siamsusie
Thank you Susie, that's good news! and congrats on your visa. I'll try track down this person you speak of. p.s thanks for having my back on the whole marrying an ozzy guy thing :)

Clalot, as with most mixed marriages , we all have to compromise due to the distances involved.

I would say that having children over here would have to be the hardest, (a) support network can be minimal (b) if the relationship breaks down the chances of leaving this country with your children can be minimal! I will add the "sticky on this subject to the end of my post to you. Births, marriages and deaths do occur of course and being so far away can be extremely painful.

These are things you have to be aware about!

My husband is well travelled and he can easily live in most places in the world, living in Australia is my choice..I couldnt even contemplate marrying a person who was just happy in his shed, where Australia was the be and end all of life lol. . but it is important to have enough finances in your pocket to be able to go home as and when.. Being stuck overseas on bare bones results in frustration and resentment.

If you are going into the relationship with your eyes wide open, then there should hopefully be no nasty little surprises down the track:wubclub:

Susie x

Addition of link ...http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/47091-children-what-happens-if-you-your-partner-decide-go-home.html

Spouse Visa/George D ...http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/118171-prospective-marriage-versus-spouse-visa.html

LOL my quip was a joke - I have one too - coming up 38 years next week and met him while I was on holiday as well so it can work, it's just that sometimes they refuse to move out of Australia and that is where I have the problem. There are some lovely chaps around.

Guest GeorgeD

OK, you're not going to be eligible for the de-facto visa for 10-12 months. You need proof of living together for 12 months, and this is a rule which is strictly adhered to. Let's discard the de-facto route on that basis. So, you have two options in the Partner Migration route...Prospective Marriage Visa (PMV) and Spouse Visa.

The Prospective Marriage Visa is probably the easiest way to go if you want to be together and working in Oz the soonest. You need to apply offshore and can marry on or offshore (although you need to have entered Australia on the visa before you get married at least once to validate it). You can enter Oz and work once the visa is granted. You don't ever need to have lived together, you just need to show you intend get married soon and be in a commited relationship going forward. The requirements are that you get married and apply for a Spouse visa within 9 months of the grant of the PMV. This also makes it a more expensive option as you have two application fees in the space of 9 months.

If you were getting married very soon, then you may look at the Spouse Visa as there is no living together requirement if you are married. My wife and I lived in different countries for the two years prior to marriage, had no joint finances or any other documentation during that time. We got married, and applied for the Spouse Visa very shortly after the wedding (when we were still living in different countries.) What you still need to do is prove you intend to be in a genuine and continuing relationship going forward...Start getting joint commitments...get wills made naming each other as beneficiaries, get each other named on car insurance policies (so you can drive if you visit each other, remember this isn't for the purpose of claiming you are living together as that isn't a requirement, it's evidence of a joint activity - use of the same car!)

Entering Oz on a Tourist visa, getting married, then applying for a Spouse visa would mean you get a Bridging Visa while your application is considered. This gives you the same rights as the visa you entered on (Tourist), so you can't work. Given that the onshore processing times for Spouse Visas can be up to 9-10 months...that's 9-10 months after your application where you still have no work rights. This isn't strictly a proper use of the Tourist Visa, so you run the risk of being denied entry at the border (to be fair it is a small risk, but it is possible to be turned away) and if your visa has any "no further stay" condition then you won't be able to apply onshore for another visa at all. Alternatively, the PMV lets you enter with work rights, get married, then apply for a Spouse Visa. When your PMV runs out you will be allowed to remain with work rights until the decision on your Spouse Visa is made (in 9-10 months). So, you are trading the waiting time for the PMV to be granted and the cost of two application fees against a year of not having work rights. In both cases it is possible to be together in Australia. You may also consider getting married then applying offshore, while living apart, as we did. Check with whichever Australian DIAC office processes applications for your country (if you are from the UK, it is Australia House in London) to see how long current processing times are. They should be able to tell you how long PMV and Offshore Spouse applications are currently taking. Often the offshore processing time is faster than the onshore processing time - I think the theory goes if you are offshore you are apart so there is a faster timeline than onshore as you are likely to be living together in Australia already.

Archived