Child visa 101- urgent queries (student status)

Guest JenL

Guest JenL

Hi there,

I am posting as i need further advice about my Child visa 101 (offshore) application, that is about to be lodged by my migration agent....

I am aged 23 years old, female, a British citizen, and currently a student (but about to graduate in 3 weeks with a First Class Honours Degree).

Last year i appointed a registered migration agent to help lodge my application, my parents used them about 4 years ago when they emigrated to Australia permanently, and to date they have been helpful to me.......However, i have found something out, very recently, that could affacted my eligibility for the visa, of which the migration agent has not made me aware of (which is strange!). Basically i have been advised that i might have to remain a student until the visa is granted, rather than at the time of being lodged... I wanted to know if this is the case and if anyone has experienced problems with this?

I have been exploring my options if this is the case, and the main option would be to undertake a Postgraduate course, full-time, which is for 1 year (of which will cost me alot of money!!!), but this would give me an extra year for the visa to go through (hopefully). Alternatively, if i graduated and then remained working part time in my job, whilst still receiving money from my parents, would i still be classed as dependent on my parents, even though i wouldn't have my student status?

I will be speaking to my migration agent about this also, but just wanted some advice from others who may have experienced anything like this, or know about it.

Thanks

Jennifer

Yes you need to remain dependent on your parents and must be a full time student. Applying for and being accepted on a full time course would cover that. You may well have your visa before the course starts anyway or if it was something you wanted/needed to do you might be best doing it in the UK because it would cost you so much more to do in Aus!

Guest JenL
Yes you need to remain dependent on your parents and must be a full time student. Applying for and being accepted on a full time course would cover that. You may well have your visa before the course starts anyway or if it was something you wanted/needed to do you might be best doing it in the UK because it would cost you so much more to do in Aus!

Hi Shel,

Thanks for your reply! I didn't really want to apply for a postgraduate course as it costs alot of money (you have to pay the tuition fees yourself without a student loan), and it just wasn't something i considered....but if it means that i will remain with my student status during the processing time then i am more than willing to apply for a postgrad course. I hope you're right and that i get the visa sooner rather than later!

Jen x

Guest JenL
Have you lodged your application yet?

I am just waiting for the migration agent to lodge it, this should be within the next few days hopefully, (therefore i will still have my student status at lodgement as i have not yet graduated.)

But if what i have been told about remaining a student is correct (which im sure it is) then DIAC will most likely want further evidence during the processing time of still being a student and financially dependant on my parents.

Archived