renting with a cat

dinkydoo

Hi,

We are hoping to make the move back to to Oz in the future, we were in Sydney a few years ago but didnt have my beloved cat Ozzy! I have been looking into rentals and not very many places are 'pet friendly', how difficult would it be to find a rental with just one cat?? I really cant bear the thought of not taking him with us but wonder whether we will struggle to find an apartment that we could have him with us, do we ship him over to find he cant live wth us???????

Help me please so I can take him with me!!!!!!!!

Guest juliemtaylor

we applied for everything that didn't say no pets. Before we left we had our Estate Agent in UK write a reference saying we kept the house well for the viewings for sale and had 2 cats who were no problem. We got a rental as easily as any - stress for 4 weeks..

So take your cat all will work out and it will help you settle.

Julie x

Hi DinkyDoo! My husband has just signed up for a rental in Canberra and we are allowed to take two cats with us. It helps that they are well past the kitten stage, they are 8. We found it relatively easy to find rentals that didn't specify and we just avoided the ones that said no pets allowed. We didn't look particularly for any saying 'pet friendly'.

OH went out on 21st June and myself and our 5 year old daughter are joining him mid August. Can't wait. It was essential for us to take the cats as they are part of the family and I really do think they will help my daughter and myself feel right at home more quickly.

Have you decided who you going to use to help fly them out there? I've not yet decided this and must sort it out PDQ. Luckily we are going to use the Sydney Quarantine centre which is larger and doesn't have a waiting list at the moment.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi, we are not sure when we will be going so have some time to make some enquires, and have been advised by a friend to get lots of quotes and compare them and get them to price match. Our cat is nearly 2 and doesnt really scratch furniture anymore because he has his post, he does however like being outside and I dont know how he will cope having to stay in. If you find a good company let me know! hope all goes well with your move, we were in Sydney for 18 months a few years ago and have been dreaming of going back ever since.

Sharon

Hi DinkyDoo! My husband has just signed up for a rental in Canberra and we are allowed to take two cats with us. It helps that they are well past the kitten stage, they are 8. We found it relatively easy to find rentals that didn't specify and we just avoided the ones that said no pets allowed. We didn't look particularly for any saying 'pet friendly'.

OH went out on 21st June and myself and our 5 year old daughter are joining him mid August. Can't wait. It was essential for us to take the cats as they are part of the family and I really do think they will help my daughter and myself feel right at home more quickly.

Have you decided who you going to use to help fly them out there? I've not yet decided this and must sort it out PDQ. Luckily we are going to use the Sydney Quarantine centre which is larger and doesn't have a waiting list at the moment.

Good luck with your decision!

Will let you know how we get on with quotes. I'm not too worried about the Quarantine period but I do wonder how they'll get on without a catflap! As we are renting we won't be able to have a cat flap so our cats will have to learn to wait, in or out! I'm hoping the benefit of them not being able to drag the wildlife (probably rather larger than in the UK!) in during the night will outweigh the downside of maybe an accident or too!

Guest RobnLinda

We are also off to Canberra in January (we hope) and had heard some negative information re cats in Canberra which has made me very anxious about taking cats. Something to do with the number of groundfeeding birds. I am desparate to take our 2 moggies aged 4 as it will help the children to settle, so you have given me some hope!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Hello friends i want buy a cat pet. if you have any pet then please contact me. Because i love pets.

Is that to make a spam curry with:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Family Hughes, we are in Canberra and need to find a long term rental for when our cat is out of quarantine in Septmber - which agency did you use to find your rental? :notworthy:

Hi dferri2000!

We actually logged on daily to mainly allhomes.com.au to get an idea of what was out there and how quickly it moved. Then when hubby went out in June he used a relocation agent to help him with advice on dealing with the agents, inside info on areas, what was a good rent etc...

The agency was Auslocate (auslocate.com.au) and we used Kim Donaghue based in Canberra who couldn't have been more helpful with all sorts of valuable info, including where to buy a car! We found this very effective. Basically we had a house sorted by the end of his first week there, which he moved into just a couple of weeks later.

Good luck!

For those wanting to move to Canberra with cats, check out here

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/live/pets/cat_owner_information

Also, if you have neighbours who are bird/garden lovers, you may find they are not as appreciative of your cats as you may be. The rental next door to us has recently had people with cats move in. Unfortunately the cats seem to like spending a large amount of time spraying, peeing and crapping all over our garden. If only our rental would allow pets, I'd get a dog!!!!

Archived