Should I just sod it and head over on a holiday visa armed with CV's...

Eddy Smirks

Hi all!

Well I'm still floating around in the background reading everyones excellent threads/info...

I'm in the process of looking for work in Oz starting September, however, although working in what seems to be a high demand industry (engineering/geology), I don't seem to be having much interest or luck with sponsored jobs :sad:

I get the impression that there are definitely jobs out there and the major sticking point is not necessarily not being in the country it's employers not wishing to take a punt on someone on the otherside of the world in case they change their mind. Having spoken to a couple of agents, there's a lot of people who test the water and then bail...

So the question is... Would I have much more luck rocking up down under with a 3 month holiday visa and armed with CV's if nothing appears before I intend to go? Anyone tried this? If that's what it takes to show a potential employer that I'm not just daydreaming on a Friday afternoon at work then perhaps that's the way forward :eek:

Anyway, have an awesome weekend!! :biggrin:

Eddy

Hi tobleroney,

Did the whole WHV thing in my early twenties (actually if I hadn't I probably wouldn't be so keen to head back over). There was another route via an engineering graduate scheme but I just miss out based on age (you need to be 31 or less). Glad it worked out for your OH though :)

I reckon if I had got a chance to chat to an employer they'd be pretty convinced I'm not just doing this on a whim. I'm not wholly averse to just heading over on holiday and meeting people but annoyingly there are extra costs associated with doing it that way - return flight instead of oneway, paying out for accomodation/living expenses whilst finding work/sorting out visa etc. I'd also have to hang fire from sending some boxes of stuff out just in case I don't find any work.

Anyway, it's early days yet. I note there's some expos coming up in July, maybe that'll give me a chance to speak to potential employers face to face.

Eddy

DIAC dont take too kindly to people who rock up on a tourist visa and then immediately set about finding work so you could, if caught, find yourself very quickly on a one way ticket back home. That's a risk you take.

Have you thought about doing it the normal way, i.e. apply for a skilled migrant visa? it does require some effort doing it this way of course.

You might get lucky with your approach but going "armed with CVs" is not a good idea as you could find yourself chucked out and banned for three years. If you get through immigration then you are limiting your market by doing things this way. To me this is a last ditch if all else has failed type of approach.

Have you thought about doing it the normal way, i.e. apply for a skilled migrant visa? it does require some effort doing it this way of course.

You might get lucky with your approach but going "armed with CVs" is not a good idea as you could find yourself chucked out and banned for three years. If you get through immigration then you are limiting your market by doing things this way. To me this is a last ditch if all else has failed type of approach.

Crikey, didn't realise it was frowned upon! That was one of the recruitment agent suggestions!! Maybe not such a good idea afterall... Perhaps I should keep plugging away from here and, like you suggest, look a bit more seriously at the skilled migrant visa. I suppose there's no point trying to get round things and totally cocking things up for myself.

Ah well... Anyway, thanks for the perspective. I'll spend the weekend looking into other (more legitimate) options :policeman:

Cheers :smile:

Eddy

Looked in to this a little bit more on the DIAC website and surely I can head over on a short stay business visa (456) for networking purposes?

I'm not intending to work whilst I'm over on the visa and I am planning on doing a bit of travelling and visitiing friends too so it seems to fit the bill. Any thoughts??

Looked in to this a little bit more on the DIAC website and surely I can head over on a short stay business visa (456) for networking purposes?

I'm not intending to work whilst I'm over on the visa and I am planning on doing a bit of travelling and visitiing friends too so it seems to fit the bill. Any thoughts??

Actually, one of my thoughts behind this is I would like to say to any potential employer"I'm heading over in September on an xxx visa and would like the opportunity to speak to you in person". I thought this would show how serious/positive I am about a move - however, if I've completely misinterpreted the intended use of these business visas I don't really want to say that :eek:

Eddy

Actually, one of my thoughts behind this is I would like to say to any potential employer"I'm heading over in September on an xxx visa and would like the opportunity to speak to you in person". I thought this would show how serious/positive I am about a move - however, if I've completely misinterpreted the intended use of these business visas I don't really want to say that :eek:

Eddy

That is not the purpose of that visa. You can't use it to look for work, it is for things like attending a conference, visiting the Australian office of your international company, carrying out specific business meetings, but not for interviewing.

There is no visa that specifically allows you to go to Australia to look for work. You can speak to employers whilst you are on holiday, but the holiday has to be the main reason for you being there it has to be the official reason.

I still do not know why you would take this approach, you are in a profession that qualifies for skilled migration. I wouldn't be spending money on a trip to Australia that may or may not pay off when I could actually just apply for the right visa in the first place.

Some people claim to have succeeded at this and I am sure they have but it's risky as basically you are looking for work on the wrong visa (some say they are seeking sponsorship but it's the same thing as seeking work) and Immigration do frown on ..it at best.... at worst is they will deport you and slap you with a 3 year ban.

Thing about looking for work/ sponsorship is most employers like to give you a trial first... a bit tempting for someone on holiday visa sure who would know? Well

1. you don't know who you are dealing with like they could be related to immigration officers and setting you up for a sting.

2. Few employers understand the sponsoring process but when it comes to the crunch they either don't qualify or it's too much hassle.

3. There are those willing to exploit.

Like the muppet on another thread that worked a full month on what he understood to be a trial for sponsorship, thought he was going to get cash in hand at least ..falling out with the employer who was within his legal right not to pay him a bean and ended up with no money and no sponsorship.

Maybe that is why immigration frown on these things it open to unfair exploitation of some desperate people.

From what you've said it definitely sounds far too risky to be too liberal with the interpretation of 'networking'. I'd no intention of doing any work when I was over but, if like you've said, DIAC take such a dim view on people talking to prospective employers then I'm not going to entertain the thought.

I still have a few irons in the fire with regards to finding work via sponsorship from the UK (although, not being negative, this is sounding like quite a bit of a long shot), kind of kicking myself that I didn't get the ball rolling on a 175 last year as essentially, come September this year, I'm in the job market be it here in the UK or overseas - bit annoying having to start a new job in the UK with the intention of only being there 12 to 18months - but hey, I'm in the lucky position of being on the SOL and definitely not in a bad position.

Many thanks for all the comments :smile:

Eddy

Archived