Nurse phone Interview!

Malkitek

Hello,

I applied for a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital last week, and have been called for an interview. they have agreed to do this by phone as i do not arrive until August.

Has anyone had a phone interview, how was it, and has anyone got any idea what kind of questions they ask in Oz nursing interviews? I imagine there will always be 'tell me about yourelf' one, but are there other subjects they always try to cover? Will I be expected to know anything about nursing in Oz?

Thanks, wee bit nervous/ excited!

Gill x

Guest robnnic

Hi gill,

Congratulations on you interview....i have got one lined up as well....scarey isn't it.

My friend had one and she said it was more getting to know you, why you want to emigrate, why adelaide, thoughts about the job, general stuff really. If they ask you any question about nursing over there and you don't know the answer, just tell them but say your really keen to find out the answer.

My worry is that they are going to ask about recent trials we have been involved in or are aware of....but i guess having a phone interview means you can have notes beside you:huh:.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nic.x.

Hi gill,

Congratulations on you interview....i have got one lined up as well....scarey isn't it.

My friend had one and she said it was more getting to know you, why you want to emigrate, why adelaide, thoughts about the job, general stuff really. If they ask you any question about nursing over there and you don't know the answer, just tell them but say your really keen to find out the answer.

My worry is that they are going to ask about recent trials we have been involved in or are aware of....but i guess having a phone interview means you can have notes beside you:huh:.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nic.x.

Hi Nic,

Ooh well done, when is yours? I think i might have preferred to skype to get some feedbck. My brother has had a non nursey one and he says the problem is when to stop talking as you keep filling the silence. ( a problem i have anyway :biggrin:)

I'm worried that we'll struggle with accents, time delay,a dn will they even manage to get through!

Good Luck!

Gill x

Guest vicstick
Hello,

I applied for a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital last week, and have been called for an interview. they have agreed to do this by phone as i do not arrive until August.

Has anyone had a phone interview, how was it, and has anyone got any idea what kind of questions they ask in Oz nursing interviews? I imagine there will always be 'tell me about yourelf' one, but are there other subjects they always try to cover? Will I be expected to know anything about nursing in Oz?

Gill x

Hi,

I had a phone interview for a clinical nurse position in Rockingham. It was interesting as the HR rand me 10 mins before scheduled interview to check phone number was correct and then emailed me the list of 7 questions. She made me read through them to her to check I had them then gave me 10 mins to prepare before the panel of 2 rang me on a 'conference' phone. All the questions were clinically based except the last which was about the Australian health and safety at work act and equal ops (worth researching!). You need to look into their quality cycle and be aware of the differences between division 1 and 2 nurses (like the older enrolled nurses we had here).

Any good luck with it,

V

Guest robnnic
Hi Nic,

Ooh well done, when is yours? I think i might have preferred to skype to get some feedbck. My brother has had a non nursey one and he says the problem is when to stop talking as you keep filling the silence. ( a problem i have anyway :biggrin:)

I'm worried that we'll struggle with accents, time delay,a dn will they even manage to get through!

Good Luck!

Gill x

I haven't got a date yet, just waiting for her to email me times and dates. I spoke to them on the phone and there was no problem with accents what so ever...and trust me...i'm not very good with different ones:eek:. The time delay wasn't that noticeable to be honest, a couple of times we talked over each other (because i was filling in the silence :twitcy:)

Good luck...let me know how you get on.

Nic

Guest robnnic
Hi,

I had a phone interview for a clinical nurse position in Rockingham. It was interesting as the HR rand me 10 mins before scheduled interview to check phone number was correct and then emailed me the list of 7 questions. She made me read through them to her to check I had them then gave me 10 mins to prepare before the panel of 2 rang me on a 'conference' phone. All the questions were clinically based except the last which was about the Australian health and safety at work act and equal ops (worth researching!). You need to look into their quality cycle and be aware of the differences between division 1 and 2 nurses (like the older enrolled nurses we had here).

Any good luck with it,

V

Gosh i'm well scared now!!!

Thanks for the tips though:wink:

Nic

Thanks for the info all, iv not started applying yet as need to sell the house and awaiting AHPRA reg. I hate interviews dont feel comfortable on the spot (suppose most of us the same) may wait until im out there. I would be interested (if you will tell) what questions are asked as some people dont give much away after the interview.

thanks Lisa

Guest robnnic
Thanks for the info all, iv not started applying yet as need to sell the house and awaiting AHPRA reg. I hate interviews dont feel comfortable on the spot (suppose most of us the same) may wait until im out there. I would be interested (if you will tell) what questions are asked as some people dont give much away after the interview.

thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I have only just sent skills assessment off so i am VERY early in the process as we are potentially going on 175 as well. however, if i don't have a job we aren't going to make the move...:cry:we feel it would be to much to risk having two children to up route them and not find employment:no:. So i posted on pomsinadelaide asking which hospitals had neonatal units and it just esculated from there...call it luck...or skill (mine :notworthy:) i don't know...but they know where i am in the process and are still interested...so be it!

Fingers crossed it all works out...and yes i will let you know what is asked.

Nic

Guest robnnic
Not sure I could answer those questions in Britain!:biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how it goes on tues (six am :err:)

Gill x

GOOD LUCK:emoticon_doctor_sna

INTERVIEW TIPS

What is the purpose of the interview?

The main purpose of the interview is to give a representative of a potential assignment hospital an opportunity to complete an assessment of your clinical skills, experience and interpersonal skills in order to decide whether to offer you a position. It’s your opportunity to present yourself in a professional manner and give the interviewers insight into your experience.

The interview is also an opportunity for you to learn more about the hospital and unit for which you are being considered to help you decide whether this is a good placement for you.

How much time will the call take?

Fifteen to thirty minutes.

How does the interviewer use the information that I provide during the call?

The interviewers will use the interview information to complement the other information that OGP has submitted on your behalf. The interviewers will have reviewed your CV and references.

How can I best succeed with the Interview?

1. PREPARE!

· Review your CV and have a copy with you during the interview. Write down a few questions to ask. Don’t trust your memory. You may be nervous and forget what you planned to ask.

· Gather some information about the hospital and the region and community in which it is located. The hospital may have a website. Make note of the information which O’Grady-Peyton provides about the hospital and location. Make sure that you are familiar with the hospital by reading all the information provided on the website. The hospital will almost always ask you what you know about them. Please also research the location thoroughly, as the interviewer will ask you about your motivation to move to this location. Please DO NOT answer this question with “climate” or “weather”. It does not give the right impression to the hospital.

· Hospitals in Australia often ask about clients. Clients could mean private patients who are paying for their hospital treatment, or the Consultants.

· Some of the hospitals in Australia are also very keen on talking about mission statements. Be sure to read the information that is sent you on the hospital and learn the mission statement.

· If possible, practice an interview with a colleague or another person. Let that person play the role of the interviewer, using some of the questions included in this guide.

2. Listen carefully to the question. If you do not understand what is meant by the question, identify what it is that you did not understand (for example a particular term). It is better to say specifically what you did not understand than to just say “I don’t understand,” to say nothing, or to guess at the intention of the question. As a matter of safety and professionalism, nurses are expected to ask questions and ask for clarification whenever they are uncertain of the meaning of instructions, orders or other directions.

3. Speak up assertively. Nurses are expected to act assertively (not aggressively) to protect patient safety and to assure that they practice safely by acting within their level of competence and confidence.

4. Prepare to give answers that go beyond a “yes” or “no” response. For example, if the interviewer asks, “Do you have charge experience?” Instead of simply saying, “Yes,” you might describe the experience you have had. “For the past 2 years, I have frequently been in charge of a 36-bed unit on the evening shift (3 p.m. – 11 p.m.). When I’m in charge, I make assignments for the staff, communicate with the doctors and give medications.” Keep your answer concise, but give a little information to describe your experience.

5. If you have not had the specific experience that the interviewer is asking about, but have experience or skill that is relevant, tell the interviewer about it. For example, suppose the interviewer asks whether you’ve had experience with computerized documentation systems and you have not. Instead of simply saying, “No,” you might say (if the following is true) “The hospital where I’m working now does not use a computerized documentation system, but I’ve been using a PC for the past 3 years and I find it easy to learn new programs.” At least let the interviewer know if you have any relevant experience and that you are interested in learning.

6. Show interest in the hospital and the area in which it is located. Locate the region and city on a map. The World Wide Web will be a good resource. Many hospitals have websites. Make note of the information which O’Grady-Peyton gives you about the hospital and location so that you can ask a question or make a comment. Make sure you research about the hospital and the area.

7. Think through the interview in advance and prepare to ask questions. Think about your present job. Can you think of any questions you wish you had asked before you took the job? If so, some of those same questions might be relevant as you consider the position for which you are interviewing. Some of the questions that might help you gain information include:

a. Orientation: How long will my orientation be? Please tell me about the orientation process.

b. Please describe a typical patient on this unit. What other disease conditions and treatments are frequently seen on the unit?

c. What is a typical RN patient load on the unit?

d. What is the typical staffing for the unit? (That is, how many other RNs? What other levels of personnel?)

e. What are the duties of non-RN staff with whom I will be working?

f. Will I have opportunities to cross-train for other units/specialties?

g. What continuing education opportunities are available at the hospital?

h. Will I be expected to float to other units? If yes, which other units? How often?

i. How soon will I be expected to take charge of the unit? What do the charge nurse responsibilities include?

The interviewers will probably give you much of the information in these questions as the interview proceeds. You certainly do not need to ask all of the questions above, but asking a few questions show your interest and enthusiasm and also give you some important information.

What kind of questions should I expect?

Questions about Your Skills

The interviewer may ask you about:

• Questions about the information you provided on your cv
  • Questions about specialty-specific skills that is especially important on the unit for which you are interviewing. Depending upon the unit, you may be asked about your experience with IV pumps, heparin drips, specific drugs, and specific types of surgery, lab value interpretation or other skills which are important on the unit.
  • Some of the specific skills interviewers often ask about include:
    • IV Insertion
    • IV Infusion Pumps
    • Physical Assessment
    • Interpretation of Laboratory Results
    • Cardiac Arrest
    • Defibrillation
    • CVP lines and PICC lines
    • Administration of Blood and Blood Products
    • Medications: Typical Drugs and Routes of Administration
    • The Care of a Typical Patient in the Unit
    • Documentation and Computerized Documentation
    • Critical Care Skills (if you are interviewing for a critical care position), such as:
      • Ventilators
      • Hemodynamic monitoring
      • Cardiac monitoring
      • Cardiac assessment, neurological assessment

o Labor and Delivery Skills (if you are interviewing for a critical care position), such as electronic fetal monitoring.

o And, additional skills specific to the position or specialty for which you are interviewing.

Questions about Your Experience

The interviewer may ask you about:

• The type of unit and facility in which you are currently working and your typical duties there.
  • The methods you use for documenting patient care.
  • Explain your role and/or job description
  • The nature of your unit management responsibilities, if any.
  • What nursing models do you use in the UK/Ireland?
  • Whether you have “charge” experience. The interviewer may ask if you “take off orders” or “pick up orders” meaning, “Do you receive written and/or verbal orders from doctors, act on the orders, and/or communicate the orders to other staff members as appropriate?”

Situational Questions

Some interviewers ask questions about what you would do if you found yourself in a particular situation with a patient or with some other member of the healthcare team.

A sample might be : “is there something in your past experience/learning that you have used to improve your current practice?”

The purpose of asking you about hypothetical situations is to give you an opportunity to describe your professional behavior when clinical or interpersonal situations arise.

Specific Hospitals and their questions

Hospitals have been asking “why this location?” and also have asked questions around ethical dilemmas in nursing, so be prepared to answer these questions fully and demonstrate an understanding.

To Summarize:

- Be prepared

- Be early… Make sure you have provided the correct telephone number and are at the phone on time. Not being there for the call on time not only implies a lack of enthusiasm and poor organization, it will also mean that you start your interview in the wrong frame of mind. If you are having a telephone interview, make sure that you are ready in advance, are in a quiet place with no one to disturb you. Make sure there is no background noise, and speak steadily and clearly.

- Be confident... Well qualified nurses can sometimes miss out on opportunities because they have undersold themselves. The interviewer wants to see confidence. Remember that you are a good nurse, (or you wouldn’t have been selected for interview) who is there to make a positive impact on the hospital. Don’t be shy; Offering a warm greeting and firm handshake will start you off on the right foot.

- Be positive… If you speak negatively about your present hospital or colleagues, the interviewer may assume that this is how you would be speaking about them. They want to employ people who will fit in well with their team and get on with people. Give a good impression of yourself by being positive about others.

- Be curious… The interviewer will want to see that you have taken an interest in the hospital. By having a few questions prepared, you will demonstrate interest, confidence and communication ability - three very important factors in getting you the job.

You will need to demonstrate to the hospital that you are an ideal candidate for the position being interviewed for. Hospitals in Australia are experiencing large numbers of high quality applications, and can afford to be very choosey. You will have to sell yourself, your skills and experience to the interviewer if you wish to be selected.

Best wishes for success with your interview!

Guest robnnic

Malkitek, How did you get on???? I have just had an email and they want to do mine wednesday morning...but i can't because i am on night shift...hope it doesn't go against me...should do though.

Fingers crossed for you.x.x.x

Hi

I'm sure they'll change it!

Had mine this morning, on virtually no sleep as was convinced I had worked out the time difference wrongly!

Was quite like an interview here really, and time lag and accents weren't a problem. (for me anyway!)

They asked me to tell them a bit about myelf, and then following that how I saw my career progressing?

Was then asked what I thought made a good nurse, then good leader, then good team.

They asked if I had any hobbies and what I did to relieve stress. (drink?)

Was asked to think of a scenario where I had to resolve a conflict.

Was told a bit about the job, and the ward, was asked if had any family support in S.A?

Was asked when I could start! (for orientation)

Unit manager asked me about my experience with a particular Stroke treatment, and that was it!

All very friendly and chatty. I will know if I was any good by the end of the week!

At least I now know their questions aren't so different?

Good luck for yours!

Gill x

Hello,

Gill x

Congratulations Gill and good luck! Won't be long until you're basking in the australian sun:cute:

Guest robnnic

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:notworthy:

WOW its all come together hey...well done you.

I have my interview tomorrow....at 5.30am!:eek: Mines is for Flinders in Adelaide.x.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:notworthy:

WOW its all come together hey...well done you.

I have my interview tomorrow....at 5.30am!:eek: Mines is for Flinders in Adelaide.x.

Oh good luck! Let me know how you get on!

You'll be just down the road from me!

Gill x

Archived