Winter coat - need one?

MikeW

Hi,

We have the packers coming tomorrow and I'm wandering whether we need to take our winter coats as hand luggage (or suitcase) or send them on the container.

Do you need a big winter coat in Canberra this time of the year? They are quite bulky items to take as hand luggage (suit case)!

Thanks,

Mike.

Absolutely,

Canberra is freezing in winter. The coldest city in Aus I think.

It gets well below 0 degrees celsius overnight and max of 7 or 8 degrees or less during the day.

You definately need a good coat.

Wear it on to the plane and take it off on board.

Thanks. I have been listening to ABC news radio on the internet and they mentioned a couple of roads were closed in Canberra due to heavy snow! When I looked on the 5 day weather forecast though it never mentioned snow...

We'll wear our winter coats on the plane...

Thanks. I have been listening to ABC news radio on the internet and they mentioned a couple of roads were closed in Canberra due to heavy snow! When I looked on the 5 day weather forecast though it never mentioned snow...

Maybe they were talking about roads from Canberra to the ski resorts in the Snowy Mountains? Canberra can get very frosty: I think they've had a couple of -6 or -7 C overnight already this winter.

YES!!!

It's cold here atm and the last day or so we've had bitter, bitter winds so the apparent temp has been around freezing or below during the day. There is no snow in Canberra (in a valley) but they have closed roads around the surrounding Brindabella ranges yesterday due to snow. We're having very heavy frosts also. It reminds me of the UK in late November, lol.

MikeW

A winter coat is a definite for most people (the cold doesn't bother me but then I don't use buses and, so, I don't stand around in the cold much). Most people wear winter coats in the mornings/evenings when temps are low. Apart from times when it's windy, some winter days are very pleasant during the late morning to mid-afternoon period. I think Qoull's advice of wearing layers of clothing tha you can peel off when required is sound advice.

Absolutely! And your damart thermal underwear (I jest not!). You will find that houses are generally much harder to heat and even the best insulated ones still struggle a bit - last night for example, our usually nicely warm house was 2 hours late getting the fire going and we could feel it - so much so that DH even put a blanket on his side of the bed.

When I went to UK last year I bought a down jacket which squished up into nothing in the back pack and something like that would be a good move. I never actually wore it in UK despite going at both cold ends of the year and I wish I had brought it back both for last winter and for this one!

Absolutely,

Canberra is freezing in winter. The coldest city in Aus I think.

It gets well below 0 degrees celsius overnight and max of 7 or 8 degrees or less during the day.

You definately need a good coat.

Wear it on to the plane and take it off on board.

Nah, I swear that Ballarat is colder!!!

Guest lisamhall5225

absolutely bring a coat... its freezing first thing in the morning and at night... however during the day today I was wearing a t shirt and a hoodie and I was perfectly warm in the sunshine, think it just depends on the wind factor

hope this helps

Archived