Relationship break up - what now?

Guest Caroline75

Guest Caroline75

Hi all

I moved here in March last year and am on a 572 student visa studying a Diploma that expires in March next year. I intended to apply for the 573 to continue my degree (COE already, great grades) at that time.

Unfortunately my relationship just broke down (guess a year here can drive you crazy) and I'm not sure what to do. My ex-partner is on MY visa de-facto. We are definitely not getting back together but I wish them no harm. However - I don't fancy them running round town with another girl on the back of my visa, if you know what I mean.

Also, my employer (same field as Diploma/degree) has offered to sponsor me :). As I'm not yet highly skilled nor 2 yrs full time educated, I don't think I've a chance to get it through, but I'd like to know what anyone else's thoughts/experiences are with this? I've been there only a few months, love it, can see my future there and of course, being able to work more than 20hrs may ease the single life expenses.

so.. few questions:

1-What happens if I tell immigration we've split?

2-How long does my ex have in the country if they cant find sponsorship/study?

3-What happens if I don't tell them?

4-Will it damage me if they called round tomorrow and we're not together??

5-Is it wise to apply for sponsorship now, or wait til after 1July?

6-What can I do to make myself more sponsorship-ready?

7-Is it wisest to wait another year and a half until I've a degree and then pursue sponsorship?

I would really appreciate people's feedback at this difficult time for me.

Thanks

You (and your ex) are supposed to keep DIAC informed of any major change in circumstances, and a relationship break-up would come under this category. Not telling DIAC could make things difficult for you when you apply for your next visa.

Generally you (in this case your ex) have 28days to leave the country or apply for an alternative visa once your visa is invalidated.

Sorry I'm entirely sure about the requirements for the sponsorship visas, hopefully someone else will come along with more info.

Guest Caroline75

What if they don't have the funds to get an alternative visa? Would DIAC give them time to raise funds given the circumstances? I really don't wish to be heartless, regardless of the circumstances.

Guest Caroline75

Damn. I really don't want to be funny about this, but it looks like I'll need to look after my interests first if I'm to make my life here.

Any input re the sponsorship question?

Damn. I really don't want to be funny about this, but it looks like I'll need to look after my interests first if I'm to make my life here.

Any input re the sponsorship question?

Absolutely you do have to look after number 1 because no one else is going to look after it for you!

Your ex can certainly try and get sponsorship in his own right but the rules say 28 days so if he can manage it in that time he is laughing if not then he can use his dollars to depart and maybe try and come back at some later stage. I am assuming you dont have kids together because that could make things a little trickier

Guest Caroline75

Sincerely doubt that my ex would get sponsorship, casual worker in hospitality.

No kids, pets or even plants, thankfully.

Well it looks like I have to make the phone call.

Sincerely doubt that my ex would get sponsorship, casual worker in hospitality.

No kids, pets or even plants, thankfully.

Well it looks like I have to make the phone call.

If he's under 30 he could get a WHV for 12 months

Guest Caroline75

Nope, we're both 35. We came over together on separate student visas, then when we realised we could be on the same one, ex dropped study (immediately, and happy to, as only IELTS course).

Guest NeilEB

I would definitely inform DIAC - don't think of it as being mean and heartless, think of it as you playing by the rules so that you aren't caused problems later on.

It kinda sucks, but that's the issue with temporary visas I'm afraid.

Guest siamsusie
Nope, we're both 35. We came over together on separate student visas, then when we realised we could be on the same one, ex dropped study (immediately, and happy to, as only IELTS course).

Hi Caroline,

My advice is always seek the advice of a registered Migration Agent before having any dealings with DIAC.

Susie x

Guest NeilEB
Hi Caroline,

My advice is always seek the advice of a registered Migration Agent before having any dealings with DIAC.

Susie x

Susie,

Whilst I agree with the sentiment usually, most Agents would require a fee woul;dn't they? Sure they might give generic advice, but I'm sure most would require a fee to look into the specifics of the case.

In this case, Caroline has a visa, and her ex is her de-facto. If they have now split up, I'm not sure what choice there is apart from informing DIAC. Besides, Caroline wont be affected, the visa is hers. And it's not being cruel, or harsh to her, ex, it's just life - they are no longer together, and therefore she has to inform DIAC.

Just not sure it's worth paying an agent in this example. Now, the ex should probably get in touch with an agent immediately, and it would be nice of Caroline to inform the ex she is about to tell DIAC.....

Guest siamsusie

Neil,

I dont think we have the details, and hopefully the ex and Caroline have parted amicably , I really dont know.

Talking it through with the ex would give him the opportunity of doing what is best for them both.

Whilst in sentiment I agree with you and of course DIAC eventually have to be told, I always feel that for a few bucks it gives them both the opportunity of discussing the situation to see if there are any alternatives before DIAC are involved. Nothing stopping the ex paying is there??

It is a forum, therefore these are only ideas bandied about Neil!

Susie

Guest NeilEB

Ahh that's a good point - I was just worried that Caroline may make her next application harder by not being honest now.

But I guess a quick chat with an agent couldn't hurt :-)

Guest Caroline75

I have some good news.. I had a chat with the boss today and he's definitely wanting to sponsor me, so we're getting cracking on the application for the company first. When I've more time working with them and when I've passed my Diploma (first year of degree) he'll nominate me. :)

Still umming and aahing about informing DIAC immediately, I mean after being split only 3weeks it is plausible we could get back together, right? I've let my ex know my plans and that if we're not back together then they need to find another visa asap (how bitchy does that sound) as either way I'll be applying for a new visa and will not be applying with defacto again.

Thanks for letting me rant and your advice. I knew it would be difficult.

Guest NeilEB
(how bitchy does that sound)

Don't think it sounds bitchy at all - if you're not together he can't be on your defacto.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me - don't be too hard on yourself :cute:

Caroline, I would just make sure that you've informed DIAC before the new visa application goes in.

Good luck with everything. And do bear in mind that your ex did know the implications of being on your visa when he chose to give up his student visa.

Archived