Australia will send children to Malaysia in asylum deal

thewebweazel

Guest John Farley

Seems strange that Labor are going to do this after years of vilifying the Howard Government

Guest siamsusie

Malaysia, has not signed the United Nations Convention on Human Rights and has a history of caning asylum seekers.

Quote from Amnesty Interantional..

"Immigration Minister Chris Bowen's confirmation on the ABC's Lateline program that children will not be spared from being sent to Malaysia under the asylum seeker swap is deeply disturbing, Amnesty International has said.

“Australia will be sending children into an extremely vulnerable situation – especially girls,” said Amnesty International Australia's refugee spokesman Dr Graham Thom.

“On top of the well-documented human rights abuses faced by all asylum seekers in Malaysia, unaccompanied women and girls face extraordinary levels of sexual violence and sexual harassment.”

There are currently 17 children on Christmas Island who have arrived since the deal was announced. Girls are among nine unaccompanied minors.

“With no family to protect them and no legal rights under Malaysian law, refugee women and girls will be at the mercy of gangs and officials who target them knowing they have nowhere to turn,” Graham Thom said."

I think it's vile. Unless for the most serious crime, where someone may need to be protected, children should not be under lock and key.

I can see children being trafficked into prostitution and working in sweat shops!

Guest famousfive

This is absolutely wrong on so many levels.It is not just wrong to deal with children in this way but wrong to even consider this option for any asylum seeker.How low are this bunch of morons willing to go?When are they going to wake up to the fact that they are dealing with people......not just numbers on a page.We should all be ashamed if this is allowed to happen.

Guest chris955

I dont think the Government care as long as they can pass the buck and appear to have 'solved' the problem. As far as the general populous, well some will care, some wont and others wont even know anything about it.

Guest John Farley
The question is whether it is only the OZ immigration that has these archaic / conservative views or does it extend to government and the general populous?

It is the Government, Chris Bowen is the Labor minister for immigration

I dont think the Government care as long as they can pass the buck and appear to have 'solved' the problem. As far as the general populous, well some will care, some wont and others wont even know anything about it.

:sad: I was shocked by the some of my relatives (immigrants themselves)in OZ by the callous derogatory way that they refered to the Boat people / asylum seekers and indigenous peoples, I did make my distaste known, but it did leave me wondering whether OZ will have such and adverse effect to my way of thinking and whether it is a good idea to emigrate at all.

Archived