Direct Entry Midwives

midwifey

Hello!

I am just about to qualify as a midwife, i was not a nurse first so i have done the 3 year course. I just wondered if there is any midwives out there that know about the acceptance of direct entry midwives in Oz and how much experience is generally required. I already have a job secured in the UK which i want to work in for a year but i am desperate to move to Australia so dont want to leave it much longer than this. Also, my partner does not hold a job on the skilled occupation list, would he be eligible to come over on my visa? We are living together but are not married. I would be really grateful for any help. I have looked in so many places for information and i keep getting different answers!

Your partner if you qualify as defacto, which it sounds like you do if you live together, would come on your visa. I'm not a midwife and dont know much of the assessment process but if you have no experience would you pass a skills assessment and meet the requirements of DIAC?

Dear Midwifery,

Hi, I am also a direct entry midwife due to finish August 2012. I have heard and spoke to some direct entry midwives who have got jobs as soon as qualified, without any experience

mainly in Perth where there has been more demand.

However, as shel has pointed out without the required work experience you won’t be able to get a PR visa (see link) you would need to obtain sponsorship. I am not sure of the current amount of jobs available in OZ at present maybe someone who is there can answer that? But I do check jobs ads quite often and have noticed in the last 6 months or so for the area where I am looking (Brisbane) the wording has changed stating a requirement for work experience whereas previously you seemed able to get work straight from uni.

I won’t get the required amount of points but we are hoping to go on OH job and I would go on his visa, we also are not married but living together so that just as good, if you can prove it.

What area are you thinking of moving to?

Tina, Family of Five

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-fact.pdf

Guest jooby

If you wanted to go regional NSW there are tons of midwife jobs - regional sponsored visas are quick to process and permanent jobs available.

I started off in Sydney, moved to WA and ended up in country NSW. Found the attraction of cities wore off very quickly due to massive commutes and spent so much money on rent it wasn't funny.

Anyway, if anyone's interested my hospital can offer sponsorship to new grad and experienced midwives. It's not near the beach or a big city. But lifestyle wise e.g. cost of living, good schools, low crime, "aussie" feel, it's pretty good. And NSW pays the best rates for midwifery in the country! PM me if you would like any further info.

Guest jooby
If you wanted to go regional NSW there are tons of midwife jobs - regional sponsored visas are quick to process and permanent jobs available.

I started off in Sydney, moved to WA and ended up in country NSW. Found the attraction of cities wore off very quickly due to massive commutes and spent so much money on rent it wasn't funny.

Anyway, if anyone's interested my hospital can offer sponsorship to new grad and experienced midwives. It's not near the beach or a big city. But lifestyle wise e.g. cost of living, good schools, low crime, "aussie" feel, it's pretty good. And NSW pays the best rates for midwifery in the country! PM me if you would like any further info.

PS I was direct entry too - no problems getting a job out here, all UK midwives are very highly thought of. Only an issue if you want to work at some tiny place in the middle of nowhere where they want midwives to work elsewhere in the hospital...

Hi,

Thank you so much for the information, it has given me a bit of hope that it won’t take me 4 years to get out there! I am also considering coming out there on a trial basis on a working holiday visa which would be a lot simpler. Does anyone know if I would have to register with anyone else other than ANMAC (aside from an agency)? Thanks

Hi,

Thank you so much for the information, it has given me a bit of hope that it won’t take me 4 years to get out there! I am also considering coming out there on a trial basis on a working holiday visa which would be a lot simpler. Does anyone know if I would have to register with anyone else other than ANMAC (aside from an agency)? Thanks

Hiya, you only need your skills assessed with ANMAC if you are applying for a permanent residency visa. If you are going on a working holiday visa, you just need to apply to AHPRA for your midwifery registration. I'd advise you do this as soon as you receive registration from the NMC, as it seems quite a long process from what other forum users have described. There's a long thread on this forum about applying for nursing/midwifery registration with AHPRA if you are interested:cute:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sevans

Sorry new to this how do I PM you?

Archived