Can I pay a UK cheque into an Oz bank account ?

Goochie

If I open an Aussie account from the UK before leaving, can I pay in a cheque thats' made out in pounds? Obviously I know the bank will make a small charge and the exchange rate goes up and down etc.

But is this actually possible, or can an Australian account only accept payments/transfers in AUD ?

Guest Guest31881

You can pay a cheque in to the bank in any currency, yes there will be a charge for dealing with it. I have just paid a cheque in to my bank in £ sterling. no problems just pay the fees.

Guest Guest31881

I think that depends on your banks systems, personally I would allow 10 days to be sure, but In theory it should clear within hours, but you know what banks are like for holding onto money.

Hi

with NAB it cost $10 to pay a uk cheque in, top tip tho you can pay up to 3 cheques on one slip so only one fee, ideal for christmas and birthdays when grandparents seems to send money.

Also NAB you sign a declaration and they clear the funds to your account immediately even tho it takes a week or two to process, basically you sign to say you will give the money back if the cheque bounces

Claire x

• 8 years later...

Hi, I see that this is an old topic.  I’ve just been advised by Suncorp Bank that from 1 March 2020 they can no longer accept UK cheque’s.   does anyone know how we can deposit my husbands pension cheque which we expect in the mail soon ?   It’s all very frustrating 

26 minutes ago, Norwich18 said:

Hi, I see that this is an old topic.  I’ve just been advised by Suncorp Bank that from 1 March 2020 they can no longer accept UK cheque’s.   does anyone know how we can deposit my husbands pension cheque which we expect in the mail soon ?   It’s all very frustrating 

Contact them and ask them to pay the pension directly into your bank account instead 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norwich18 said:

We did.  They said they could only pay by cheque 👎🏻

If you are talking about a UK GOV pension payment, Marisa is correct, they will and do pay directly into foreign bank accounts.

Do you mean a private work's pension from a UK employer ?

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Contact them and ask them to pay the pension directly into your bank account instead 

Hi Marisa.  I must apologise for not thanking you for responding.  I was feeling very stressed out by the whole thing, but that’s no excuse for my rudeness.  Thank you 🙂👍

Thank you for responding.  Yes, it’s a private pension.  Santander.  

That explains the issue then. We have the same issue but in reverse, my husbands Australian Super Fund (private pension) will not pay into our UK bank account, this is common with many super funds so we've been told. 

Hi Marisa.  I must apologise for not thanking you for responding.  I was feeling very stressed out by the whole thing, but that’s no excuse for my rudeness.  Thank you 🙂👍

Not at all.  How antiquated to only pay by cheque!   

Visit the other banks in your area and ask them if they accept foreign cheques.  When you find one that does, go to Suncorp and tell them you want to switch your account to the other bank, and explain the reason. Suncorp may suddenly have a change of heart!  If they do, your problem is solved. If not, you will need to switch banks - but don't worry, they make it very easy these days. 

Alternatively, do you have a relative in the UK whom you could nominate as the payee?   Then they can bank the money in their UK account and send you the money via Moneycorp (no fees if they join through these forums).

Hi Marisa.   Suncorp’s response From today, the 1st of March 2020, we will no longer accept cheques from the UK. This is due to a system change in the UK which no longer allows us to process these cheques.

my husbands family live in UK   I will check with other banks first   The pension company are not very helpful   Because Paul is getting a full payout they will only pay by cheque.   If no success with any Australian banks we will contact Santander and ask if cheque can be made payable to third party   It’s just so darn stressful   It’s taken from late December 2019 just to get paperwork sent to us, sorted and sent back.   I’ll let you know outcome.   Could be helpful for other site members 👍

• Like 1

Hi All.   Success with CUA.  Just need to open account in Husband’s name only (as cheque will be payable to him.  Apparently 6-8 week wait for clearance.   It’s the usual wait.  Not sure of fees but I’m sure there will be some.   Thank you to all who responded.  Now to wait for the actual cheque! 😂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just paid my UK tax rebate into St George, similar to what others have said, they reckon it will take about six weeks to clear.

An interesting quote from the cashier though, he reckons that they will use the exchange rate as it was when the cheque was issued (25/3/20)! I find that hard to believe, but I’ll accept it as the rate was about 15c higher than it is now!

2 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

Just paid my UK tax rebate into St George, similar to what others have said, they reckon it will take about six weeks to clear.

An interesting quote from the cashier though, he reckons that they will use the exchange rate as it was when the cheque was issued (25/3/20)! I find that hard to believe, but I’ll accept it as the rate was about 15c higher than it is now!

We finally got the cheque cashed.  Took just over 8 weeks, but with Easter break and Covid-19 it wasn’t too bad a wait.   Alas, CUA used the existing rate (.54) as at the time we deposited cheque the exchange rate was hovering around .50.   All the best 

• Like 1