So close, so why now do i feel this way?

rinkerdink

Hi,

We have had the everything finalised now for over 3 weeks so with any luck the visa grant is imminent, we've been working towards this for 2&1/2 years so why now am i questioning whether we are ever going to go?

The thought of the cost of a 3 week recce trip this year (£4k flights + £4k accom and spending money) is making me feel sick - for the reasons below we must have really good look before we commit.

I am looking at the cost of living/ wages and the amount in $ we will have to set ourselves up (the exchange rate was very different when we started the process!) and wondering if we are deluding ourselves heading for a slow lingering financial suicide before a return to the UK with our tails between our legs.

I have worked so hard and done so many hours all towards this goal just not sure it will all be worth it anymore....

In a way having our application declined might come as a relief and certainly wouldn't be the disaster I once thought it would be.

Am I alone?

I think what you are feeling is very normal...something would certainly be very wrong if you had no worries about the final destination....like you say you have been doing this for so long therefore it means so much to you therefore you have reservations....we have been doing this also for many years and we were really worried about even passing our meds cos one of our children is autistic...we had our meds med and visa granted same day and sold house 3 days later...so we are going through all these emotions right now... its so hard to know if you are doing the right thing...but the way I see it is that you will never know unless you give it a go and at least you will have no regrets... I spent all my childhood listening to my parents talking about what they could have done and how they regret not... I don't want my children to hear me saying the same.. thats why we have to make a really good go of if all. good luck with everything

Julie

Guest Sebbers

It is normal to feel that way, we have been here 3 weeks now after it took 4 years for us to finally get here. Financially, we are in a very different position than we would have been had the housing market not crashed in the uk not to mention the exchange rate. I have no regrets about moving when we did as I think had we waited another year or so, our eldest wouldn't have come with us which would have made me question whether I was prepared to leave her or not. It doesn't feel like home yet as we've not set down roots, however, I am glad we've done it, I may have a different view in a few months from now, who knows. Before we left the uk I was worried about what people would think if we failed and had to return penniless and homeless but that feeling has gone now at least we've had the balls to give it a go, whatever the final outcome may be.

We r the same we got our visa in feb after a 2 1/2 year wait we hoped I would fail my medical so the decision would be made for us. Our daughter is 8 and we have a great life and no money worries. We both have lots if work and we enjoy lots of great holidays and have a fantastic close family. My sister is in Sydney and we did love our last visit. We r going in oct for another reccie but the decision is huge. We don't want to miss out on an opportunity and don't want to regret not doing it. But so so so difficult. I think we will go and give it a try x best of luck with ur decision making

I did not have a long wait for my visa, we got it in less than a year. But towards the end I was wondering why I had ever started it and there was a bit of me that was hoping I would fail the medical and get turned down. When we got our grant letter I really did not feel all "woohoo" like so many people do. I wished I could feel more like those people that were so excited and full of celebration. We went through the motions of celebration but I didn't really feel it.

Anyway, we went ahead with validation trip and moved out shortly afterwards as we found jobs on the validation trip. We are both really enjoying life here, I am not ready to say we will never go back, but I can't imagine it at the moment.

Guest Joe B

Its the big question. When the dust settles after all the upheavel and emotional turmoil, will you be up or down ? Only time will answer this one, but you'll get to test yourselves and know yourselves better than you ever have before in the process, and I reckon be stronger for it no matter whch way it goes. I think the answer will be some bits yer up and some your down, and youve just got to work hard and be very aware so that the bits you are up in are the bigees and the most important things to yourselves. If you can do this, then all the smaller losses will be out weighed and it will pay off. Thats how im viewing it anyway. We move out to Sydney in August. Were out of our house in 3 weeks and are (all 4 of us) bunking up in my dads spare room till then. For me, this is what lifes all about though. Were very comfortable and happy here (house paid off, good job, good friends) but I think we can be anywhere. Its the journey of strippin it all down and building it up again and testing ourselves that excites me. Getting a dual nationality for the family is also big for the kids future options. I cant think of a better present for them. If their not academic kids ultimately I want them to be able to lead a fullfilling and happy life no matter what they end up doing and I think the chances of being able to do this are much greater in Oz. Were going to have an initial 2 year plan, try not to put too much pressure on ourselves and see what we can magic up. If it ultimately doesn't turn out when youve given it your best, you come back and pick up where you left off. The adventure cost you a few grand, but you'll have grown massively as people

Enough of my ramblin. Hope it helped a little anyhow. Cheers and good luck x

Thanks for all your replies,

Wow so I'm not alone! A few of your experiences really struck a chord, 2 months ago i'd have been popping corks and going on a bender but can see the celebrations being a bit flat now. Should go on the hard recce trip in October and do some serious calculations and if nothing else we'll have had a lovely holiday and will have optons open for the next couple of years - is it still the case that a 5 year visa extention is simple as long as you have a total of 2 years residency on current visa?

Good luck everybody and thanks for the reassurance and empathy

Cheers

You're definitely not alone..... For nearly 3 years all we focused on was moving to Australia and even though when we got the grant we were excited...all of a sudden it was like "sh*t... this is HUGE" and Is this the right thing to do......

However 12 weeks in and despite selling our house for a far lousier price than we would have liked and the exchange rate being naff, so we didn't bring nearly as much money as we would have liked, we have no regrets..... generally speaking we are doing better financially each week than we ever did in the UK.... yeah so things are more expensive, but it's all relative to what you can earn here (hubby earns 3.5 times what he did in the UK and I don't have to work here) .... so as long you've done your homework on what your job will pay you over here and researching housing costs in the area you want to go to then you should do fine. If you can't earn a great deal more over here than you do in the UK then you might struggle....sorry don't know what your "trade" is you see....

Good luck with the imminent grant and reccie and yes once you've validated you have a few years to take up residency (five years from the date of grant I think)

I'll be lucky to get 2x my basic wage (£40k) and i've pulled in 1&3/4 that the past couple of years but hours have been a strain and as the wife says if i have to work as hard in oz so the rest of the family can have the 'life' then there isn't any point us all going, bless her and i agree. Money is my main concern if i'm honest, from speaking to freinds that moved out recently there doesn't seem to be much if anything left once the essentials are paid for. They are in brisbane but i'd be interested in how the disposable income stacks up with a nice 4 bed in a decent area of Perth (and suburbs) on around $80k obviously given lots of generalisations :-)

You are not alone. We got our grant this week after a 2 and a bit years process. Since initially being pleased I've been deflated and anxious. There just seems so much to do before we go - planning on August 2012 - and suddenly things here don't seem so bad. Strangely in the past 6 months both me and OH have jobs we love, social life is great, disposable income is great. It almost feels like another test! Ultimately though I am 99% sure we will go. I'm with the other people on this thread - if we don't try it we'll regret it. Times will be tough, money will be tight but we're going to have an adventure!

You are not alone. We got our grant this week after a 2 and a bit years process. Since initially being pleased I've been deflated and anxious. There just seems so much to do before we go - planning on August 2012 - and suddenly things here don't seem so bad. Strangely in the past 6 months both me and OH have jobs we love, social life is great, disposable income is great. It almost feels like another test! Ultimately though I am 99% sure we will go. I'm with the other people on this thread - if we don't try it we'll regret it. Times will be tough, money will be tight but we're going to have an adventure!

Uncanny, exactly the same bar the visa (soon hopefully!) and the planned permanent move date, we are looking September-ish 2012.

I have had a PM that has gone some way to relieving some of the worries and I suppose untill you jump you will never know for sure, I still expect us to go but it isn't the rock solid slamdunk decision it once was... perhaps that a good thing!

Archived