Can we return to live in Oz after 5-yr rentry visa expiry 8 years ago?

barbaitch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just want to say a very Big THANK YOU to everyone who's added their good luck wishes to my post! It's a nice feeling to know we're not on this crazy ride all on our own!

Good luck, also, to BackToAdelaide, who's about to embark on The Big Adventure to dear old Oz! I take it - if your PIO username is anything to go by - that this isn't your first foray into the Land Down Under??

From the dates you've given, it sounds as though the whole application process has been pretty quick for you. That's great!

I'm hoping my post reaches Terri (PingPongPom2) - whose own post (the one I came across when I first came across PIO and which got me started on my own application for a RRV) and subsequent encouragement and advice, directly led me to down the road I'm on right now!! Whatever the outcome of our own application, I'm a bit wiser now than I was before it all started.

Thanks again, PIO!

PS: While I'm dishing out the Thankyous, I'd just like to throw one in for Gill, PIO's fab Wonder-Woman, Gollywobbler! That woman deserves a medal for all the sound, sterling advice she so generously gives! I'm thinking: Dame Gollywobbler, For Services to Migration to Oz!! Yep, that has a nice ring to it!! x:hug::notworthy:

I'm from Adelaide actually :) Moved to the UK 7 years ago and now moving back, with English fiance along for the ride. Certainly excited to be moving back home!

Agree with your comments about Gollywobbler. Her knowledge and willingness to help is amazing!

Hi everybody,

where is actually Gollywobbler/Gill??? That person was really amazing with great knowledge?

I miss her contributions.....

Alex

Hi Alex2010: Gollywobbler (Gill) is now contributing to Poms in Adelaide, PIO's sister site. She's like every would-be migrant's Mother Christmas, spreading good migration advice far and wide. What a saint she is - and she does it all for the love of migrant-kind - and her dear old Mum!

• 1 month later...
Barbaitch,

Any news yet?

TheVet

Bless you for asking, TheVet. Well, my husband and I (sound like The Queen don't I?!) have been in Adelaide for 5wks 1day now and yesterday was our cut-off date for the '10-yer absence from living in Oz since expiry of last RRV' condition, and we were hoping to have heard by now (given that our agent submitted our application on Friday the 13th. Ooh that date sounds ominous, so hope I've got it wrong!), from DIAC, but still no news yet. He said it should take 2 weeks to get a result... but so far, we've heard nothing, so have fingers and toes crossed that we'll hear something by Tuesday 29 Nov.

It's been a nail-biting 5 weeks since we've been here, so hopefully it won't be for much longer before we hear, one way or another.

All of our PIO friends have been so great since I made my first post about our situation. Whatever the result, I'll keep you posted.

All the best to you all, and particularly you, TheVet, for asking in the first place!!

xx

Barbaitch, you guys getting another RRV means a lot to me as I have parents in the uk getting old (75). Their 5year multiple-entry perm res ozzie visa expired 10yrs ago after they returned to uk after 1 year in oz unable to handle the Brisbane humidity. I am moving to Melbourne now as I have had enough of it too.

If I can't get them back to Oz I will have to go live back in the UK as I want to look after them. Major life hassle as I can't continue my career in the UK either!

can you not just get a standard Residents Return Visa. Surely with all that history and ties ?

Not sure if there are age requirements but i'm sure someone here will :-)

Barbaitch, you guys getting another RRV means a lot to me as I have parents in the uk getting old (75). Their 5year multiple-entry perm res ozzie visa expired 10yrs ago after they returned to uk after 1 year in oz unable to handle the Brisbane humidity. I am moving to Melbourne now as I have had enough of it too.

If I can't get them back to Oz I will have to go live back in the UK as I want to look after them. Major life hassle as I can't continue my career in the UK either!

Hi TheVet: I would love to be able to help you re getting your parents back to Oz, but I can only echo what others on PIO advised me to do when I first posted my thread in April of this year about the possibility of being granted RRVs after a long absence from Oz, and that is to talk to a reputable migration agent asap. As your particular situation is not straightforward (because of the long absence your parents have spent outside Oz after their RRVs expired), I'd say the sooner you get started, the better, because the longer you delay the harder it will be, as DIAC are quite strict about PRs letting their RRVs expire before returning to live in Oz. I was given the names of a few good UK-based migration agents, (Ian Harrop & Associates; Alan Collett of 'Go Matilda', George Lombard, as well as a few others whose names escape me right now, although you'll find plenty of agent recommendations on PIO if you pose the question), and we chose Ian Harrop, who phoned me back within 15 minutes of receiving my first email to him, which clinched it for me. Ian gave me sound advice in a lengthy phone call, without charge, which I much appreciated. We ended up going with an Adelaide-based agent (on Ian's recommendation), as it was felt we'd be better placed applying for our RRVs onshore (in Oz), rather than offshore (UK). I learned through PIO that some agents are more than a bit lax in responding to initial enquiries - so if you do decide to go with an agent, I urge you to stick with any of the agents I've suggested, just to be on the safe side. You'll find plenty of horror stores here about bad agents, so better be safe than sorry!

You might want to contact Gill (username: Gollywobbler) with your query, who'll be able to give you plenty of advice and probably make a few good alternative suggestions about getting your Mum and Dad to Oz, if they don't qualify for new RRVs. You'll find Gill on the PomsInAdelaide forums. Truly, she's worth her weight in gold with all the advice she so generously gives about all matters migration. She's not an agent, but from her many posts I've read over the past 6 months or so, what she doesn't know about all the intricacies of visa application isn't worth knowing! She's brilliant.

I was hoping to have heard from our agent today about our own visa application, but still no word, so the wait goes on...

I just hope he submitted it before the deadline date of 26 November (last Sat) while it still fell within the 10-year absence from Oz condition by DIAC from expiry of my last RRV. He told us it was going in two weeks ago, but we haven't heard from him since then, so fingers crossed they received it in time!

Not panicking ... yet!

Please keep us posted about your own situation.

I wish you well!

can you not just get a standard Residents Return Visa. Surely with all that history and ties ?

Not sure if there are age requirements but i'm sure someone here will :-)

Hi cjmre76: I think a 5-year RRV is only granted to Permanent Residents, but if you leave Oz for longer than that, you lose that right of residency - as happened with us. We don't yet know if our application will be successful, as even though we have plenty of close personal ties to Oz and - in our opinion - have compelling reasons for staying away for so long, it all comes down to the 'Man/Woman with the Stamp' at DIAC, who will decide whether or not we pass muster! It hasn't been a straightforward process at all, and not without a good bit of stress while we wait - and wait - for someone to decide our fate. The main reason we decided to apply onshore, btw, is that our agent told us that if we are turned down by DIAC, then we'll be able to appeal against the decision at Tribunal, but that if we'd applied from England, and were refused entry, we wouldn't be able to appeal.

Regarding age limits for aged parents: My husband and I are both 71 and retired. We did ask our agent at the start if our age was against us, but he said there's no age limit as far as he knew.

Good wishes, and thanks for your interest.

Hi Barbaitch,

Have you (or anybody following this thread) researched the possibility of 'living' in oz on a tourist visa?

ie. when tourist visa expires head over to NZ or Vanuatu for a day and come back on another tourist visa.

I dont know the standard length of a tourist visa or how reliable it is to keep getting them.

I dont know if anyone does it.

I know it may not seem like a real comfortable idea at the moment but if its possible its an easy option. Far cheaper than fast-tracked retirement visas.

My parents confirmed to me on my recent visit to UK that the older they get the more they would consider such a 'less permanent' option even after them jumping all those hoops 10 years back.

Does anybody know if this is possible or know anybody doing it???

After all you wont be seeking work... if it was possible and guaranteeable it would be a cheap and easy way to go.If you ever got to the state where you cant fly - then cruises become another option I suppose!

TheVet

Fantastic news!! Our agent phoned yesterday with the brilliant news that our RRV application has been approved!! We're absolutely over the moon about this and can hardly believe it!

It's been a rocky, nail-biting eight months since we found out (through PIO!) that we might be able to have our lapsed Permanent Residency restored after a long absence from Oz, (providing we could prove close personal ties and give compelling reasons why we were away for so long) and our gratitude for the wonderful help and advice given by our two agents Ian Harrop & Associates (UK-based) and Brian Jones (Adelaide-based), cannot be stressed highly enough.

And to all the PIO/PIA buddies who've taken such an interest and given so much encouragement and advice right from the start, I want to say a massive THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

There's so much to say, but the words won't come... We're on Cloud Nine right now.

I'll come back to PIO/PIA when I come back down to earth!

Amazing feeling!

Fantastic news!! Our agent phoned yesterday with the brilliant news that our RRV application has been approved!! We're absolutely over the moon about this and can hardly believe it!

Fantastic news, congratulations!!! There are many of us who were following your story and rooting for you :)

Good luck with everything!

:)

Fantastic news, congratulations!!! There are many of us who were following your story and rooting for you :)

Good luck with everything!

:)

Huge Thanks to Mr Fabricator, thewebweazel, snifter and bma for your lovely comments and congratulations! Still as high as a kite after hearing such fantastic news from our agent and I've been a basketcase since he phoned yesterday! I'm not mad -- just ecstatically happy! Texts and emails of congrats have been flooding in since I spread the great news to our many friends in Oz and England and now our hearts are fit to burst now with such lovely comments coming in from our fab PIO buddies! I didn't expect such a high!

It's truly surreal right now - and a little bit crazy.

I wish this joy for everyone.

Thank you so much. x

Guest Guest31881

I remember reading your story when you first came on PIO. I'm totally thrilled for you. I must admit when I first read your story and it was suggested a Migration agent be consulted I hoped that a successful outcome would be reached but I had my doubts. its great to hear your news, this must be one of the best success stories I have read in a long long time.

Good luck with your future, and if you ever come up my way you are welcome to pop in for a cuppa.

Hi Barbaitch!,

Thats fantastic. I can break the news of your win to my folks in the UK to. They will feel relieved with your precedent and more confident that they have the same chance. I would like to compare notes on the strength of the ties and timings etc. But for now please celebrate!

Ecstatic,

TheVet

Archived