Can we return to live in Oz after 5-yr rentry visa expiry 8 years ago?

barbaitch

Hi PIO:

I'm a new PIO member and do apologise if I'm in the wrong forum with my very first post. As you'll see, my story is a bit complicated, but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible. I would really appreciate any feedback you might be able to give after reading my story:

-My husband and I (both English) were both 17 (although not known to each other at the time) when we first migrated to Oz in 1957. (My husband went to Sydney under the Big Brother Movement sponsorship scheme operating back then).

-We met and married in Sydney in 1960, and our daughter was born there in 1961, soon after which we returned to England.

-13 years later, with two young children (our son aged 11 was born in Manchester in 1963) we returned to Oz (South Australia) where we happily lived and worked full-time for most of the next 19 years.

For personal family reasons (too sad to tell here) my husband and I returned to England in 1993. Still only having Permanent Residential status at the time (yes, we know it was a foolish oversight on our part not to have become Citizens after nearly 24 years living there by then, and we now regret it very much!), we were issued with 5-yr re-entry visas on leaving Australia. Just before these visas expired, 5 years later, for reasons that prevented us from returning to live there permanently at that time, we were granted a second 5-yr re-entry visa, for which we were very grateful.

Another five years later, and still not being in a position to return to live in Oz, our second RRV expired about 8 years ago, and because we were told it wasn't possible to be granted a third, accepted that we'd lost our chance to return to live in the country we looked on as 'our second home', and regret to this day that we allowed it to happen. (Another story).

Today, our (Australian) daughter (now 50!), and our two grown Australian grandchildren, still live in S. Australia (as well as our two sisters and their families, and all the many friends we made during the 24 (mostly) happy years of living there, and although we have all enjoyed occasional visits with each other over the years since our departure, we miss them so much and very much wish to return there to live, although, from research I've done lately about Aged Parent Sponsorship for migration to Australia, it seems unlikely, given the excessive costs and up-to-20-year wait for completion of application processes, we will ever be able to achieve that now, and feel very dispirited and extremely sad indeed about it.

However, it has just come to my notice that it might just be possible for us to apply for permanent residency under a different category than the Aged Parent Sponsorship Scheme if we are able to provide evidence of compelling reasons for our long absence and of our close personal ties to Australia, which is my main reason for posting this thread to PomsInOz now, in the hope someone might just be able to advise us further and perhaps give us renewed hope that all is not lost.

Any help and advice would be extremely welcome and we thank you in advance for taking the trouble to read my story.

With grateful thanks.

barbaitch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest37336

Hi Barbaitch.

Though I can't help with your questions I have moved the thread to 'Migration Issues'. Hopefully in this way someone will be able to advise a bit better.

Cheers Tony.

Hi

Interesting post, well in terms of mother in law being in the same boat, were planning to move over there soon as but she will be here on her own, she lived in Oz till about '76 for 15 odd years but like you never got round to getting citizenship, again another story. Her brother lives there and has friends still in Oz, If there is a way in which she could move over along the lines which you stated in the bottom of your post then please do let me know as I cannot make heads or tails over the retirement visa.

Good luck

Hi:smile:..welcome to PIO!..you obviously have a long spanning history with our lovely Aus..my folks emigrated in 1966 as £10 poms and i was two, spending 11 years there and then they returned for my Nan who was ill..over 30 years later i applied for a Former Residents Visa and was granted it, due to matching criteria and strong ties to Aus..since then because we have ping-ponged a couple of times without getting citizenship, we have had a couple of 5 year RRV's ourselves..i think it would be well worth you trying again for another RRV..you have an Aus daughter and strong ties with the country in family and friends, and also many years of living there where Aus contributed to your lives and you to the country..i know there is a criteria for the visa, but it's not always set in stone and worth a go..with our last RRV application we submitted a personal letter detailing our ties with Aus, and including how our youngest was born there..i think it would be a good idea for you to do the same, just as you've written it here on PIO, telling them your story..i hope you are successful and wish you all the best:yes:

Thank you so much, Pingpongpom2, for your encouraging reply to my post. You have no idea how much you have lifted my spirits and I will definitely follow your suggestion to set the wheels in motion to apply for a Former Residents' Visa (we had no idea such a thing existed!!) as soon as possible. I'll try not to get my hopes up too high, but I must admit my heart is singing at the moment!! ;)x

PS: Our personal and emotional ties to dear old Oz are many indeed. We love 'her' to bits!

Guest Guest31881

Here is the page for the visa your inquiring about, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I do not think you will be eligible.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/151/

Please contact a good agent and find out what your options are, before you spend to much money applying for visas. You do not have to use an agent, but i think in your circumstances the advice would be beneficial. Then you can decide what is your best route to a visa.

Thank you so much, Pingpongpom2, for your encouraging reply to my post. You have no idea how much you have lifted my spirits and I will definitely follow your suggestion to set the wheels in motion to apply for a Former Residents' Visa (we had no idea such a thing existed!!) as soon as possible. I'll try not to get my hopes up too high, but I must admit my heart is singing at the moment!! ;)x

PS: Our personal and emotional ties to dear old Oz are many indeed. We love 'her' to bits!

Hi again:smile:..please so you don't get confused with the visa types..when i applied for a Former Residents Visa, i was applying due to the fact that i had been resident in Aus for 9 of my first 18 years..this is very specific criteria and yes it's not very well known, as i should imagine it applies to only a small amount of people..what i suggest is you try for another RRV, which is more applicable to you..i am pleased to lift your spirits:smile: but do not want to send you down a path not suitable..take care

Thanks SRP for the link. I'll check it out in the morning.

We won't be spending any money before we've got a better idea of our status re returning to Oz. This isn't something to be taken lightly, we know, and won't take it for granted that we'll even be eligible for a 3rd RRV. Still, I guess where there's life there's hope and we won't know until we try. We very much appreciate all the help and advice we can get right now. Thanks again.

Thanks again, PPP2, for your swift response. Yes, I'll look into applying for a 3rd RRV at this stage. Your help and sage advice is very much appreciated. One step at a time.x

Hi:smile:...please let me know how things go for you..i am happy to help..my advice is obviously only on a personal level and what i would consider doing if i was in your circumstances and weighing it all up..ultimately it's your decision, so please also take advice from others on here, who may be more clued in than myself, such as seeking help from a registered migration agent, who will be able to look at your history and give you professional advice..take care and all the best..

Thanks terri (PPP2) for your interest and kind advice. I'll let you know how I go. It'll probably take a few weeks or more before I get any feedback, so hope I'll be able to find you again! Do you know how long do these threads stay in place after posting? As this is my first posting, and I don't know my way around yet, I'm not familiar with how it all works.

Thanks also to wrussell, SaveTheLemming (Tony), rammygirl, jimithechew, Srp (Colin) for all your comments and advice.

I'd appreciate it if you could recommend one or two reputable agents, as I'd like to get an assessment from someone who knows the rules, to see if it's worthwhile going any further, because I'm not feeling too hopeful after reading a post under Migration Issues with a link containing loads of other cases of people who had applied for the kind of visa I'm hoping for; all with different stories of mid-to-long past connections with Oz, but as far as I could tell they were all unsuccessful!! I got the impression that no matter what these people's history of Oz was, if they hadn't spent at least 9 years prior to being 18 years of age in the country, they were just wasting their time applying in the first place! I'm hoping I've got it all wrong and I've just tried searching for this link again, so I could say who posted it, but can't find it anywhere. (Maybe it was all a bad dream after all?!)

All good wishes,

barbaitch

• 5 months later...
Hi:smile:..welcome to PIO!..you obviously have a long spanning history with our lovely Aus..my folks emigrated in 1966 as £10 poms and i was two, spending 11 years there and then they returned for my Nan who was ill..over 30 years later i applied for a Former Residents Visa and was granted it, due to matching criteria and strong ties to Aus..since then because we have ping-ponged a couple of times without getting citizenship, we have had a couple of 5 year RRV's ourselves..i think it would be well worth you trying again for another RRV..you have an Aus daughter and strong ties with the country in family and friends, and also many years of living there where Aus contributed to your lives and you to the country..i know there is a criteria for the visa, but it's not always set in stone and worth a go..with our last RRV application we submitted a personal letter detailing our ties with Aus, and including how our youngest was born there..i think it would be a good idea for you to do the same, just as you've written it here on PIO, telling them your story..i hope you are successful and wish you all the best:yes:

I joined PIO in April this year enquiring about the possibility of my husband and I being eligible for RRVs after a long absence from Oz. After a few exchanges on this site, which included suggestions to consult a good migration agent (as our case wasn't straightforward and not something to be tackled without expert help and advice), I contacted Ian Harrop & Associates by email. Ian responded by phoning back (within 15 mins of my clicking the 'send' button, which really impressed me!), and we had a nice long chat to discuss our situation further. The upshot was that, although Ian couldn't guarantee success for us, he thought it might be worth proceeding with an application, to which we agreed. However, a few weeks later I received a phone call from Ian a couple of days before we were due to visit his office in Oxfordshire to begin our application, with the disappointing news that our particular case couldn't be processed from the Uk, and that if we wanted to take it further we should consult an agent in Adelaide (where we lived for 19 years and to where we would return if we were granted PR again), to work on our behalf. Having agreed to his suggestion, Ian recommended an Adelaide-based MARA agent to us, whom I contacted a couple of days later, at the end of May this year. After a lengthy phone conversation with the Adelaide agent, my husband and I decided to continue with our application and the process began again from Oz, while my husband and I remained in the UK. However, in August, our new agent phoned to advise us that we'd have a better chance of success with our application if we were to apply onshore - in Oz! -- and not in the UK!!

Needless to say, that threw us right out of kilter as we weren't expecting to make another trip this year (we've already been twice in the past 18 months, for 3 months each time!), and now, having been on what, at times, has felt like a very stressful roller-coaster ride since May, we're about to fly out to Oz in three days time -- and still no nearer to knowing what the Fates have in store for us!!

We're leaving on Thursday 20 Oct., and hopefully meeting our agent for the first time next Tuesday or Wednesday! After all the not-knowing, I'm feeling quite frazzled, but have no doubt the worst is still to come!!

As old Arkwright in 'Open All Hours' would have said: "Eee, it's been a funny old year...!

This is directed mainly at those who responded to my very first post on 15 April '11, and who may yet be interested to know 'what happened next?': PPP2; ali, STL, jtc, Srp and wrussell.

Please wish us luck, PIO.

I just want to say a very Big THANK YOU to everyone who's added their good luck wishes to my post! It's a nice feeling to know we're not on this crazy ride all on our own!

Good luck, also, to BackToAdelaide, who's about to embark on The Big Adventure to dear old Oz! I take it - if your PIO username is anything to go by - that this isn't your first foray into the Land Down Under??

From the dates you've given, it sounds as though the whole application process has been pretty quick for you. That's great!

I'm hoping my post reaches Terri (PingPongPom2) - whose own post (the one I came across when I first came across PIO and which got me started on my own application for a RRV) and subsequent encouragement and advice, directly led me to down the road I'm on right now!! Whatever the outcome of our own application, I'm a bit wiser now than I was before it all started.

Thanks again, PIO!

PS: While I'm dishing out the Thankyous, I'd just like to throw one in for Gill, PIO's fab Wonder-Woman, Gollywobbler! That woman deserves a medal for all the sound, sterling advice she so generously gives! I'm thinking: Dame Gollywobbler, For Services to Migration to Oz!! Yep, that has a nice ring to it!! x:hug::notworthy:

Oops! Have just read back my own last post and noticed the bloopers I made! Sorry 'bout that! I also just realised that dear old Gollywobbler is now spreading the word on PIO's sister-site, Poms in Adelaide, so she probably won't see the accolade I gave her! I'm a bit busy getting ready for our trip in 3 days time, so won't have time to visit PIA before we leave, so if anyone happens to be popping by in the next day or two , please pass it on for me! Thanks.