IELTS Results & What to do next?

John and Alexa

Hi Everyone

We are hoping we can draw on your knowledge & experience.

We both received our IELTS results yesterday & whilst we both obtained an overall score of 8 & 8.5 our reading results were 6.5. My results were 8,6.5,8.5,9 & Johns' were 9,6.5,8.5,9.

Our instant re-action was how? Especially as the other results are good. At the time we thought the text/questions on the whales was poorly written & open to interpretation but decided it can't have been that bad as it is for an English test & maybe it was just us. Has anyone else taken this test in the last couple of weeks & found the same?

Yesterday I informed our agent & she has told us we have to re-take the test as a minimum score of 7 in each section is required. Is this correct? We were under the assumption it was the overall score that was needed.

Today I'm deliberating on what to do next. Should I contact the test centre & query the reading results for us both or should I just do what the agent says & book a retest?

We are hoping to follow the WA SS route.

Thanks

Alexa :confused:

Guest izoomzoom

I've read on here that if one score is 2 points less then all the others, then they send it for an automatic re-mark. Heard of one person that got 6 origionally and then 9 on the remark.

Ask for yours to remarked. The only thing you have to lose is time, and if that is an issue, book a re-sit.

Best of luck

hi , im new to this site..and a little confused..iv been told as long as i can prove iv been educated in England and have substantial English exam results i do not need to sit IELTS.. can anyone advise me on the correct procedure please?

Hi there,

You should listen to your agent and book another test.

Appeal will not work, since both Listening & Reading sections of the exam have specific set of answers. If your answers do not mach those used by markers, bad luck. Spelling mistakes, appropriate use of upper case /lower case, etc: everything is taken into account when it comes to the IELTS exam.

Test remark is not free; you have to pay for it. However, the fee is refunded if your appeal is successful.

PS.

Make sure that you study for your next exam; otherwise you might need to sit it again.

Regards,

MOTO

Our instant re-action was how? Especially as the other results are good. At the time we thought the text/questions on the whales was poorly written & open to interpretation but decided it can't have been that bad as it is for an English test & maybe it was just us. Has anyone else taken this test in the last couple of weeks & found the same?

Today I'm deliberating on what to do next. Should I contact the test centre & query the reading results for us both or should I just do what the agent says & book a retest?

The reading test has exact answers if you dont put what they have on their answer sheet then they mark you down

The test is design for foriegn students who want to study at an English speaking university so it doesnt take into account a native speakers ability to be subjective in their answers

If it was me I would ask for a retest on reading, think it takes about 6 weeks to be done. I would also re take the test as well esp if you have the 1st July deadline looming for the points system changes

From the IELTS site

here:

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_takers_faqs/test_results.aspx

What if I feel my test result is wrong?

You can apply for an Enquiry on Results procedure at your test centre within six weeks of the test date. You must pay an enquiry fee, which is fully refunded if your band score changes. Note that IELTS Examiners and markers follow strict assessment guidelines and are regularly monitored. The IELTS testing process has the highest quality control procedures

hi , im new to this site..and a little confused..iv been told as long as i can prove iv been educated in England and have substantial English exam results i do not need to sit IELTS.. can anyone advise me on the correct procedure please?

You only need the IELTs for certain things Debgav, so you are probably ok - some people take it for extra points, some take it for Skills assessment (depends on their profession and the proof they are claiming), some take it for SS as a requirement for their specific profession (for eg, teachers for SA SS need a 7 in the IELTs, ontop of the automatic 6.5 we get for holding a GB passport).

Hi,

I believe I may have taken the same test as you on 19th March. Had questions about Whales in Australia, Post Office and some type of housing descriptions from what I remember.

From looking at how the scoring works to get a 6.5 you will have probably got around 28-30 out of a possible 40, so I think questions about the whales wasn't your only downfall. Is it possible you may have written the actual answers rather than the just the numbers/letters (strange that you both may have done it) on another section?

Guest izoomzoom

If it was me I would ask for a retest on reading, think it takes about 6 weeks to be done.

Are you allowed to just do a re-sit on one element of the test ??

It is nothing to do with proving you have been educated in English. To be completely exempt would depend upon your passport. If you have a British / Irish / Canadian/ US/ NZ passport then you may not need to do IELTS.

But many of us do take IELTS as we need it for extra points or because there is a blanket rule for anyone in our occupations ,e.g. accountants and nurses always have to take it.

then you may not need to do IELTS.
This is the first time I have seen the condition stated more or less correctly on a forum - hold one of the designated passports AND first spoken language English. There is more to it than this.

• 3 months later...
Guest bren915

Hi Guys,

I have just read your post and wondered what you ended up doing i.e. resit or not?

I have just received my IELTS result - overall 8.5 (9/6.5/8.5/9). I have emailed my agent to ask if these results are adequate. All the guidance says I need min 7 in all four components.

Cheers

Bren

Hi Guys,

I have just read your post and wondered what you ended up doing i.e. resit or not?

I have just received my IELTS result - overall 8.5 (9/6.5/8.5/9). I have emailed my agent to ask if these results are adequate. All the guidance says I need min 7 in all four components.

Cheers

Bren

Does this not mean that you will have to resit then as you didn't get a minimum of 7 in one of them - you got 6.5? Crazy when all your other results are so high x

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Bren

Hi, I ended up re-sitting as I am the main applicant & achieved 7.5, 8.5, 8.5, 9 with an overall of 8.5. Slightly annoying as my Listening mark was 8 in my first attempt but I have achieved the minimum of 7 across all components so relieved I don't have to re-sit :biggrin:

Hi, I ended up re-sitting as I am the main applicant & achieved 7.5, 8.5, 8.5, 9 with an overall of 8.5. Slightly annoying as my Listening mark was 8 in my first attempt but I have achieved the minimum of 7 across all components so relieved I don't have to re-sit :biggrin:

Well done! Bet that's one thing you will be glad to tick off your list eh? :) x:wink:

Guest bren915

Yes, that is correct. My agent emailed me today to confirm that I need to re-sit the test. It seems a little harsh to me, but I have few options other than re-sitting.

Cheers

Bren

Guest bren915

Cheers for the update Guys,

My agent has now confirmed that I have to take the test again.

Bren

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have cleared my IELTS with 8 in individual items. I am going to apply for my skill assessment however i am confused whether i wil be able to do it individually or do i need an assitance (agent) to do it??

Also, I predominantly am a tester (3 years exp) and a business analyst (4 years exp) in a total of 7 years of exp. Which code/category should i apply for my skills to be assessed becuase i came to know that they will not combine the codes and assess.

Please advice on this so that i can proceed.

Hello,

I have cleared my IELTS with 8 in individual items. I am going to apply for my skill assessment however i am confused whether i wil be able to do it individually or do i need an assitance (agent) to do it??

Also, I predominantly am a tester (3 years exp) and a business analyst (4 years exp) in a total of 7 years of exp. Which code/category should i apply for my skills to be assessed becuase i came to know that they will not combine the codes and assess.

Please advice on this so that i can proceed.

Hey :) Well done on the IELTS! I'm not sure exactly what you mean here but I think you need to find your job listed on the SOL list. You have to pick one - for example I am a Plumbing and Heating Engineer and I picked Plumber and not Gas Fitter. We have not used an agent at all ... on the DIAC website it tells you which body assesses your skills and you contact them. I guess the job you pick would depend on how many points you need from various parts of the points test to get the 65 points. For example, we needed the basic 12 months relevant work experience in the last 24 (which everyone needs) but due to the higher IELTS results we no longer need to prove 5 or 8 years experience in the last ten years as we have enough points from elsewhere on the points test. I can't remember whether the skills test required us to prove many years experience or not.

Which job have you been doing recently? As you need to have worked in the profession for 12 of the last 24 months...so maybe you should pick that one and see what the assessing body for that job requires and also see whether you have enough points without proving 5 years work experience in the last ten? Any help? x

• 9 months later...

Can anyone advise me if the IELTS tests are compulsory for everyone now as of the 1st of July 2012. I have started to enquire on migrating to oz and looking to agree on an agent to help me speed up the process! Anyone recommend an agent also. We have read about Global Visas, Australian Visa Bureau and Ian Harrop. Not sure if any or all of them are recommended?

Please help as I am aware of the skills assessment that is compulsory but not sure on the IELTS tests

Thanks

Can anyone advise me if the IELTS tests are compulsory for everyone now as of the 1st of July 2012. I have started to enquire on migrating to oz and looking to agree on an agent to help me speed up the process! Anyone recommend an agent also. We have read about Global Visas, Australian Visa Bureau and Ian Harrop. Not sure if any or all of them are recommended?

Please help as I am aware of the skills assessment that is compulsory but not sure on the IELTS tests

Thanks

If you're a citizen of the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland you are assumed to have a competent level of English proficiency and thus don't need to take the IELTS. However, if you're planning on claiming points for English proficiency, you need to take the IELTS, regardless of your citizenship. Most of us have had to take it because we need the points.

Archived