Possible to get an IT job before I arrive in Aus?

mw291073

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a repost, but is landing an IT job before leaving the UK a possibility? Do you know of anyone who has managed this before?

I work in IT Networking, predominantly in Cisco. I have previously applied for jobs via Seek, but received no response. There does seem to be a lot of Cisco networking jobs available in Aus right now.

Would it be worth calling agencies to show my eagerness?

Thanks all :)

Do you already have a visa? Applying to agencies without a visa in place will get you nowhere. Even if you have a visa the agencies will ignore you unless you're actually in Aus. If you're looking for sponsorship you may have better luck approaching potential employers directly.

I am in IT as well in Infrastructure. In my experience, & I am a citizen, agencies don't want to know unless you are actually in the country. If you have a date booked for arrival, I am sure you can arrange a few meetings in advance & get a CV over to them.

Having said that, I am sure you will have no trouble at all getting a job when you land.

Do you already have a visa? Applying to agencies without a visa in place will get you nowhere. Even if you have a visa the agencies will ignore you unless you're actually in Aus. If you're looking for sponsorship you may have better luck approaching potential employers directly.

I'm sorry, I should have said that I have an NZ passport, so visa's not a problem.

I am in IT as well in Infrastructure. In my experience, & I am a citizen, agencies don't want to know unless you are actually in the country. If you have a date booked for arrival, I am sure you can arrange a few meetings in advance & get a CV over to them.

Having said that, I am sure you will have no trouble at all getting a job when you land.

That sounds encouraging - My preference is to work in Sydney or Melbourne.

My hubby applied from overseas and was offered a job - we didn't have a visa at the time, although did have an application in. They were going to sponsor us, but our PR was issued a couple of weeks later anyway. This was several years ago though, so the situation may have changed.

Love

Rudi

x

What level are your Cisco skills at? Any certs? With the NBN they are lloking for a lot of design type people.

You will not have any issue getting work in Sydney or Melbourne I don't think.

Hi,

Yes, I have a CCNA & CCNA Voice (Call Manager Express install & config).

I've just started studying my CCNP. I hope to have the first part of 3 (Route) by August. I was then planning on flying to Aus and getting a job with that and then finishing my CCNP.

I hope that's enough to get me a job. Last thing I want to do is fly there with no job and spend months trying to find one, blowing away all my savings! Hence, it would be ideal to get a job before I leave.

Cheers

My hubby applied from overseas and was offered a job - we didn't have a visa at the time, although did have an application in. They were going to sponsor us, but our PR was issued a couple of weeks later anyway. This was several years ago though, so the situation may have changed.

Love

Rudi

x

That sounds encouraging!

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a repost, but is landing an IT job before leaving the UK a possibility? Do you know of anyone who has managed this before?

I work in IT Networking, predominantly in Cisco. I have previously applied for jobs via Seek, but received no response. There does seem to be a lot of Cisco networking jobs available in Aus right now.

Would it be worth calling agencies to show my eagerness?

Thanks all :)

Yes, we employed someone from south africa using skype. Not common though.

Note that if you enter on a Special Category Visa (SCV) based on being a New Zealand citizen you will just be classed as a temporary resident of Australia even though you can stay indefinitely. This affects various govt benefits and services, education costs and other stuff.

Yes, we employed someone from south africa using skype. Not common though.

Note that if you enter on a Special Category Visa (SCV) based on being a New Zealand citizen you will just be classed as a temporary resident of Australia even though you can stay indefinitely. This affects various govt benefits and services, education costs and other stuff.

Hi,

I won't enter on any visa. I have a NZ passport so no visa required. Certainly didn't need one the last time I went to Aus in 2001.

Have things changed?

I was going through the disc here..well in same situation....once u reach AUs,roughly in how many days u get job.....till the time u get a descent job offer,wht other job can b done to meet expenses

Sorry - I didn't understand that?

Cheers

I was going through the disc here..well in same situation....once u reach AUs,roughly in how many days u get job.....till the time u get a descent job offer,wht other job can b done to meet expenses

Please don't do text speak - this is an online forum, not a phone.

MWbornthreedaysandfourteenyearsafterme, you might like to visit the chat rooms Tuesday night UK time, I'm sure there will be discussions about how to do this.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/110027-chat-industry-experts-tues-22nd-8-10pm-uk-time.html

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the advice in the chatroom last night.

I was thinking though. You mentioned contacting agencies for job opportunities. Can you recommend any to me in the Sydney & Melbourne regions?

Many Thanks!

Guest Jamie Smith

Gday mw291073

Sorry I can't really help you with that. Knowing who to contact is a component of our service. Giving out our business contacts kind of defeats the purpose :nah:. Good luck with DIY.

Hi,

I won't enter on any visa. I have a NZ passport so no visa required. Certainly didn't need one the last time I went to Aus in 2001.

Have things changed?

I'm no expert but I think showing your kiwi passport in effect means you are travelling into Australia on a special category visa (SCV).

SCV visas are classed as temporary visas with an unending right to remain in Australia.

The issue is that from 2001 onwards these visas have had restrictions imposed on them so that the holder is treated as a temporary resident for various benefits including unemployment benefits, some other centrelink benefits, education benefits, insurance and offers issued by private companies to permanent residents only etc

Guest Jamie Smith

Yes, also can't vote in State or Federal elections, do jury service or work for some government departments. I think the only education restriction on kiwis is the lack of access to higher education study grants.

Gday mw291073

Sorry I can't really help you with that. Knowing who to contact is a component of our service. Giving out our business contacts kind of defeats the purpose :nah:. Good luck with DIY.

Ah sorry Jamie. I've bookmarked your website, so will be sure to look at it in more detail when the time comes closer to me going to Aus :)

I'm no expert but I think showing your kiwi passport in effect means you are travelling into Australia on a special category visa (SCV).

SCV visas are classed as temporary visas with an unending right to remain in Australia.

The issue is that from 2001 onwards these visas have had restrictions imposed on them so that the holder is treated as a temporary resident for various benefits including unemployment benefits, some other centrelink benefits, education benefits, insurance and offers issued by private companies to permanent residents only etc

I guess that must have come into force after I last went to Aus then. So what do I need to do before I go there? Do I need to prepare anything, or is it just a matter of flying there and receiving a paper visa when I arrive?

Also, does this affect my chances of gaining employment when in Aus? It used to be that I could just turn up and say I was a NZ citizen and job done. Has that all changed?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Guest Jamie Smith

MW you can still just hop off the plane, buy a hosue or car, get a job, pay superannuation etc. They just cracked down on the social welfare side of things.

MW you can still just hop off the plane, buy a hosue or car, get a job, pay superannuation etc. They just cracked down on the social welfare side of things.

Jamie - that's brilliant. Thanks for the good advice as always.

Archived