6months in and loving it- long post, sorry

Elliott-Family

This move was never about money and we may never own our own home again?

I'm beginning to feel I'll never own a house too! Great to see that you were able to rent somewhere with your dogs though, that's my main stressing point at the moment. How do you think they'll handle the Aussie summer?

to be honest we found renting with the dogs was fine. A few houses said definately no dogs but most were negotiable and we offered to pay for any dog damage.

To say how hairey our dogs are they coped really well with the heat, better than we hoped. We always took them out during the cooler parts of the day/ evening only. On the really hot days we'd put the aircon on and they'd lie under that or on the tiled floor. They found the shade and cool parts of the house. I wouldnt stress too much about renting with dogs, you have to be realistic and maybe the brand new houses wont have dogs but alot will. If they dont mention anything about dogs in the ad then ask they're usually ok, you just have to make it clear your dog is trained and your a responsible owner.

Siamsusie and I will get a posse together and come and help him see his wicked ways. St. K. are okay ! Glad you are going along okay anyway, that's the main thing (after the football:biggrin:) cheers, Olly:laugh:

I do keep telling Jack he's wrong but any help with reforming his wayward ways is greatly appreciated!!!

Guest loudu
What a lovely post, so glad it's working out for you. We're moving to Melbourne in October and our main reason is the same as yours - we have two hairy dogs who pant in the snow in Ireland!! Positive attitude goes a long way.....congrats on living the dream :)

at least all the snow is gone now:smile:, and you'll be heading into summer here in oct when you move. what part of kildare are you from? we're from dublin.

Guest destinationoz

Great to hear it's all working well for you - I guess you won't be coming to the next Derby meet up then !!! Good Luck and Enjoy!!!! Cal, Kimani & Amari (Derby)

Guest MontyClaude
at least all the snow is gone now:smile:, and you'll be heading into summer here in oct when you move. what part of kildare are you from? we're from dublin.

We live just outside Naas, can't wait to get to Melbourne! At least the evenings are getting a bit brighter now so I've a bit more motivation to do everything that needs to be done before the big move :biggrin:. Did you miss not having Paddys Day in Dublin?

Guest MontyClaude
to be honest we found renting with the dogs was fine. A few houses said definately no dogs but most were negotiable and we offered to pay for any dog damage.

To say how hairey our dogs are they coped really well with the heat, better than we hoped. We always took them out during the cooler parts of the day/ evening only. On the really hot days we'd put the aircon on and they'd lie under that or on the tiled floor. They found the shade and cool parts of the house. I wouldnt stress too much about renting with dogs, you have to be realistic and maybe the brand new houses wont have dogs but alot will. If they dont mention anything about dogs in the ad then ask they're usually ok, you just have to make it clear your dog is trained and your a responsible owner.

Thanks a million, you are really putting my mind at ease. We have a golden retriever (who I think has just entered his teenage phase and is being extremely bold!), a Bernese Mountain dog and 2 cats - must be crazy......

Keep up the good posts :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks a million, you are really putting my mind at ease. We have a golden retriever (who I think has just entered his teenage phase and is being extremely bold!), a Bernese Mountain dog and 2 cats - must be crazy......

Keep up the good posts :wink:

not too sure about you being crazy for bringing the animals over.............loaded maybe!!:biggrin: I know how much it cost us for 2 smallish dogs but a bernese (not sure about the spelling) and a retriever AND 2 cats??

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just how does the weather there compare to the uk, would you say it is similar to say Devon, or Kent, without the long and at sometimes snowy, icy winter? Are the summers similar, i know you haven't been there that long, but how was the last summer?

Olly might be able to explain more what winter is like.

All the best.

Hey

Summer was great, melbourne is really weird and really is four seasons in one day, you do need to dress for all weather types but general its been great, this year we have had a much higher rainfall than average but i've loved it, we have had a couple of late 30 days which were very warm but as we are on the peninsula its usually a little cooler.

Hard to compare to the uk but i think better, usually if its bad it only seems to be for a couple of days at the most not that horrid lingering drizzle and cloud that the uk gets, it changes here so quick.

At present we are a couple of weeks into autumn the clocks have gone back so its dark at 6.30/7.00 but we are still sat out on the deck in t-shirt and shorts and its gorgeous

Not really helpful was it lol

claire x

That really sums it up Ropey, regarding the weather. We have just come out of a few years of drought, where we had hardly any rain, the gardens dried up, and the countryside was so yellow it had to be seen to be believed. Last year we had so much rain and it was overcast more than usual during the winter ,June-August, whereas usually we get many crisp cool but sunny days. At the momemt, it is typically Autumn - getting chilly in the morning and night, but during the day pleasant enough to take your cardigan off. The most important thing is that we don't get the prolonged humidity of the north which can knock you over if you don't like that weather, but you can acclimatise. My parents are Brits, and they came here for that reason - mum couldn't handle the heat. We are used to rugging up for our winters, as are Tasmanians just across the Strait. Anything north of Sydney and I'm gone as far as the weather is concerned, too hot for me. Mind you, that's not to say that in February this place doesn't get damn hot, it can, although this summer we have been spared several temps in the 40's during February (but that's good !). As I have said before, the day of the black saturday fires it was 46C in Melbourne, and I never felt that before, although it gets hot in some of the north/north eastern towns a few hours from here. We do also get strong winds, in Winter some bitterly cold ones, and in summer some horribly hot winds. Some mean people say that the best thing to come out of Melbourne is the Hume Highway, but I just tell them to bugga off !:policeman::laugh:

Guest MontyClaude
not too sure about you being crazy for bringing the animals over.............loaded maybe!!:biggrin: I know how much it cost us for 2 smallish dogs but a bernese (not sure about the spelling) and a retriever AND 2 cats??

Ha Ha broke more like.....we'll be on bread and water for the next six months getting them over there!!

We plan to breed our Bernese in Oz all going well, so we'll probably keep one (or all if I get my way) and maybe recover a very tiny portion of the cost of getting them there.

Love your posts :)

Ha Ha broke more like.....we'll be on bread and water for the next six months getting them over there!!

We plan to breed our Bernese in Oz all going well, so we'll probably keep one (or all if I get my way) and maybe recover a very tiny portion of the cost of getting them there.

Love your posts :)

We too are serious considering breeding our tibetan terrier bitch here so that she can repay the costs of bringing the 2 of them out!! :biggrin: But to be honest we would never of left them despite the cost. We made the decision to have dogs and they are part of the family. Some of the locals cant quite believe it when they hear how much it costs to bring them over...........:wacko:

Guest Trigby

Hi try and make friend before winter sets in Ozzies seem to hybernate in winter and its a lonley time to try and make friends.. we hit oz just as they were heading into winter and it was very hard to break the ice when its cold and dark outside.

Hi try and make friend before winter sets in Ozzies seem to hybernate in winter and its a lonley time to try and make friends.. we hit oz just as they were heading into winter and it was very hard to break the ice when its cold and dark outside.

Never seems to get that bad in Perth. Still have some glorious days with loads of people out and about all through winter.

A great post, Elliot-family.

What made it so good was that you came across as genuine & real.

You told the highs & the lows from the heart...& you didn't sugar coat it.

I often wonder when I initially read peoples posts, who will settle. Who will

be here for the long haul. I think that you will be.

I am a psychiatric nurse, too. We (hubby & 2 kids) live in Perth with our hairy dog.

He has to make do with a skin head in the summer.

Thanks for your post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Guest Trigby
Never seems to get that bad in Perth. Still have some glorious days with loads of people out and about all through winter.

i knew we should of got work in Perth!

rural vic winters are painful.. dark cold average 3-10c snow rain and no double glazing!

if i could of shipped my uk house over winter would be a breeze and toasty.

Archived