Certified Copies

wanderinred

Hello all,

This may or may not sound like a daft question, but I'm getting conflicting information on this!

I am a UK resident and I'm about to submit my qualifications / work experience for skills assessment. Is there a definitive list of who can sign these? Thing is, I am a public servant and I know I can sign peoples passport photo's etc within the UK, and have done this numerous times in the past - could a colleague do the same in regards this? Would this be acceptable for this purpose?

If public sector workers are not relevant for Australia, a list of who can actually do this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any info or experience users may have.

All the best

Guest KatyNick

Hi, I got a Chartered Accountant friend of mine who certified all of my OH certificates, stat. decs. etc for his stills assessment and the same person certified everything else that went to our CO. They are all now listed as met ... so it looks like she was okay to use. What has your agent (if you are using one) said??

Hi,

I was as confused as it seems some of you were!! I was advised to use a notary public....and they quoted me £780!! But would do it for the bargain price of £500! I appreciate there are probably 20+ documents that needed signing, but that seems like daylight robbery!!

The whole process it starting to get very expensive...and the wife cold feet...so it all getting very stressful - and wondering if we're doing the right thing!

I'll have to check if I can get someone else to sign them as lots of you seem to be getting a much better deal on these cost than me!

Thanks for the 'heads-up'!!

Hi,

I was as confused as it seems some of you were!! I was advised to use a notary public....and they quoted me £780!! But would do it for the bargain price of £500! I appreciate there are probably 20+ documents that needed signing, but that seems like daylight robbery!!

The whole process it starting to get very expensive...and the wife cold feet...so it all getting very stressful - and wondering if we're doing the right thing!

I'll have to check if I can get someone else to sign them as lots of you seem to be getting a much better deal on these cost than me!

Thanks for the 'heads-up'!!

Hi,

That does sound like you are being ripped off!

I sent in all the originals to our agents and the statutory declarations

that I had to get signed and witnessed was done by a solicitor that didn't charge me a single penny. He said to 'have this one on him' which was a good move on his part as in the future I shall be using him when I need to sale my house.

I have heard that people are usually charged anywhere from £5.00 to £100 to get documents certified.

Hi

It is only a Judge, Solicitor or a notary public that can sign. We got a solicitor to sign ours. She only charged us £5 for half a dozen items to be signed!

Not for skills assessment it isn't - I believe it depends on your skills though as to exactly who.

Does whoever is doing your assessment not provide a list? For us teachers, the list is quite long, and includes 'registered medical practicioners' for eg amongst the usual solicitors, JPs etc.

Guest Guest31881

Ask around family and friends if anyone knows a JP, I found a JP in the UK by asking friends, Did not charge, just a cup of coffee, or try local magistrates court to see if a JP would be willing to help out.

Guest Guest47308

I had to get 28 documents certified for TRA, and was told that a solicitor, Magistrate or JP (think there the same thing) could do them.

I was quoted any thing from £5 a copy to £12 a copy. The last solicitors i phoned said £1 a copy so i went there. They have been amazing and see me "at the drop of a hat"

Good luck,

PP

p.s was also told that if you take your docs to a local magistrates court they do them for free, might have to wait for a magistrate to be free tho.

Hi,

I queried all your postings with my agent in Australia, who is adamant that they need certifying by a notary public.

So looks like I kiss goodbye to another chunk of money...

Cheers.

Steve.

Your agent is wrong then - for SKILLS ASSESSMENT, it depends on who is doing the assessing (for eg, for me it is Teaching Australia), and different bodies have different rules.

When it comes to applying for our visa, and when I have to register with the SA Education Board, I will need them done by a solicitor or JP, but if you are only sending off for Skills Assessment, you don't nec. need to spend a chunk of money (again, depending on what your specific assessors require - this has been confirmed to me by TA).

Sorry to be pedandic about this, but its an expensive enough process anyway, without having to drop another £50 on paying to get some things signed when you don't need to pay (again, this depends on your specific assessors) - it would have made me quite mad if I had spent money on getting the lot I've just done signed, and then I had found out I could have had them signed for no cost by getting a friend (who is a GP) to do it.

hi, i'm an air con/refrigeration engineer and i had my vettasess assesment on 21st feb 2011. my doctor signed all my docs and i took my assesment and passed so i dont see why you are being quoted alot to have these things signed. my advice would be e-mail or phone the assesing body for your trade and ask them to define who exactly can sign. at least you will have heard from the horses mouth and this will hopefully dispsell any speculation.

kev

Hi,

Well, the agent seems adamant only notary certified documents will do! - it's for medical work in Sydney.

Ridiculously expensive for what they are doing!

Cheers.

Steve.

ask your agent to point you to the part of the DIAC or skills assessment website that mandates the use of a notary...

Archived