arriving in perth

pope6

i'll shortly be arriving in perth on a 457 sponsored visa. i've been offered a 3 bed house in Mount Hawthorn for $430pw. the house looks ok, seems to be well located (near the highway, park and office of my company...although i don't expect to be office based). its likely i'll be sending my 20' container (not groupage) about the same time i fly out. assuming the container takes about 8-10 weeks (is this about right??) i'll be rattling around the unfurnished Mount Hawthorn house without much stuff. therefore i'm thinking about passing up this house and going for a short term rental. my company will pay $1000 pw for up to 6 weeks temp accomodation.

my question is it likely that i'll regret not taking the mount hawthorn house. does it sound like a particuarly good deal, is it a nice area? with a budget of say $430 pw will we find it hard to find reasonably nice house (not apartment) in perth. my wifewill be joining me after i'll have been in perth about 2 months and we don't have kids so no schools required.

thanks in advance

Hey, Mount Hawthorn is a nice area, however your stuff will take a while to arrive and it might be a pain in the interim to have absolutley nothing.

My OH and I came over on a sponsored 457 visa and stayed for 1 month in a self contained apartment, then moved into a fully furnished/equiped house, we arrived at start of May 2010 and our stuff arrived end of June (it was shipped from UK in April, so took quite a while). I would say that a budget of up to $430 for a house is fine (obviously depending on where you want to live as some suburbs are a lot more priceier than others) you should be able to get something decent for that price. When you get here it might be nice to scope out areas etc that you want to live in before you have alreday commited to a contract. Its totally down to your preference though. Good luck, Perth is a great place to live!

you could always consider renting some furniture for a couple of months till your stuff arrives.... you could get bed, sofas', fridge, tv and other bits and pieces for maybe a couple of hundred dollars a week.... if your employer is willing to contribute for a few weeks as you say then you don't seem to have anything to lose by doing it this way?

thanks for your reply. i've had a quote for 35 days for a container via singapore. i think this is sailing time only. that sounds quicker than other people seem to have experienced. how long does it take to get it cleared at the port in perth. yes i agree it might be better to arrrive and then look, but the mount hawthorn house is via a friend in perth who knows our requirements well. what i don't want to do is turn it down then end up spending a lot of time and effort looking when we get there and end of settling for something thats not as good. preferably i'd like to feel settled ASAP so i can concentrate on my work and other things. thanks again

you could always consider renting some furniture for a couple of months till your stuff arrives.... you could get bed, sofas', fridge, tv and other bits and pieces for maybe a couple of hundred dollars a week.... if your employer is willing to contribute for a few weeks as you say then you don't seem to have anything to lose by doing it this way?

thanks for that. i hadn't even thought about renting furniture...could be a great idea for us. its great to moving to a country that has an infrastruture for immigrant needs. previoulsy when we've moved overseas we've been on our own. i did a quick google search for furniture rental...do you have know specific providers?

thanks for that. i hadn't even thought about renting furniture...could be a great idea for us. its great to moving to a country that has an infrastruture for immigrant needs. previoulsy when we've moved overseas we've been on our own. i did a quick google search for furniture rental...do you have know specific providers?

Rent Try Buy Flexible Rental Appliance Furniture | Radio Rentals Australia

Mr Rental | Rent a TV, Furniture, Fridge, Freezer, Washing Machine, White Goods, Computers - Mr Rental

Rentals2000 - Kitchen, Laundry, Audio Visual Rentals

I think Radio Rentals has the most flexible cost effective offers from what I can see...

Go for the house then, it will make you feel settled much quicker and you can easily break your lease if eventually you decide to leave. I didnt realise you could rent furniture thats a fantastic idea! Mount Hawthorn is a nice area as well, some bars and restaurants and not too far from the city. Our stuff got held in Freo for about a week when it arrived, just while customs checked it, as long as your stuff is clean and they dont find anything worrying then you get it quite quickly. Best of luck with it all!

I agree with those saying go for the Mount Hawthorn rental - it can be hard to find somewhere suitable, so better to have a few weeks inconvenience than months not liking your home. Our furniture took about 7 weeks in all (arrived Xmas Eve, which made for a fun Christmas day!) We found that rather then rent stuff, which worked out to be quite expensive, we just bought the bare minimum of stuff from IKEA. We survived with a cheap sofa-bed, a cheap kid's mattress, cheap duvets, 3 saucepans, cutlery and crockery (yep, cheap!) and 3 bar stools, and bought a great second hand tv for $50 through The Quokka. We have 3 kids, so spent weeks eating standing up. We've found all the stuff we bought has come in really handy as we now have more rooms than we had in the UK.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Mt Hawthorn is a very well established area and probs well sort after now . i stayed there 24years ago a two min walk from the Paddington Ale house , use to walk to the city too ,i would defo go for that and look around when your here......good luck ....

Thanks everyone for your replies. You all seem positive about Mount Hawthorn which helps us with one "unknown". This house isn't a definite for us as it will depend on when our visa's are issued, and how long the owner will be prepared to wait. But at least now i feel we should tell him we'd like to take it in principle. As for furniture. Its true its expensive to rent. Just for future reference for anyone else a full (3 bed house) incl everything will cost between $1500 and 2000 a month. Looking at 2nd hand site/ikea i guess you can buy quite a lot for this amount. However in our situation it might be better to rent as i think its more likely my company will pay as it seems more like a legitimate arrival expensive.than asking them to pick up my IKEA tab!!

Archived