What costs are incurred in Australia when you ship yourself.

the coyne family

Hi,

I'm thinking of renting a container and shipping my goods myself as its much much cheaper.

Does anyone know what costs are incurred once your container hits port in Australia???

I know I will have to pay for customs clearance and for a removal company to pick up my goods and take them to my new address but other than that I haven't a clue.

Does anyone know how much the customs clearance charges are?

Thank's,

Maria.x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest destinationoz

I didn't realise this was even an option ....

do you pack the container yourself?

who takes it to Aus?

what's a rough cost for a 20ft container?

sorry all the questions - hopefully it'll get answers to your Q too

Thanks!!

Hi there,

We're looking to do it ourselves too. I work in export so know a bit about shipping.

Have received 1 quote so far for a 20 footer France-Melbourne (excl. import taxes) for about 1700 EUR via HARTRODT.

For full info/taxes/quarantine costs (in case the container is blocked in customs) go to:

Moving to Australia or Importing Personal Effects/Household Goods - DAFF

If you're using wood crates or pallets make sure they're ISPM 15 certified. If not have the container fumigated at departure port, it'll save time because fumigating at destination is lengthy and more expensive.

Good luck

I am looking at this too in order to keep the costs down, we are in the south east going to Adelaide will let you know what prices I come up with.

My things to price so let me know what I have missed:

Packaging materials

Container

Container cleaning

Container delivery to port

Aqis fees

Delivery company in Adelaide. Couple men to unload. Won't have family/friends

What else

Michelle

Hi Michelle

If you ask for a full quote, the forwarder will normally include all costs incurred from loading to unloading exclusive of taxes and duties. There will be extra fees (around 50-70 £ per hr) for having the container at the loading address for more than 2 hrs (depends how fast you can get that done - maybe you have friends who can help you there?). You need enough packing materials/straps etc to ensure items do not move around in the container.

Don't forget the daily storage costs at the port...you get charged dock side charges if container not moved the same day...it then has to move to an AQIS approved storage to wait for customs to clear...so those charges too. Each port I believe is different.

We self loaded our own container and ended up paying another $3000 when it arrived here in Perth. Had to pay it all otherwise you will just not see your goods.

Personally I would not self load again.

this is just my opinion and based on our experience.

Sue

We self loaded our own container and ended up paying another $3000 when it arrived here in Perth. Had to pay it all otherwise you will just not see your goods.

Hi Sue

We're DIY-ing too and going to Perth next month. Can I ask what the extra $3000 consisted of?

I am looking at this too in order to keep the costs down, we are in the south east going to Adelaide will let you know what prices I come up with.

My things to price so let me know what I have missed:

Packaging materials

Container

Container cleaning

Container delivery to port

Aqis fees

Delivery company in Adelaide. Couple men to unload. Won't have family/friends

What else

Michelle

Insurance (although a lot do not like self packed as they believe professionally packed items are less likely to be damaged)?, possible storage fees. Good quality padded, breathable wrappings for sofas/chairs etc aren't cheap.

The professionals wrap furniture in this stuff to stop any rubbing, knocks and scratches and to help prevent mould. The containers do get shaken about a lot in heavy seas and loading/unloading so you really do need someone who knows how to load properly to help you.

I was told that Aqis are more likely to inspect self loaded containers more closely, do not know if this is true but it would seem to make sense as reputable removals companies would not risk importing and prohibited or dodgy items (with soil on etc).

I've been quoted 10 000 EUR (8000£) by a removals company to pack and ship the lot, excluding storage/customs on arrival, that means if extra charges are incurred as for Sue, the total may come to 12 000 EUR (10k £) in the end.

DIYing it may come to approx 2000 (house to port) + 2000 (the extra 3000$ Sue spoke about), so still only 5000 EUR. Not sure I'm prepared to pay an extra 8k for the hassle free service. Really I'd like to see comments from anyone who's done it and can speak from 1st hand experience.... anyone?

Thanks everyone for the reply's I think I'm going to go with the shipping company's.

The price I got to do it myself was very good €1600 for a 20ft shipped to Brisbane from Ireland, and then $2500 to get it to my new address 400 km away, it didn't include any extras port side charges or customs clearance charges etc etc.

I might only end up saving about €1000 or less so don't think its worth all the hassle.

Best of luck,

Maria.x

Thanks everyone for the reply's I think I'm going to go with the shipping company's.

The price I got to do it myself was very good €1600 for a 20ft shipped to Brisbane from Ireland, and then $2500 to get it to my new address 400 km away, it didn't include any extras port side charges or customs clearance charges etc etc.

I might only end up saving about €1000 or less so don't think its worth all the hassle.

Best of luck,

Maria.x

Hi Maria, could you tell us who gave the quote for €1600 for the 20ft? or is that allowed? We also pricing at the moment.

Hi Maria, could you tell us who gave the quote for €1600 for the 20ft? or is that allowed? We also pricing at the moment.

Hi a friend of mine has a haulage company and he got me the price.

I had a removal company out during the week and was saying it to them, he said thats about what they charge for the container, so no real difference. The problem is the charges you incurr in Australia, my friend also got me a price for road haulage in oz and it was $2500 so far in total thats about 3600 euro.

We would also have to export wrap and box all our own goods so more money for that and then there's the customs clearance charges and port charges.

The best price I've gotten from a removal company is 5100 euro, door to door thats for 750 CF.

Dont think its worth the hassle and stress to be honest i'd probably only end up saving a few hundred euro.

Were are you heading?

Maria.x

We are heading for Perth if our visa ever comes, We are hoping arround end july/August.

We have a new arrival comming soon so just trying to get as much as possible done before

then although we've just realised that shipping charges change every month thanks for the info

Fran

Guest mandi1971

I was quoted around £3500 from UK to Perth, door to door. We got a price a few years ago when we went to Canada and we saved almost half the cost by loading and unloading the container ourselves.

The only thing id watch is that you make sure its definitely door to door as i made that mistake and it was only door to port!!

I ended up with storage charges and more delivery costs etc at the other end which we hadn't budgeted for.:mad:

I didn't bother with the insurance, you do so at your own risk, but once again it saved me quite a bit.

In the end i think we paid no more than 2 grand.

Theres no way id pay others to load etc when i have two strong men here to do it and we tipped the driver to help out aswell.:wink:

Mandi

Archived