Moving to Victoria 2011?

cornish78

Guest mazkinmond5
Sunbury is quite different to Melton, I liked them both but would probably go for Sunbury except it is too far inland for me. Gisbourne looks nice up that way too. I would not go for Craigiburn.:unsure:

Is distance to the city an issue? would you be needing public transport to commute in and out of the city? If so I would check out Metlink and viclink for timetables etc to give you an idea of frequency and timings of the trains.

We have been to Eynsbury today, which is close to Melton, it is a new township which is growing slowly. if you have children you would need to think about doctors etc because there are none there at the moment, evrybody goes to Melton, the kids get bussed to schools as there are no schools yet - the town centre and schools are scheduled to be started in a year or two depending on how the population grows.

it ticks lots of boxes for us and we do not have young children, so we do not have to worry about schools etc. However it is further from the city, the nearest train station is about a 10 min drive. BUT I have to regularly drive to the North, North East, East and South East suburbs so it will add about 20 mins onto my journeys. They (at Eynesbury) say it is 40 mins from the city but the reality in peak hour traffic is more like 1 hour or longer.

From where I am now in Deer Park, a 40 min journey to Burwood, takes me anything up to 1hr 15 mins and sometimes longer depending on which idiot decides to crash or break down on the West Gate bridge. So we need to think if it would be worth the extra journey - at the moment I think it would be.

What about Point Cook? Williams landing? Wyndham Vale? Werribee?

Good luck with your journey to Oz:yes:

Karen

Hi Karen, thanks for that, yea I was talking to someone else on here they have suggested Werribee also, so have continued my research there! thanks again.

Maz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Karen, thanks for that, yea I was talking to someone else on here they have suggested Werribee also, so have continued my research there! thanks again.

Maz

I live in Williams Landing. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Clak

Also wanted to say that we have been in the Western suburbs of Melbourne for almost 3 years and I would be happy to help out in any way, just ask on here or send me a PM

I also travel around the suburbs for my job so I have a little bit of knowlege on other suburbs too.

Also up for any sort of meet up (well not ANY! but you know what I mean) a quick coffe and a chat or a meal or meet up in a park.

There is no such thing as a stupid question ;0)

Hiya,

What do you think about Caroline Springs, Deer Park, Burnside Heights? My OH (who's from Melbourne) has been offered a job in Sunshine. I'm happy to settle in the West but he wants inner suburbs (which cost an arm and a leg for a shoebox!) We have an 18 moth old daughter so I'm more interested in child friendly places rather than how close we are to town!

Hope you can shed some light,

Amanda

Guest Dfraser

Hi I was offered a job in Melbourne on Sunday night - my first interview! Our house goes on the market tomorrow. My employer wants me to go over asap but mo date agreed yet. It would be great to meet up with others when I get there.

What sites did you use to organise your accommodation for when you first arrived?

Guest Revs30
Hi I was offered a job in Melbourne on Sunday night - my first interview! Our house goes on the market tomorrow. My employer wants me to go over asap but mo date agreed yet. It would be great to meet up with others when I get there.

What sites did you use to organise your accommodation for when you first arrived?

If its for furnished short stay accommodation try these:

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/

http://www.stayz.com.au

http://www.gumtree.com.au/

Ooo lots of people appear to be on PiO moving to Melbourne today! The more the merrier I say :biggrin:

Dfraser - we used Stayz in the end, Moving to Melbourne were also very helpful - we've secured a flat for 2 weeks in the CBD when we move out in October, hoping to use that 2 weeks to find something longer term.

Well done for getting a job on the first interview!

Ooo lots of people appear to be on PiO moving to Melbourne today! The more the merrier I say :biggrin:

Dfraser - we used Stayz in the end, Moving to Melbourne were also very helpful - we've secured a flat for 2 weeks in the CBD when we move out in October, hoping to use that 2 weeks to find something longer term.

You said you think two weeks should be enough to find proper accomodation in Melbourne? This would be a dream. I was thinking of something like 2 to 3 months similar to the usual London flat hunting times.

Is it true it only takes 2 weeks?:shocked:

I've read on here that it can take anything from 1-4 weeks, if not longer. We are possibly being optimistic about the 2 weeks, but also don't want to be paying twice if we do find somewhere in 2 weeks.

I did read in one of the updates that someone had found somewhere within a week - I think it is do-able if you're prepared to look at a lot of places and be prepared with references, ID etc.

If we don't then hopefully we can extend where we are or find somewhere else short term.

• 1 month later...

So - how are everyone's plans going? I know some of you have already made the move - let us know how you're getting on :wink:

I've booked the shippers, got the invites for the party and almost told work - told my senior boss last week - telling my team this week (if I'm feeling brave). Also sorted bank accounts and two weeks accommodation.

Still 4 months to go - running out of things to do!! :twitcy:

Guest VickyMel

I hang my head in shame :notworthy: you are so organised!

We have 2 months to go - no removers booked yet - no flight tickets booked yet - no bank accounts sorted yet - no jobs sorted yet!

Although I have done loads of research on these I just can't seem to get over that last hurdle of booking them!

I have been cleaning stuff, taking loads of stuff to charity shops, am supposed to be selling some things as well.

So we are 2 months to go and the list is getting longer! :wacko:

But all will be well at the end of the day

Guest loudu
You said you think two weeks should be enough to find proper accomodation in Melbourne? This would be a dream. I was thinking of something like 2 to 3 months similar to the usual London flat hunting times.

Is it true it only takes 2 weeks?:shocked:

Hey,

we only booked 2weeks short term accom for when we arrived here last nov. we had thought we would start with 2weeks short term rental and if we needed to - we could always rent somewhere for another few weeks. But in the end we did find somewhere to rent in the 2weeks.

I think time of year can have an impact too - there was a good few places on the viewing lists in nov&dec- but we have noticed that there seems to be much more on the rental lists in april&may.

for us - i think that 2weeks was a good way to start out. Maybe if you had kids and/or needed a bit more stability - a longer initial booking may be a good idea. It depends how flexible you are.

Louise.

I hang my head in shame :notworthy: you are so organised!

We have 2 months to go - no removers booked yet - no flight tickets booked yet - no bank accounts sorted yet - no jobs sorted yet!

Although I have done loads of research on these I just can't seem to get over that last hurdle of booking them!

I have been cleaning stuff, taking loads of stuff to charity shops, am supposed to be selling some things as well.

So we are 2 months to go and the list is getting longer! :wacko:

But all will be well at the end of the day

LOL - I am bordering on obsessive and like to be ahead of schedule :biggrin:

Have you decided where you are heading? Melbourne or the country?

Guest VickyMel
LOL - I am bordering on obsessive and like to be ahead of schedule :biggrin:

Have you decided where you are heading? Melbourne or the country?

:laugh: I was bordering obsessive (I carry a bag around with all the detail so I can check what is happening at any moment of the day :wacko:) - but it suddenly just stopped - someone needs to kick my backside and I'll get moving again :wink:

We are most likely to get jobs near/in the city so will start there first - jobs are the priority - and we would go anywhere - I'd happily live outside the city.

OH has some friends just outside Frankstone who have offered to put us up for a few days or cpl of weeks (OH has not asked exactly how long the offer was for :err: so we are not too sure :cool:).

So we will look for somewhere from there, hopefully we can pick up some work quickly as it will be difficult to take anything other than short term accommodation until we know where we will be working.

Guest jubbsy

We're moving out in Nov and have just organised 4 shippers to come and give us quotes. We already have our faves and our one not-fave!!! Can't believe its all happening...the more we start organising the more real it's all becoming! Can't wait to get on that plane to Melbourne and have that lovely glass of champers!!!! We now need to start thinking about booking the temp accom...

171 days to go, HOORAY!!!

Guest VickyMel

We have had 3 removers around for quotes and really must pick one although I think I already have my preferred choice.

My OH said to me today when we met for lunch "this time in 2 months we will be in Melbourne":wideeyed:

Guest jubbsy
Love the fact we're all counting down...132 days, 3 hrs, 45 mins for us :biggrin:

Ahhhh, I see your OH is network Security and you're on a 176. Snap! Exactly the same as us! Maybe we could keep in touch for contacts etc? Maybe a PM?

And a countdown is essential!!!!! I drive everybody nuts with it!

Ahhhh, I see your OH is network Security and you're on a 176. Snap! Exactly the same as us! Maybe we could keep in touch for contacts etc? Maybe a PM?

And a countdown is essential!!!!! I drive everybody nuts with it!

Definitely! Will PM now...

Guest VickyMel

OK - I'm a little saner this morning we decided on a removal company last night!

1 thing sorted - another 104 things on my list of things to do remaining.

Guest Scotinaus

Hi, I haven't read all the posts on this thread as it is very long but just wanted to say that I have lived in Melbourne for 7 years now. Its a wonderful city and I am sure you will all have a great time here and not regret your decision to come. I've spent a fair amount of time visiting various parts of Victoria as well so am happy to answer any questions anyone might have about the area.

Welcome to all those who have just arrived!

OK - I'm a little saner this morning we decided on a removal company last night!

1 thing sorted - another 104 things on my list of things to do remaining.

Thats only 2 a day then. :wink: Should be a breeze.

Guest VickyMel
Thats only 2 a day then. :wink: Should be a breeze.

:swoon: Oh I needed that

Thank you that made me laugh :laugh:

Spending today trying to sort all the forms for money transfers!

I'd best sort something else out as well then!

Of course - given your other posts on the other thread - I now have an extra task next week thinking about whether we should go furnished or unfurnished until we know what we are up to!

Guest auzsci

Hi all,

This is my first post in this thread. Got our 176 granted in March and have just got back from our validation trip to Melbourne. It was lovely! We can see that we'll love living there....

I wish we could make the move straight away but have to be here because of work commitments (boring!) :SLEEP: So strictly speaking we won't be making the move in 2011 (although my OH might go there by the end of this year to set up house etc.) but I will probably move early 2012 if I can finalise my work quickly!!! I still haven't told my boss or colleagues as I think it's too early....

Auzsci :cute:

Archived