business 163 granted

Niki

Hi Niki P

I see you have made it there! How are you enjoying your life in Sunshine Coast so far? How is your hunt for businesses coming along? Have your kids gone to school and if so, have they settled in?

We're still waiting - we lodged March 2009 - so hopefully not too long a wait now!

Emma

Hi Niki P

I see you have made it there! How are you enjoying your life in Sunshine Coast so far? How is your hunt for businesses coming along? Have your kids gone to school and if so, have they settled in?

We're still waiting - we lodged March 2009 - so hopefully not too long a wait now!

Emma

Hi Emma,

Good to hear from you, and lets hope you hear some news soon. Its been such a long wait for you.

Well all I can say at this stage is Yes the grass is greener!!!

We were fortunate to have settled and have everything sorted within a couple of weeks and never looked back.

The twins aged 16, are loving every day and start school on Monday, as it has been summer holidays here, so looking forward to some normality. They seemed to have settled and have managed to meet their new classmates during the holidays so the 1st day wont seem too bad(there is only 11 in their year).

Business is a little trickier as we had no intention of proceeding with our business plan, and have had to apply for a change of business with Qld immigration. It doesnt seem to be a problem, just formalities.

Starting forget the hard times and stress with the visa, it was definatley worth it!!

Nicki

Hi Niki P

Really glad you're settling in - yes I forgot it's summer holidays for the kids until mid of Jan. Is it still raining there or have you managed to miss it being on the Sunshine Coast?

Let me know how you get on with your hunt for businesses. Are you still looking at cafes?

Emma

Hi Emma

Sunny coast is holding up to it's name!! We have heavy downpours but Twinkie later it's thirty degrees again

In talks and offer stage of a Gloria jeans. Franchise sort of like costa coffee but they don't really take people with temp visas so just waiting for outcome

Aah I remember Gloria Jeans.. we even went to one in Istanbul!

Be careful with franchises though you need to be absolutely sure the ownership criteria will pass the DIAC test for the PR visa.

mel

Hi Mel,

Cant see why it is a problem, turnover is $550k and investment is over twice as much as original business plan that was passed.

We have put in a formal request with QLD immigration for change of business, they dont seem to think its a problem, its more a problem if you invest less than your anticipated business plan, they feel short changed( SS QLD officers words)

If turnover is under $400k you have to own at least 51% of the business, but as its over we will be able to own 50/50 each.

What other implications do you think there will be? If I have put in this formal request and all detailed figures/plan and they if they approve, surely my back is covered?

Nicki

Just something I was told about actual ownership and how and who holds the shares.

Business share ownership is different in Oz and there are different share ownership models.

Might be worth just checking it out with someone who knows for sure for peace of mind.

Franchise models can also work differently.

Just something I was told about actual ownership and how and who holds the shares.

Business share ownership is different in Oz and there are different share ownership models.

Might be worth just checking it out with someone who knows for sure for peace of mind.

Franchise models can also work differently.

Hi Mel,

Thanks will wait for approval from immigration,should know in a couple of days and double check everything!!!

I am a bit confused as our agents The Emigration Group set us up with a couple of franchisors over 2yrs ago and we flew out for business meetings. I must of had a strong application as I never had any contact with case officer and my visa was granted in less than 10mths.

They certainly want us business owners to jump thru hoops!!!

Nicki

after 16 months of not knowing we now know! our business 163 visa has been granted!

SO happy !!

good luck to anyone else out there , its worth the wait :biggrin:

Hi Niki

Just wanted to add our congratulations. It is a long, arduous road just to get a temp visa on a 163, but that makes it so worthwhile. We arrived in Sydney in Dec 2009 on a 163 and you couldn't drag us back to the UK now. Martin has nightmares in which the State Sponsorship people deny him a permanent visa....

Well done and enjoy the rest of the journey.

Lisa :cute:

Guest Toorak Trev
Hi Mel,

Cant see why it is a problem, turnover is $550k and investment is over twice as much as original business plan that was passed.

We have put in a formal request with QLD immigration for change of business, they dont seem to think its a problem, its more a problem if you invest less than your anticipated business plan, they feel short changed( SS QLD officers words)

If turnover is under $400k you have to own at least 51% of the business, but as its over we will be able to own 50/50 each.

What other implications do you think there will be? If I have put in this formal request and all detailed figures/plan and they if they approve, surely my back is covered?

Nicki

What about a 15% stake in a business?

Hi other Nicki (Parbuttn)

Great to hear you've settled in so well. It's actually reassuring and uplifting to read positive reports from those who have already got there. We are coming out in June, can't wait to join everybody on the sunshine coast!!!

Enjoyed your reccie report as well

Keep dry!!!

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your kind words!!

You have to come here with a total positive attitude or I dont think it can work.

Its true to say that I had read so many horror stories on here of people not finding rentals,schools unable to phone/internet contracts etc or just not being able to settle. Its not cheap anymore, but its all swings and roundabouts. I dont think it costs more to live here than UK.

The sunny coast is certainly living up to its name, and is so laid back, everyone is so helpful and friendly and I'm sure you will be fine. We couldnt decide between the GC or SC but have visited friends several times since we have arrived and know we have made the right choice for us. We feel really settled, and are in the process of buying a business, a bit scary but I still think the anxiety and living in limbo waiting for the blimmin visa was the worst.

We are gradually forgetting all that, as we strut around in our bikinis!

We really do not want to go home. Let us know when you arrive or if you need info let us know.

Nicki P

Hi Nicki P

Couldn't agree more on the positive attitude.

We have visited the Sunshine coast a couple of times before so we know what to expect on the plus and minus side, such as crap chinese takeaways, but hey I'll guess I will have to learn to live without them. :0)

I was wondering if you could recommend and give me a ball park figure on who you used for your container transport, a bit cheeky I know but I recall you did a lot of homework on this and it would help to have a recommend.

Keep enjoying the sun out there you lucky people, it's bloody brass monkey time over here and more snow on the way soon :o(

Take care

Regards

Jon

Archived