Tips on coping with the UK winter

mrsindecision

Practically everyone i know has had flu, wether its the same strain going round i don't know, but it has effected us all differently, me i thought i would stop breathing, the wife had a sceptic throat and was on anti-biotics, the kids were different again, spewing up and we all had the snot grobbling symptoms, that don't seem to go away, for weeks. Most of my family and work colleagues have had it and each year the strains get worse, i heard that double the amount of people have died with flu this year, to last year and casualty departments are over run, so my tip is............... wear a mask all year. As for the snow, the kids played in it for two days and then with the arctic -20 nights it turned to ice and no one was playing in it, my next door neighbour slipped on the ice and shattered her ankle. If you like the horrible long freezing weather here in the uk, you are in the monority, its mostly what everyone i know complains about, just how horrible and oppressive it is. Drink, drugs or both should help you get through it. lol

Wear a mask all year? what are you on about Hoff.?

I have not had the flu and I know no one who has, bad cold yes and I suspect a lot of people think it is the flu when it is only a bad cold, what do people expect in the UK :embarrassed: it is winter and it gets cold and icy, In Canada it gets twice as cold and snowfalls are far heavier and last far longer and just get on with it, we are becoming just to soft.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not had the flu and I know no one who has, bad cold yes and I suspect a lot of people think it is the flu when it is only a bad cold, what do people expect in the UK :embarrassed: it is winter and it gets cold and icy, In Canada it gets twice as cold and snowfalls are far heavier and last far longer and just get on with it, we are becoming just to soft.

Exactly. I can't say I love how long it goes on for, but it doesn't bother me, or stop me living my life, especially now my kids are old enough to get themselves in their cold weather gear:wink:. There are so many bigger things to worry about in life than snow and rain.

Light a fire, cook a meal and invite friends round to share it....

Must admit me and mine have been very fit and healthy with no colds or flu since coming back. Last year in Oz the country came to a halt with swine flu everyone was sick - couldn't fly interstate etc. For me its just about the grey - I need to deal with that and look forward to the spring - Friday in London was absolutely stunning brilliant sunshine and blue clear sky. Have taken to standing in sunny bits of the garden when the sun is out - looking forward to lying in my hammock (even with a blanket) without any suncream and or shelter for the sun and watching the Red Kites flying overhead.

Must admit me and mine have been very fit and healthy with no colds or flu since coming back. Last year in Oz the country came to a halt with swine flu everyone was sick - couldn't fly interstate etc. For me its just about the grey - I need to deal with that and look forward to the spring - Friday in London was absolutely stunning brilliant sunshine and blue clear sky. Have taken to standing in sunny bits of the garden when the sun is out - looking forward to lying in my hammock (even with a blanket) without any suncream and or shelter for the sun and watching the Red Kites flying overhead.

I bought my first daffodils on Friday. Spring is almost here!:yes:

I had loads of colds in Oz and infections from mozzie bites but have had no colds or anything since I have been back, touch wood, London has been cold but with the sun has been nice over the lsat few weeks, spring and summer is on it's way mate and long evenings sitting outside a pub at 10 at night with a pint of decent ale in your hand :cute:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Record numbers of staff off work at my place and the wifes hospital with flu, really bad strains where they are off longer than normal. A&E departments up and down the country are fit to bursting, its like this every year, the mask thing was a joke, but i see people walking about with the medical masks hoping to not get swine flu. Your lucky if you haven't had it, its probably because you got really fit and healthy living in warmer climes in Australia and your immune system is good, give it a couple of more years and you will be like the rest of us.

Record numbers of staff off work at my place and the wifes hospital with flu, really bad strains where they are off longer than normal. A&E departments up and down the country are fit to bursting, its like this every year, the mask thing was a joke, but i see people walking about with the medical masks hoping to not get swine flu. Your lucky if you haven't had it, its probably because you got really fit and healthy living in warmer climes in Australia and your immune system is good, give it a couple of more years and you will be like the rest of us.

Have to disagree - australians I know were all ill last year with flue and masks were being worn everywhere especially on planes - and lots of general colds and flu there - just as much as here. Wasn't ill there put it down to robust constitution developed here in UK. Made of tougher stuff - Ozzies were always reaching for the tablets at the first sign of a sniffle and sickies commonplace.

Record numbers of staff off work at my place and the wifes hospital with flu, really bad strains where they are off longer than normal. A&E departments up and down the country are fit to bursting, its like this every year, the mask thing was a joke, but i see people walking about with the medical masks hoping to not get swine flu. Your lucky if you haven't had it, its probably because you got really fit and healthy living in warmer climes in Australia and your immune system is good, give it a couple of more years and you will be like the resst of u.

Hoff i actually had far more bad colds and infections from mozzie bites (allergic reactions) than I have had in the UK, flu and cold strains are world wide and are carried in every Country in the world, you cannot escape them.

Hoff i actually had far more bad colds and infections from mozzie bites (allergic reactions) than I have had in the UK, flu and cold strains are world wide and are carried in every Country in the world, you cannot escape them.

We did too. I think you become immune to your 'own' bugs then get them again when you move, perhaps because they mutate as they travel across the world? Add to that a white tailed spider bite which knocked me off my feet for almost a month and I don't believe it's better anywhere. Colds and 'flu are the same wherever you are.

We did too. I think you become immune to your 'own' bugs then get them again when you move, perhaps because they mutate as they travel across the world? Add to that a white tailed spider bite which knocked me off my feet for almost a month and I don't believe it's better anywhere. Colds and 'flu are the same wherever you are.

Spot on, I have a real bad reaction to mozzie and spider bites, they become big blisters that burst and just get infected for weeks, the drone of a mozzie makes me come over quite scared, thank god I have not heard one for a while.

Did i read some where that TB is now rife again in certain parts of the UK with the huge influx of immigrants ?

TB rife in the UK:eek: was in in the Daily Mail? never heard in on the news or in the papers, if it would be through immigration then Oz and every other Country that has immagrants would have TB s well.

TB rife in the UK:eek: was in in the Daily Mail? never heard in on the news or in the papers, if it would be through immigration then Oz and every other Country that has immagrants would have TB s well.

sorry mate thought this thread was on tips to deal with the cold I will find another thread to tag some stats to:unsure:

Guest peacock

only asked the question Bobby, calm down, relax, turn on your lamp !! :biglaugh:

It's a myth about being healthier in Oz, there are plenty of flu outbreaks there aswell. I work in intensive care and last winter before the so called outbreak of swine flu, we had lots of advice from Doctors working in intensive care in Australia because of the big outbreak they had there. As it turned out the Uk wasn't affected as they first thought. This year there has been a fair bit of flu about but according to the consultants in the intensive care units in Edinburgh this isn't much different to any other winter and the cases of flu being hospitalised. I work between 2 ICU's and one has had a few admissions with flu and the other one has not beem badly affected at all. I was speaking to a respiratory consultant the other day and agian there has been the usual admissions this winter not any worse than any other year. From personal experience when we lived in Oz twice my children were hospitalised with pneumonia and a vomitng bug, none of my 4 children have ever been hospitalised here.

I find it incredible for people to convince themselves that in the Uk we all get lots of terrible bugs but in Oz you will be so healthy and rarely ill!!!!!

I think it the perception that in UK the papers and media that we are going to hell in a handcart, the Daily Mail said there would be thousands dying on the streets with this worldwide swine-flu whereas other Countries including Oz deal in reality.

The media in the UK always blow everything out of proportion with “mad cow disease” etc etc.

Guest peacock
I think it the perception that in UK the papers and media that we are going to hell in a handcart, the Daily Mail said there would be thousands dying on the streets with this worldwide swine-flu whereas other Countries including Oz deal in reality.

The media in the UK always blow everything out of proportion with “mad cow disease” etc etc.

Mad cow now thats an interesting one, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease [vCJD] , you are not allowed to give blood in Australia if you resided in the UK between 1980-1996, the UK government lied to us and through lying coniving government left a whole generation wondering if there ticking timebombs.

Mad cow now thats an interesting one, or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease [vCJD] , you are not allowed to give blood in Australia if you resided in the UK between 1980-1996, the UK government lied to us and through lying coniving government left a whole generation wondering if there ticking timebombs.

Did you know that France has had "mad cow diesease" for far longer that the UK but they did not publise it like are stupid media dis shouting to the world "look at us, look at us"

French Mad Cow Epidemic Went Undetected, Telegraph Reports

French Mad Cow Epidemic Went Undetected, Telegraph Reports - Bloomberg

Telegraph 13 September 2005

The scale of France's mad cow disease epidemic has been laid bare in a report from scientists.

The revelation that BSE was rife in France in the early 1990s comes a decade after its illegal ban on British beef drove many UK farmers into bankruptcy.

The study was ordered by a Paris judge investigating why nine French citizens died from variant Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human form of BSE, between 1996 and 2006.

It found that their lives could have been saved if the French government had done more to prevent the spread of the disease after its discovery in 1986.

We returned from Brisbane in June 2010, been there for 8 months, lack of work and money made the decision of returning back to the uk. I cant tell you how much I miss the Australian weather, even my little boy who is 7 cant get his head around the uk weather, he says why are the days so dark and short here, me I just hate every second on being here, would do anything to go back, my other half loves the UK more. The weather in the uk is so dark and drab.

We returned from Brisbane in June 2010, been there for 8 months, lack of work and money made the decision of returning back to the uk. I cant tell you how much I miss the Australian weather, even my little boy who is 7 cant get his head around the uk weather, he says why are the days so dark and short here, me I just hate every second on being here, would do anything to go back, my other half loves the UK more. The weather in the uk is so dark and drab.

Don't worry summer is on it's way and the long light days will be back, it gets dark in Oz very early even in the summer and when I was there I did miss the long summer nights.

Well for me, one beautiful summers day in Yorkshire is worth a thousand hot, humid, energy sapping summers day in Sydney.

Although to be honest my favourite season in the UK is Autumn, the bright frosty mornings really do it for me. I think the key for me is diversity, I always looked forward to the start of the different seasons, Australia (well Sydney) just doesn't have proper seasons, and it rains a lot more and heavier than in England.

Guest chris955

I can't say the UK winter ever really bothered me, it was just another season. When spring, summer and autumn arrives it was all worthwhile. I am sat here on one of those hot, humid energy sapping days and it isn't fun. My wife absolutely hates the weather here.

Guest siamsusie
Don't worry summer is on it's way and the long light days will be back, it gets dark in Oz very early even in the summer and when I was there I did miss the long summer nights.

There are states that enjoy Summer Time such as Victoria, Tasmania etc, lovely balmy evenings.

WA (north) had a trial period but it really was too hot for the workers up there in the bush. I personally disliked the heat late in the evening.

Guest cricketbackinengland

I love winter but I struggle with the light so we erected a string of coloured led lights around the room and bought the clear led light branches that you stand in a vase. We have also bought several coloured Tiffany style lamps. Both of us have found that we feel a lot brighter in our mood when we have all these lights on. It's really made a difference having bright, cheery coloured lights around the room.

Just a tip, don't buy the blue or white clear led lights, too cold looking. Get the yellow ones plus the multi coloured ones too.

Archived