Canberra Get Together

clickettuk

Hi All PIO's in Canberra,

We're heading for Canberra very soon and will arrive on February 3rd. It would be great to meet up with anyone who's already made the move. I'm emigrating with my partner and we've never been to Canberra before.

If you're interested let us know and we can make some arrangements. Anyone know of a good meeting venue???

Cheers.

Michael.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have had get togethers at the George Harcourt pub at Nicholls George Harcourt Inn, The | Restaurants, Clubs, Style, Arts, Functions and more in the past (it was being renovated, not sure if it is still in the throes of that though). Another group had a gtg at a pub in Kingston (the Durham I think The Durham | Restaurants, Clubs, Style, Arts, Functions and more). I guess it all depends on what sort of get together you want and if families have kids etc.

Personally I am more of a "catch you for coffee" kind of girl!

Good luck, not long to go now!

Hi Michael

We haven't had a get together in a while so I'm sure that a few would like to get together again. We have met up in both Gold Creek & Kingston, Kingston being a bit easier for some as we're spread through Canberra & Queanbeyan. Let us know when you've arrived & got your feet on the ground & what area your staying in.

Have a good trip over!

Jacqui

There's a good mix of us from families to couples with a mix of time lived in Canberra. Sorry its taken time to reply, but a lot of people will be on holiday at the moment.

Guest tomandroz
Hi All PIO's in Canberra,

We're heading for Canberra very soon and will arrive on February 3rd. It would be great to meet up with anyone who's already made the move. I'm emigrating with my partner and we've never been to Canberra before.

If you're interested let us know and we can make some arrangements. Anyone know of a good meeting venue???

Cheers.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

We are moving to Canberra next week, and are due to arrive on the 21st January! We also have never visited Canberra before, and would be delighted to have a 'get together' sadly I can not help with any suggestions for a meeting venue, just yet.

Best of luck with your move.

Regards,

TomandRoz

Hi Michael,

We are moving to Canberra next week, and are due to arrive on the 21st January! We also have never visited Canberra before, and would be delighted to have a 'get together' sadly I can not help with any suggestions for a meeting venue, just yet.

Best of luck with your move.

Regards,

TomandRoz

Hi,

Would be great to meet you guys. Have sent you a private message.

Michael and Mark.

Guest claire delighted

Hi Jacqui we are just waiting on the visa to be granted we have had our medicals and think we should have them around march we are hoping to move over to canberra around july/august time we are really nervous and worried about work and were to live. How long have you been in Canberra, were are you living, can you give me any advice. I am concerned about my daugher as we have been doing the visa for 2 years now and she is 18 will she meet people her age and is it lively enough for her! Sorry for all the questions just starting to panick now :)

Hi Claire. We've been in Canberra 16mths now & loving it. Work wasn't so bad for us as Steve is sponsored so that side was sorted & I got work at the same company. Some friends that we've met here arrived just after us and managed to sort work ok. Depends what it is your going for. The same friends daughter was 18 just as she arrived & she has settled in & gained friends really quick so I don't think you need to worry there. We work in Woden & managed to rent a Lovely new house in Chisholm 10 mins from work. Because we came over on a sponsored visa it was really quick visa was granted in 3 weeks & we were here within 6 weeks, we have no kids so bit easier for us. We loved it the minute we arrived

Hope this helps a bit & let us know how your getting on. When you arrive we'll organize a PIO get together so you can meet people. Jacqui

Hi Michael

We haven't had a get together in a while so I'm sure that a few would like to get together again. We have met up in both Gold Creek & Kingston, Kingston being a bit easier for some as we're spread through Canberra & Queanbeyan. Let us know when you've arrived & got your feet on the ground & what area your staying in.

Have a good trip over!

Jacqui

There's a good mix of us from families to couples with a mix of time lived in Canberra. Sorry its taken time to reply, but a lot of people will be on holiday at the moment.

It has been a while since we did anything, what about a Bbq in one of the parks while the weathers nice?

Guest clairedelighted

Hi Jacqui for the quick reply had to change my password and email was having problems loggin back in, i will keep in touch with you and all the poms in oz as i feel so much better about moving to Canberra reading all the comments. Cant wait and will state as soon as i book the flights, only worry now is the dogs on their flights and quarantine as they are my babies now lol But cant wait to meet people when i arrive and think its great everyone is willing to help and meet up fantastic.:laugh:

Ok then - what about the afternoon of Sunday 6th of February around 1-2ish ?

Next question is where? Bbqs at Regatta point near the Captain Cook Memorial, Weston Park is nice, Black Mountain Peninsula or some new ones at Lake Ginnindera

Any other suggestions?

We'd be up for the 6th February. As we'll be new to Canberra we can't offer any suggestions for a venue though!

Michael and Mark.

Hi Guys

We love the idea of a get together if you don't mind us gate crashing, weve been here since 1st September and it would be great to meet some friends outside of work and people who are new or not so new to Canberra. We are a couple in our mid 30's with a two year old Ellie.

Gina, David and Ellie

Guest Rich&Tara
Hi Claire. We've been in Canberra 16mths now & loving it. Work wasn't so bad for us as Steve is sponsored so that side was sorted & I got work at the same company. Some friends that we've met here arrived just after us and managed to sort work ok. Depends what it is your going for. The same friends daughter was 18 just as she arrived & she has settled in & gained friends really quick so I don't think you need to worry there. We work in Woden & managed to rent a Lovely new house in Chisholm 10 mins from work. Because we came over on a sponsored visa it was really quick visa was granted in 3 weeks & we were here within 6 weeks, we have no kids so bit easier for us. We loved it the minute we arrived

Hope this helps a bit & let us know how your getting on. When you arrive we'll organize a PIO get together so you can meet people. Jacqui

Hi

We are new to Canberra also, been here now for 5 months, looking to meet new friends. Would be great if you could let us know where/when any PIO get together would be as we would like to join you??

Thanks

Tara & Rich

Ok then - what about the afternoon of Sunday 6th of February around 1-2ish ?

Next question is where? Bbqs at Regatta point near the Captain Cook Memorial, Weston Park is nice, Black Mountain Peninsula or some new ones at Lake Ginnindera

Any other suggestions?

Hi RobandCatherine

all good suggestions, a couple of others to add into the mix, would be, Lennox Gardens behind the Hyatt, nice litte park, with BBQ, nice quiet areas and a large lawned area for the kids to play ball etc. Corin Forest is also worth a consideration if people don't mind a drive around the cotter loop but it is a little out of town, there is however the benefit of a toboggan ride for those kids amongst us.

We would be happy to meet anywhere though.

Peter, Tracy and the girls

Hi Everyone,

LETS SAY 6TH FEBRUARY IS A DEFINITE DATE!!!!!!!

Could those of you already in Canberra choose and confirm a great venue, bearing in mind some of us will be new to the city and might not have transport to travel too far from the centre.

As we're new to Australian life, what do we need to bring to a BBQ?????

If anyone here is on Facebook, feel free to contact us via private message on POI.

Cheers,

Mark and Michael.

Hi Everyone,

LETS SAY 6TH FEBRUARY IS A DEFINITE DATE!!!!!!!

Could those of you already in Canberra choose and confirm a great venue, bearing in mind some of us will be new to the city and might not have transport to travel too far from the centre.

As we're new to Australian life, what do we need to bring to a BBQ?????

If anyone here is on Facebook, feel free to contact us via private message on POI.

Cheers,

Mark and Michael.

hi Mark and Michael,

we have just PM you.:)

we wish that we could make it to the get together.. but we will only be in Canberra around September ..

cheers!

ching

Guest tomandroz

Hi,

We landed yesterday, and have enjoyed our first 24 hours here in Canberra, if a little 'spun-out' by the flight. we are still struggling to adjust.

So far, so good. Looking forward to the meet-up.

Bye for Now

TomandRoz

Hi,

We landed yesterday, and have enjoyed our first 24 hours here in Canberra, if a little 'spun-out' by the flight. we are still struggling to adjust.

So far, so good. Looking forward to the meet-up.

Bye for Now

TomandRoz

Ah, so you brought the rain with you, did you? Looks like being a ripper of a night! Hope you arent camping LOL

Archived