Danger Eastern Australia Floods

Proview220

What are the main affected areas on the east coast that have been hammered with rain, Why have these areas been affected so badley, are the properties here built on flat area, flood plane etc, these areas may put potential home buyers off from buying within these areas.

Proview

Guest Guest40285
What are the main affected areas on the east coast that have been hammered with rain, Why have these areas been affected so badley, are the properties here built on flat area, flood plane etc, these areas may put potential home buyers off from buying within these areas.

Proview

Are you for real mate ? Who cares about real estate, what about the poor people that have had their houses ruined, its just a deluge of rain and certain rivers breaking their banks, also down to the weather pattern we are having here at the moment.

Guest chris955

It has affected an area the size of New South Wales, it is totally unprecedented and must be heartbreaking to see your house completely under water as many are.

Are you for real mate ? Who cares about real estate, what about the poor people that have had their houses ruined, its just a deluge of rain and certain rivers breaking their banks, also down to the weather pattern we are having here at the moment.

Sorry if I have upset you in any way, I have every sympathy for these people who's lives and homes have been devastated by these awful conditions, I have family in QL area myself,( Jimboomba).

It may sound heartless for me to ask this question but I can assure you These people have my sympathy.

Ps, You never did answer my question.

Proview

This great country kicks and screams every so often with natural disasters which make us remember just how inhospitable the place is.

However, Australians take it in their stride. I have seen no hysteria here to match that which I saw when homes were flooded in Berkshire a few years ago. Someone said to me today that those early settlers who could cope stayed while those who couldn't left.

We have seen Aussies looking down at floodwaters from the balcony of a high set pub in Bundy. Just watching the water. No panic. Just resignation.

What is wonderful to see is the mate-ship. Everyone seems to genuinely want to help those affected. We have two big containers being filled in Gladstone this week ready to be taken to Emerald.

Also, the State Emergency Service is a fantastic resource. There is nothing like it in UK. It blows my mind. (OH has joined and is currently in Rockhampton for the week).

As well as that, a mobile deployment unit has been brought up from Brisbane. All set up with air conditioned tents, equipment and paramedics, waiting to receive casualties brought in to our airport by helicopter.

Another thing I was told today is that the old wooden Queenslander houses fare pretty well in the floods. Sort out the flooring, dry them out and they are good as new. However the newer houses with Gyproc (?sp) walls obviously don't fare too well at all.

If you are worried, then look to buy property on high ground. But flooding isn't the only peril here!!!!!

Proview

The floods are mainly in regional coastal towns and inland country towns located next to rivers.

Some of the towns flood quite regularly (eg Emerald) and people are used to it but this year has been the wettest for 30-40 years due to the convergence of two different "wet" weather systems in the same year I think and so the floods are bigger than normal and in some cases it is the biggest flood the town has seen for 150 years. That means people who would normally be out of the flood would be surprised to find themselves in it.

A lot of new people move interstate or emigrate to Australia and do not ask these questions and sometimes end up with a low lying house in a flood prone area that the locals may not touch.

Guest flakey

Proview

There is some info here Bureau of Meteorology - Queensland Flood History on what rivers flood and when (historically) so you can supposidly aviod living near the breach pionts of these rivers. I'm trying to find some maps that show these breach points and flood plains so I don't end up living there.

From the link it seems that floods are quite common and consistent in Queensland although not like the one at the moment.

My heart goes out to anyone affected.

Guest chris955

All they have to worry about now are the looters who are apparently starting to target empty houses and abandoned cars. Bury then in a big hole I reckon.

Alan we are ok here as will be your family. We have had it very mild compared to those up North, the worst of the floods seem to be approx 5hrs south of here, thats what you are seeing on TV.

Not many (if any) homes down this far were affected like the poor guys up North. It was reported as being the wettest in approx 60yrs.

Cal x

It has affected an area the size of New South Wales, it is totally unprecedented and must be heartbreaking to see your house completely under water as many are.

Yes I heard a reporter say the area of France and Germany put together for the UK perspective of the area. Tragic, it is unbelievable the rain/flood along the east coast.

Guest guest36187

Its when they show you an oz map and then overlay the flood areas....you realise how big it is.

Hearts go out to all those in QLD/NSW who are affected and all those who are indirectly affected by the floods. There are many people who live north of the floods who are affected as supplies cannot get through.

Guest The Pom Queen

A lot of new people move interstate or emigrate to Australia and do not ask these questions and sometimes end up with a low lying house in a flood prone area that the locals may not touch.

This is very true, we looked at Rocky and it never once crossed our minds whether the houses were in a flood zone, it is not something you think about. In Melbourne people worry about being in the bushfire zone but how many people consider other natural disasters:wubclub:

Guest Guest31881
Its when they show you an oz map and then overlay the flood areas....you realise how big it is.

I think the size of the flood hit home to me when it was compared to The whole of France and Germany combined being flooded.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hearts go out to all those in QLD/NSW who are affected and all those who are indirectly affected by the floods. There are many people who live north of the floods who are affected as supplies cannot get through.

They flew some emergency supplies up to us the other day like bottled water, baby food and nappies and 2 Boeing 747's are bringing 400 pallets up to us today Airlift for Cairns to restock empty shelves- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

This is very true, we looked at Rocky and it never once crossed our minds whether the houses were in a flood zone, it is not something you think about. In Melbourne people worry about being in the bushfire zone but how many people consider other natural disasters:wubclub:

Thankyou for your reply that's why I asked the question at the beginning and my first reader took it the wrong way I am sorry if I offended any of our PIO readers.

Guest Guest31881
They flew some emergency supplies up to us the other day like bottled water, baby food and nappies and 2 Boeing 747's are bringing 400 pallets up to us today Airlift for Cairns to restock empty shelves- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

It certainly makes you think about what to keep at home, I live in an area that can be cut off and i must admit I never thought about keeping tinned food or anything for emergencies before. But it is something we will now be doing.

Guest siamsusie
It certainly makes you think about what to keep at home, I live in an area that can be cut off and i must admit I never thought about keeping tinned food or anything for emergencies before. But it is something we will now be doing.

I agree Colin, something I learnt very early on with the WA cyclones... and believe it or not desert floods

Shopping List.

1. Grog shop:biggrin:

2. Woolworths to fight the housewives for the milk and bread:biggrin:

3. Stock up on all tin foods particularly if you have pets.

Guest The Pom Queen

Well we are a little worried as we have run out of toilet roll and milk, milk I can live without but I can't manage without toilet roll:shocked:

Guest siamsusie
Well we are a little worried as we have run out of toilet roll and milk, milk I can live without but I can't manage without toilet roll:shocked:

Toughen up woman, this is Australia:elvis:

4535750794_cb7abd72f6.jpg

Guest siamsusie
Well at least you didn't put a newspaper lol

:no: no Kate! situations like this makes those industrial rolls seem very very attractive

86.gif

A nice bright pink fluffy cap to cover it up when not in use:yes:

There is always something making veg dearer, frost, mildew, floods, fire, hail stones, cyclones, drought, one of these happens most years.

QLD and Northern NSW do flood quite regularly when we have rain but obviously this is the big flood.

We are due a 100 year flood in Melbourne but has not happened yet.

NZ will send veg to us a lot comes from there and Tas anyway. We also grow a lot in Victoria, oh forgot the locusts are eating our crops.

Best thing get a vege patch, grown your own fruit and veg :laugh:

Archived